Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ferry service from Ringaskiddy to Spain

Options
  • 21-01-2018 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

I see Cork will be getting a new ferry route, this time to Spain. I think it is nice that Cork ferries go to Continental countries rather than the UK because that place will be leaving the EU anyway. Indeed, Brexit will if anything enhance the importance of Cork`s continental services. Of course, there is always space for expansion and I think a ferry to the Benelux countries or indeed to Germany would be a further enhancement to the connectivity of Ireland`s real capital to the rest of Europe.

With Britain wandering off on its lonesome, doorstep Dublin must now redefine itself as a regional town, as industry and commerce will naturally gravitate toward Cork. Consequently, should the revenue of the country now be spent in Cork instead of Dublin and should Dublin now finance itself with loans from Europe like Limerick has had to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Ireland`s real capital to the rest of Europe.
    Will ye ever let that go ffs. I'm not from Dublin BTW.
    With Britain wandering off on its lonesome, doorstep Dublin must now redefine itself as a regional town, as industry and commerce will naturally gravitate toward Cork. Consequently, should the revenue of the country now be spent in Cork instead of Dublin and should Dublin now finance itself with loans from Europe like Limerick has had to do?

Simply not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Anyone have any idea how long this ferry will take to get from port to port and any rough idea on price for car and 2 adults?

Can't find any info online but it looks like a long journey.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

26hours I read somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone have any idea how long this ferry will take to get from port to port and any rough idea on price for car and 2 adults?

Can't find any info online but it looks like a long journey.

26 hours I heard mentioned. The tickets go on sale later this month, no mention yet of price.

_Brian wrote: »
    26hours I read somewhere.

Was thinking it might be that long alright looking at the maps, bit too long for holidays in fairness with the options of cheap flights and cheap car rental.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Was thinking it might be that long alright looking at the maps, bit too long for holidays in fairness with the options of cheap flights and cheap car rental.
    Most passengers would rent a cabin I suspect and make the trip part of the holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I think this is the third thread I have seen on this ferry, it will probably be busy on lorries alone. Most export/import to iberia has to go via the UK (brexit issues could be a problem) or the north of France. It is a long drive for lorries to get to Spain /Portugal from there. You can have tachograph issues with making destinations on a deadline and that ferry could make the difference of two days in certain circumstances. That is only a guess by me but I am sure it would all have been researched before starting the service.

Most passengers would rent a cabin I suspect and make the trip part of the holiday.

What kind of cabins do you envisage will be on this ship?

Being stuck on a ferry twice for 26 hours wouldn't be my idea of a holiday but if that's what you are into knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Being stuck on a ferry twice for 26 hours wouldn't be my idea of a holiday but if that's what you are into knock yourself out.
    When I was a kid (was probably 1989) went from Rosslare to France on the overnigher. We were all in bed by 11pm, but my dad couldn't sleep, so went for a walk. When he came back, he said that we must be the only ones asleep, as everyone was up partying!

Most people see such a trip as a booze cruise, even today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I see Cork will be getting a new ferry route, this time to Spain. I think it is nice that Cork ferries go to Continental countries rather than the UK because that place will be leaving the EU anyway. Indeed, Brexit will if anything enhance the importance of Cork`s continental services. Of course, there is always space for expansion and I think a ferry to the Benelux countries or indeed to Germany would be a further enhancement to the connectivity of Ireland`s real capital to the rest of Europe.

I think you forgot that unlike the Middle Ages we have things called planes now that do the bulk of valuable transport quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

From what I can see, this is very much a toe in the water for Brittany Ferries on that route. They're using quite a small ship and it's wet-leased from a Cypriot company using non-French crews.

I'd say if you see big demand for it, they'll probably put a bigger ship onto the route. Hopefully plenty of people book. It's a very handy route if you're heading to Spain with the family. It's even quite a good route for accessing the SW of France without a major drive. It's a lovely drive rather than a very long motorway drive from the NW.

It's great to see a new ferry route out of Cork, but in terms of freight traffic, there's already serious amounts of that flowing through Cork to continental Europe.

The one handy thing about ships and ports is that you can sail them anywhere, so with Brexit (assuming that it ever actually happens...) it's just a matter of shipping resources serving Irish ports refocusing, as necessary. We definitely need to have contingencies planned, but I get the distinct feeling reality will dawn in the UK in 2018 and pragmatism will takeover to the point that Brexit will probably either be just a minor change or won't happen at all.

The most urgent thing in Cork is getting the expanded terminals at Ringaskiddy ready to roll and getting that motorway link from the N40 South Ring to Ringaskiddy up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Skedaddle wrote: »
    From what I can see, this is very much a toe in the water for Brittany Ferries on that route. They're using quite a small ship and it's wet-leased from a Cypriot company using non-French crews.

I'd say if you see big demand for it, they'll probably put a bigger ship onto the route. Hopefully plenty of people book. It's a very handy route if you're heading to Spain with the family. It's even quite a good route for accessing the SW of France without a major drive. It's a lovely drive rather than a very long motorway drive from the NW.

It's great to see a new ferry route out of Cork, but in terms of freight traffic, there's already serious amounts of that flowing through Cork to continental Europe.

The one handy thing about ships and ports is that you can sail them anywhere, so with Brexit (assuming that it ever actually happens...) it's just a matter of shipping resources serving Irish ports refocusing, as necessary. We definitely need to have contingencies planned, but I get the distinct feeling reality will dawn in the UK in 2018 and pragmatism will takeover to the point that Brexit will probably either be just a minor change or won't happen at all.

The most urgent thing in Cork is getting the expanded terminals at Ringaskiddy ready to roll and getting that motorway link from the N40 South Ring to Ringaskiddy up and running.

They will do good business in May if Leinster, Munster and Connaught make it to the rugby finals in Bilbao.

I'll be interested to see the prices but my main concern is the ship. I understand it will be similar to the Stena boat that does the Rosslare-Cherbourg route and that is hard enough going for a 16 hours crossing. These boats cater more for freight drivers than for holidaymakers - one cafeteria style restaurant, a very functional bar, a cinema and little enough else. The cabins are OK (and essential for a 26 hour journey) but you wouldn't want to be spending a day in one and it might be hard to find any peace and quiet anywhere else.

The sailing schedule will also be important. A 26 hour crossing plus getting off/on time means the departure times are likely to vary from day to day and may not always be user-friendly. Getting to the port of Cork for a morning departure could be a challenge.

But its a welcome new option and with Irish Ferries offering daily sailings to France from Dublin or Rosslare plus Stena to Cherbourg and Brittany Ferries to Roscoff, we have a good choice and hopefully some price competition.

Bigus wrote: »
    I think you forgot that unlike the Middle Ages we have things called planes now that do the bulk of valuable transport quickly.
    Then you are mistaken, besides planes generally don`t fly 20ft and 40ft container freight.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

First Up wrote: »
    The sailing schedule will also be important. A 26 hour crossing plus getting off/on time means the departure times are likely to vary from day to day and may not always be user-friendly. Getting to the port of Cork for a morning departure could be a challenge.

Think I heard earlier it'll be a friday night sailing to start with. Really hope it works out.

Rave.ef wrote: »

Think I heard earlier it'll be a friday night sailing to start with. Really hope it works out.
    Me too but its hard to see how a fixed time schedule can be maintained within the journey times required. You can just about fit four 26 hour crossings to Santander, plus loading/unloading and two 16 hour crossings to Roscoff into a 148 hour week, but you can't do it at the same time every day. I'll be interested to see the schedule.

I'm all for this ferry being a success and hopefully growing, it sounds like it's potentially a winner for haulage companies and hopefully will create local employment.

It's very interesting reading this thread to see that people would take the ferry for a holiday knowing it to be a 26 hour trip. I don't think I'd do that trip if I was paid to be honest, and I'd of probably refused to go if my parents booked it when I was a child. I'd rather stay at home on me own and mind the dog.

I'm all for this ferry being a success and hopefully growing, it sounds like it's potentially a winner for haulage companies and hopefully will create local employment.

It's very interesting reading this thread to see that people would take the ferry for a holiday knowing it to be a 26 hour trip. I don't think I'd do that trip if I was paid to be honest, and I'd of probably refused to go if my parents booked it when I was a child. I'd rather stay at home on me own and mind the dog.

People spend a lot longer than 26 hours on some ships and enjoy themselves hugely but I have concerns about being on what is essentially a truckers ferry for that long. But lets see what they are offering.

People spend a lot longer than 26 hours on some ships and enjoy themselves hugely but I have concerns about being on what is essentially a truckers ferry for that long. But lets see what they are offering.

Yes I agree, I suppose it's bound to suit some people.

They should openly tell people at this stage what exactly is on offer and how much it will cost.

Yes I agree, I suppose it's bound to suit some people.

They should openly tell people at this stage what exactly is on offer and how much it will cost.

I expect they will. It would be hard for people to book otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the first post mentions that there should be a ferry from Ireland to Holland/ Belgium, obviously not aware that there actually is a service.

The worlds largest ro-ro ferry the Mv Celine runs between Dublin and Zebrugge every other day for truck trailer traffic only.
    Irish ferries Ulyses was the worlds largest ferry in terms of capacity when it was launched, but this ferry has double that, 8000 lane metres !

If the truck trailers were parked back to back up the road out of Dublin port, it would stretch through the port tunnel as far as where the M50 meets the M1 by the airport! Its that much capacity.

• Advertisement

the first post mentions that there should be a ferry from Ireland to Holland/ Belgium, obviously not aware that there actually is a service.

The worlds largest ro-ro ferry the Mv Celine runs between Dublin and Zebrugge every other day for truck trailer traffic only.
    Irish ferries Ulyses was the worlds largest ferry in terms of capacity when it was launched, but this ferry has double that, 8000 lane metres !

If the truck trailers were parked back to back up the road out of Dublin port, it would stretch through the port tunnel as far as where the M50 meets the M1 by the airport! Its that much capacity.

Just as well there won't be cars queuing behind them!

Cheers, Captain Obvious.

Cheers, Captain Obvious.
    That'll be Senor Sarcasm to you, amigo.

I heard today that there will be no foot passengers or cyclists catered for on this new service, access and egress strictly for vehicles only.

Still no idea of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

The Celine only runs once a week, Rotterdam-Zeebrugge(Belgium)-Dublin and return.. a sister ship is on order to take up a second rotation but for now the service is also operated by smaller ships running direct to/from either Rotterdam or Zeebrugge..

Transit is 36 hours port to port though so can’t imagine it would be popular with passengers and the Celine has been very poor for punctuality since introduced..

I heard today that there will be no foot passengers or cyclists catered for on this new service, access and egress strictly for vehicles only.

Still no idea of cost.
    If you don`t have a car, I guess you could go by coach.

Ferry cabins.

Personally I would not like to be stuck on ship for a week long cruise, but 26 hours each way sounds perfect.

Ferry cabins.

Personally I would not like to be stuck on ship for a week long cruise, but 26 hours each way sounds perfect.

All ferry cabins are comfortable but intended for sleep and not much else.

Cruise ships are designed as entertainment centres - in effect they are destinations well able to keep passengers happy for a week or longer.

Passenger ferries like the Oscar Wilde, Pont Aven or the new WB Yeates have a good enough range of public areas and amusements to occupy a thousand customers for a 14-18 hour crossing.

The vessel that will operate the Cork - Santander route (and the Stena boat that does Cork - Cherbourg) are a step down from these. They are comfortable enough but have much less facilities as they cater more for truck drivers than families. The Irish Ferries "economy" ship the Epsilon is similar.

26 hours on one of these will feel pretty long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

the_syco wrote: »
    When I was a kid (was probably 1989) went from Rosslare to France on the overnigher. We were all in bed by 11pm, but my dad couldn't sleep, so went for a walk. When he came back, he said that we must be the only ones asleep, as everyone was up partying!

Most people see such a trip as a booze cruise, even today.

We do Roslare- France each summer for the last 15 years. Cabins are grand and with two young kids we aren’t on a Booze cruise, just a regular holiday night, we’d have a few drinks and play cards or watch movies in the room. Sometimes it’s very rough and we’d all hit the bunks, cabins have a tv which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Hopefully it'll be a success and then get upgraded to a nicer ship.
    I get the distinct impression that this is a minimal risk route tester. I'd say if they get strong demand, you'll probably see a cruise ferry on it - from a tourism point of view, it's the IDEAL route for one.

Advertisement