Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

Brian? wrote: »
    Has anyone said a crime was committed? Genuinely curious. I know the police were called in to review comments.

Police were called in? Where is the evidence to support this statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

benjamin d wrote: »
    This nonsense is equally likely from the far left.

Both extremes are stupid. Utterly stupid. But I think it's a sign I'm growing old that in recent times I find it much easier to see through the shìte to the underlying point the right-leaning crowd are trying to make than what the left equivalent is saying. I'm sure posts to follow will tell me how wrong I am.

This sh1t is prevalent everywhere. Look at the nonsense from the wonderful Liberal bastion, The Huffington Post.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/axl-rose-tweet-nunes_us_5a62d008e4b0dc592a08e8d5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ipso wrote: »
    This sh1t is prevalent everywhere. Look at the nonsense from the wonderful Liberal bastion, The Huffington Post.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/axl-rose-tweet-nunes_us_5a62d008e4b0dc592a08e8d5

Yes, but The Huffington Post completely jumped the Shark and lost all credibility when they published an article claiming that Muhammad was a feminist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Given their embrace of Oprah level woo woo they have been air borne since inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

He's got a two and a half hour video on YouTube titles "identity politics and the Marxist lie of white privilege" for the alpha male non cucks getting withdrawl symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

20Cent wrote: »
    He's got a two and a half hour video on YouTube titles "identity politics and the Marxist lie of white privilege" for the alpha male non cucks getting withdrawl symptoms.

Another thing for you to not watch

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

Yes, but The Huffington Post completely jumped the Shark and lost all credibility when they published an article claiming that Mohammad was a feminist.

Or their recent article on how the Canadian girl who made up the fake hate attack with some man cutting her hijab deserved an apology! Or their recent glee about the new loreal hair model who wears a head scarf who incidentally resigned today due to a lot of anti-jewish tweets! Huff post is a snake pit!

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    Or their recent article on how the Canadian girls who made up the fake hate attack with some man cutting her hijab deserved an apology! Or their recent glee about the new loreal hair model who wears a head scarf who incidentally resigned today due to a lot of anti-jewish tweets! Huff post is a snake pit!

In refrence to the head scarf wearing hair model that had the progressives clapping like seals who stood down over her antisemitic tweets check out this article on the left wing BBC, the head line and first few paragraphs imply that she stood down because of all the nasty right wingers making a big deal out of her being selected as a model for hair, only later does it mention her anti Jewish hatred.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-42779188

benjamin d wrote: »
    Another thing for you to not watch

True since there is such a thing as white privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Or their recent article on how the Canadian girls who made up the fake hate attack with some man cutting her hijab deserved an apology! Or their recent glee about the new loreal hair model
    who wears a head scarf who incidentally resigned today due to a lot of anti-jewish tweets! Huff post is a snake pit!

My favourite article written in the Huff Post was one that was written by a man dressed in drag who fooled the Huff Post in South Africa that he was a Philosophy MA Student. He wrote an article calling for White men to be denied the franchise.

Read about it here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/04/25/a-huffpost-column-calling-to-disenfranchise-white-men-is-declared-hate-speech-in-south-africa/?utm_term=.918637c3bf8a

:D

• Advertisement

In refrence to the head scarf wearing hair model that had the progressives clapping like seals who stood down over her antisemitic tweets check out this article on the left wing BBC, the head line and first few paragraphs imply Thatcher stood down because of all the nasty right wingers making a big deal out of her being selected as a model for hair, only later does it mention her anti Jewish hatred.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-42779188

Can you imagine the headline being anything other than "x person stands down after islamaphobic tweets become public" if the situation was slightly different? Loreal's new diversity push ain't working out to well, remember the progressives last champion of female beauty products, she was perfect for them! A male to female trans and a minority to boot! Yeah turned out to be a massive anti-white racist and had to stand down also! Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I didn't argue with you. And I can't be arsed, to be quite honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

What about in Zimbabwe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think it is unfair to criticise someone who found themselves on television while literally hallucinating. Try it some time. Not so easy to hold a high level academic conversation while you are tripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Who’s this “Brain” character?

I'm Dyslexic, so pardon my bad spelling, never-mind that its against the charter but anyway. Its obvious I am on about you, so after you congratulate yourself on a low blow, highlighting my condition perhaps you can answer the question.

What would you deem an intelligent Feminist?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Ipso wrote: »

Yes, but The Huffington Post completely jumped the Shark and lost all credibility when they published an article claiming that Muhammad was a feminist.
    Now that is funny. A bit like that Muslim woman on the Australian show Q&A saying Islam is the most feminist religion. You can only laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,317 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Very interesting video, I must admit I hadn't heard of Dr Peterson before this but it's a pleasure to listen to someone who knows what they are talking about and refuse to be baited by feminist interviewers.

His stuff about the left wanting to destroy society is the typical North American far right bollo*ks and probably why he's adored so much by them.

Except that is not what he said but carry on.

Didn't they state, when they heard that Trump was running for the presidency that they will cover it, in their entertainment section only?

Egg, meet face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

I especially loved the part where she froze and came to the sudden realization that her grilling his viewpoints and putting him on the defensive is no different than him questioning the logic behind the pronoun nonsense in the same scenario. Why should those people and that argument be protected from criticism but not a Professors viewpoint who has vastly superior knowledge and who can articulate far beyond the logic and reasoning of those she's trying to defend. When you break it down on it's merit it's insanity and becomes glaringly obvious many of these talking points are solely emotionally charged and not based in fact and their foundations fall apart when even the smallest light is shone on them.

• Advertisement

There's really not! There is such a thing as differences in culture between racial groups! For example though many black Americans have took advantage of the opportunities that living in a country like America afforded them, Obama for example, there are significant problems within the community as a whole, for example absenteeism from fathers, the glorification of violence in rap culture and looking down on fellow blacks who chase success in education and employment as uncle Tom's!

Hell whites are not even the most successful group in America, that would be Asians, mostly Indians yet none talks of brown privilege! The whole white privilege thing is just a tool for the left to avoid talking about the real problems, it's actually also pretty racist as it strips black people of agency and makes them more like unruly children unable to help themselves, for example...

"what should be done about the fact that black people only make up 13% of the population yet are responsible for over half of all murders in America?"

Typical liberal response..

"The problem he is white privilege, we need to focus on that!"

There's really not! There is such a thing as differences in culture between racial groups! For example though many black Americans have took advantage of the opportunities that living in a country like America afforded them, Obama for example, there are significant problems within the community as a whole, for example absenteeism from fathers, the glorification of violence in rap culture and looking down on fellow blacks who chase success in education and employment as uncle Tom's!

Hell whites are not even the most successful group in America, that would be Asians, mostly Indians yet none talks of brown privilege! The whole white privilege thing is just a tool for the left to avoid talking about the real problems, it's actually also pretty racist as it strips black people of agency and makes them more like unruly children unable to help themselves, for example...

"what should be done about the fact that black people only make up 13% of the population yet are responsible for over half of all murders in America?"

Typical liberal response..

"The problem he is white privilege, we need to focus on that!"

Username checks out.

Username checks out.

Exactly the response i expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

I love Peterson. Before him I was a suicidal white straight male that was somehow privileged and an oppressor of women. Some privilege that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Username checks out.

Wow aren't you the smart one !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

markodaly wrote: »
    I'm Dyslexic, so pardon my bad spelling, never-mind that its against the charter but anyway. Its obvious I am on about you, so after you congratulate yourself on a low blow, highlighting my condition perhaps you can answer the question.

Ah come on now, it was an easy joke. People spell my name wrong all the time, I was making light of it. Apologies if it caused any offense.
    What would you deem an intelligent Feminist?

Do you honestly believe there are no intelligent feminists? There are plenty of feminists who work in fields not directly related to psychology or sociology, who are extremely intelligent. There are also plenty of wailing feminists who I have little or no respect for.

Susan Blackmore. An evolutionary psychologist is an extremely intelligent feminist, who spends very little time talking about feminism.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Beta males tend to produce girls.

[Sadface] I must be a beta so

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Buddly

Agree 100%. He had me mostly onboard until that point. His comment about “the market decides” was a bit out there as well. As if employment was a free market.

Employment markets are made up of people who want to be employed who have choices. Maybe he meant that these people decide where they want to go and sort themselves out that way. 'The market decides' that more women are in healthcare, meaning that more women than men through everyone's own free will end up in healthcare.

That is on the assumption that there is no other distortions at play, such as prejudice, which of course needs to be addressed.

His point that we shouldn't be aiming for equality of outcome is a subtle one that needs more attention. Work on equality of opportunity. When it comes to the outcome - let the market decide!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Saruhashi wrote: »
    It depends on what you mean, really.

If I call a bookshop and ask them the price of Fire & Fury then I can assume that "this person works in the bookshop" is a pretty good reason why their answer will be right.

OK, if he is talking about cars and his qualification has nothing to do with cars then sure his qualification is not a reason why he is right.

If he is talking about something related to his qualifications then that's fine by me for JP or other people to use his credentials to lend credibility to his views.

He's a professor of psychology talking about economics at times.

If he presents data to prove his assertions, even made in his own field, I'm fine with that. But the assertion that he's correct simply because he holds a Phd doesn't hold any water for me. He didn't have time to present any such data in this interview, so I am not actually arguing if he's right or wrong. I am arguing that his qualifications shouldn't be used to stifle debate on the subject matter, more proof is needed.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Just watched the debate!

Lol lol. Peterson totally owned her! Total annihilation. It was a thing of beauty to see. All her feminist claptrap being destroyed right before her eyes. She was getting saltier as iuut went on but she just wasn't able to handle his superior intellectual onslaught! :D:D:D

Advertisement