Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ferry service from Ringaskiddy to Spain

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

BoatMad wrote: »
    First Up wrote: »
    If you want to challenge the logic of taking a car to the continent, go right ahead but that isn't really the point. If people wish to bring their cars (as the growing number of ferries suggest many do) then its actually just about which one to take.

As for wine, you can offset a substantial part of your travel costs by buying a quantity in France or Spain.

what " growing number " of ferries ?

this is predominantly a freight orientated service

I think two new ships serving Ireland to France qualifies as "growing".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

if you look at the combined ferry services, out of this country , there has been little growth and in fact we lost a major ferry service some years ago.

Car based holidays are not a growth area and less likely in the future

This service will largely be freight orientated as there are good reasons for trucks to use it

if you look at the combined ferry services, out of this country , there has been little growth and in fact we lost a major ferry service some years ago.

Car based holidays are not a growth area and less likely in the future

This service will largely be freight orientated as there are good reasons for trucks to use it
    If you look a bit more closely you will see that Irish Ferries just spent €144 million on a new ship that will carry 1,200 cars from Dublin to Cherbourg three times a week this summer. Thats in addition to the Oscar Wilde from Rosslare which has been close to capacity the many times I've used it (unless I was using the equally busy Pont Aven from Cork to Roscoff.)

And a good few cars squeeze onto the Stena Horizon and the IF Epsilon too.

If you look a bit more closely you will see that Irish Ferries just spent €144 million on a new ship that will carry 1,200 cars from Dublin to Cherbourg three times a week this summer. Thats in addition to the Oscar Wilde from Rosslare which has been close to capacity the many times I've used it (unless I was using the equally busy Pont Aven from Cork to Roscoff.)

I know the WB Yeats is scheduled to supplement the french route , but I understood thats only for the 2018 Summer , its primarily designed for the UK traffic

mind you Brexit may divert that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

My brother and i will be foot passengers on this route when it opens. Get off and spend 3 or 4 days walking about. Cant wait

• Advertisement

I know the WB Yeats is scheduled to supplement the french route , but I understood thats only for the 2018 Summer , its primarily designed for the UK traffic

So do you want to revise your comment about car based holidays being on the way out?

So do you want to revise your comment about car based holidays being on the way out?

Have you tried booking yet? I thought I read somewhere that only car passengers will be allowed.

My brother and i will be foot passengers on this route when it opens. Get off and spend 3 or 4 days walking about. Cant wait
    Have you tried booking yet? I thought I read somewhere that only car passengers are allowed.

Sorry if some of these posts look weird. Doing them on the phone and the app is playing up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Have you tried booking yet? I thought I read somewhere that only car passengers are allowed.

Nope not yet its not open for booking until april i think.

Plenty of ways around that.

not at all, rising fuel costs have dammed it to extinction, it takes no sense, It was not a feature of 19th century travel nor will it be a feature of later 21th century travel either IMHO

not at all, rising fuel costs have dammed it to extinction, it takes no sense, It was not a feature of 19th century travel nor will it be a feature of later 21th century travel either IMHO

Fascinating. So are other forms of transport immune to rising fuel costs?

How is the development of hybrid commercial aircraft coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Sorry if some of these posts look weird. Doing them on the phone and the app is playing up

What's your excuse for the rest of them?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Fair play, it only took twelve days to come up with that.

Hah hah.

I'll take my chances.

The man who made time, made loads of it.

But not enough to take that ferry.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

The man who made time, made loads of it.

But not enough to take that ferry.

I've not ruled it out. Its a lot of time on a not great ship but there's a bit to be said for a lot less driving.

If I was heading to southern France or north east Spain I'd give it very serious consideration. I'll be going to the Valencia - Alicante region later in the year and I'll certainly think about this route but its hard to compete with the cheap flights and convenience.

I've not ruled it out. Its a lot of time on a not great ship but there's a bit to be said for a lot less driving.

If I was heading to southern France or north east Spain I'd give it very serious consideration. I'll be going to the Valencia - Alicante region later in the year and I'll certainly think about this route but its hard to compete with the cheap flights and convenience.

It's another option but not likely to appeal to the vast majority.

I can see it being advantageous to the small time Irish shellfish co-op member
    or even being a lifeline to some small independent trawlers.

It's a badly needed service, long may it last.

Advertisement