Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog hit by car in finglas Saturday 20/01/18

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Omackeral wrote: »
    #Pray4Pac1Man

Tanks Hun xxx D angils are with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Collie D wrote: »
    No, the taxi driver shouldn't be left out of pocket but depends how he goes about it. Demanding money from someone who's just seen their dog killed isn't very tactful. I'm not even sure how I'd broach that particular subject.

How much damage can hitting a dog do anyway? Granted, there'd be a bit of an unpleasant clean up job but you'd need to be talking about a beast of an animal and motorway speeds for a two week repair job in which case a dead dog and a damaged car are probably the least of driver' concerns.

A friend was driving along the road at 80(legally) and a dog ran out from its garden and hit her car. Radiator, bumper, wing and damage to her engine compartment. The cost of repairs was significant.

A terrier slipped it's leash and ran out under my car. No damage done as I went over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I drank some orange juice that was sitting in the fridge for about two weeks today. The bottle says it should be consumed within 3 days after it's opened.

I hope things turn out ok.

Shortly you'll have hallucinations of a dog driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Collie D wrote: »
    Demanding money from someone who's just seen their dog killed isn't very tactful.
    I'm not even sure how I'd broach that particular subject.
    When's a good time to bring it up?
    You need to ask them at the time so as you can get their details.
    How much damage can hitting a dog do anyway?
    Your talking about €50-80 an hour for labour.
    Plus the costs of parts on top of that, which are usually extortionate.
    So you can easily get into hundreds, if not thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I prefer when i hit a cat.
    Maybe its because im a dog person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Whilst a dog must be under control, a driver has to also be ready for the unexpected. There is a lot of talk about when a dog runs out but how about a child ? If you are driving past a dog on a lead or a child on a pavement, you should be aware of what could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Collie D reminded me of a situation recently. A dog owner was walking their dog on the pavement. It was one of those extendable leads. The owner wasn't paying attention and just as I was passing the dog walked onto the road. I only narrowly missed hitting the dog.

If I had hit the dog, would it be a clear case of the dog wasn't under control?

Absolutely. If the dog could wander on to the road, it was not under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Hate to think of what type of person would be more concerned about getting the details of a very upset owner, than actually sharing their sympathies. If you were to brake, as you should be able to in an emergency I doubt the dog would do a massive amount of damage, especially a smaller/medium sized dog. I'd personally let it go and pay for repairs myself, plus I'd be too inconsolable if I hit a dog to even think to ask for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

me_irl wrote: »
    Dinner sorted! Thanks a mil.

Head banger spotted on N52.

Absolutely. If the dog could wander on to the road, it was not under control.

Good old it has to be black or white. Say an owner fell & let go of a lead, or a collar broke, or a visitor didn't close a gate properly ?

I agree that the majority are dogs that are illegally allowed to stray & the Guards won't act - they won't even prosecute when vehicles hit horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

222233 wrote: »
    Hate to think of what type of person would be more concerned about getting the details of a very upset owner, than actually sharing their sympathies. If you were to brake, as you should be able to in an emergency I doubt the dog would do a massive amount of damage, especially a smaller/medium sized dog. I'd personally let it go and pay for repairs myself, plus I'd be too inconsolable if I hit a dog to even think to ask for details.

Well said. You would want to be some cold hearted sod to expect a bereaved owner to stump up to pay for car repairs. Not a chance in the world I would ask for money. There are a million and one reasons why a dog could end up running onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Discodog wrote: »
    Good old it has to be black or white. Say an owner fell & let go of a lead, or a collar broke, or a visitor didn't close a gate properly ?

So you are saying that the dog is under control in those situations?

I agree that the majority are dogs that are illegally allowed to stray & the Guards won't act - they won't even prosecute when vehicles hit horses.

You can twist and turn a situation all you like. The question was simply about dogs on extending leashes allowed wander on to a road. Throwing in a hypothetical fall, broken collar, and careless visitor is deliberately muddying the waters.

And, the visitor leaving a gate open doesn't negate responsibly for any damage the dog may do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I knocked down a dog in Finglas about a year ago.
    Slipped it's lead and ran under my wheel. The owner was lucky it didn't cause my car any damage.

The alternate version....I stopped and the owner has the dog on the grass verge where it died. Nothing I could do except commiserate with the owner , Had kids in the car so I had to keep going.

My Son asked if they'd put it in a box and bring it to the church like happened his granny a week previous.

You hit granny with the car??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Years ago my dad ran over a dog and killed it. He went to report the matter to the nearest Garda Station in case the owner came by. The Garda said to him, 'What do you want me to do? Inform the next of kin?'

You can twist and turn a situation all you like. The question was simply about dogs on extending leashes allowed wander on to a road. Throwing in a hypothetical fall, broken collar, and careless visitor is deliberately muddying the waters.

And, the visitor leaving a gate open doesn't negate responsibly for any damage the dog may do.

Let's all live in a World where, even if people try to do their best, they are castigated when it goes wrong. Hopefully the self righteous won't ever find themselves in the same situation.

Extending leads can be dangerous & are not suitable for walking next to roads.

Let's all live in a World where, even if people try to do their best, they are castigated when it goes wrong. Hopefully the self righteous won't ever find themselves in the same situation.

Extending leads can be dangerous & are not suitable for walking next to roads.

I'm not sure what your point is. I said the extending lead was wrong and didn't control a dog that wanders on to a road.

We all do our best. Motorists do their best but still have accidents. It doesn't grant them immunity from the repercussions though. If my dog should cause an accident and damage to a car I would expect to have to make reparations. High horsing it about the self righteous doesn't address the issue. If you're liable you're liable, be you the motorist who negligently injures a dog, or a dog owner responsible for damage to a car.

I'm not sure what your point is. I said the extending lead was wrong and didn't control a dog that wanders on to a road.

We all do our best. Motorists do their best but still have accidents. It doesn't grant them immunity from the repercussions though. If my dog should cause an accident and damage to a car I would expect to have to make reparations. High horsing it about the self righteous doesn't address the issue. If you're liable you're liable, be you the motorist who negligently injures a dog, or a dog owner responsible for damage to a car.

So, for example if the driver is speeding or failing to drive appropriately to the conditions, he is at fault for being unable to stop.

222233 wrote: »

The type of person who would be facing a bill of several thousand euro to repair the damage the dog which was uncontrolled caused and which was caused through no fault of their own.

• Advertisement

You hit granny with the car??

No she just died of old age:D

So, for example if the driver is speeding or failing to drive appropriately to the conditions, he is at fault for being unable to stop.
    Was the dog under control?

:confused: Not fully, no. But if, as was a case raised earlier, he stuck a dog on a leash at a pedestrian crossing he would be. Let's be straight here. Most cases of a being struck by a car are simple. The dog is unrestrained and not under control. Where I live there are byelaws where it is illegal to have a dog unleashed in any public area. Should such a dog be struck by a car, the owner has no legal recourse and is liable for damage caused as a result.
    I'm not defending motorists and I am a dog owner but the legality is fairly straight forward.

But keep looking for the grey areas rather than just accepting the rules as they apply.

Was the dog under control?

Would a child be or a person that slipped off their bike etc ?

Just because it's an animal doesn't mean that you can ignore it

:confused: Not fully, no. But if, as was a case raised earlier, he stuck a dog on a leash at a pedestrian crossing he would be. Let's be straight here. Most cases of a being struck by a car are simple. The dog is unrestrained and not under control. Where I live there are byelaws where it is illegal to have a dog unleashed in any public area. Should such a dog be struck by a car, the owner has no legal recourse and is liable for damage caused as a result.
    I'm not defending motorists and I am a dog owner but the legality is fairly straight forward.

But keep looking for the grey areas rather than just accepting the rules as they apply.

I accept the law, but in the case of animals, the law is rarely applied.

Would a child be or a person that slipped off their bike etc ?

Just because it's an animal doesn't mean that you can ignore it

Who said anybody would ignore it? Have you seen the damage a dog does to a car, for a start?
    I accept the law, but in the case of animals, the law is rarely applied.

I give up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

What "legal repercussions"... the only advice about the law I've ever heard about hitting an animal on the road was that you should blow them out of it rather than swerve or stop suddenly and possibly cause a major accident. The latter is a real danger of animals in the road, and people should NOT risk that. Noone wants to intentionally hit an animal, but if they're going to be in the middle of the road you may have no safe choice not to. There isn't always someone to blame.

Also you have to define what you mean by "speeding". Every single person on the road in Ireland breaks the ridiculous speed limits set in some places.

Advertisement