Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog hit by car in finglas Saturday 20/01/18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    My hole is neither high nor low, just middling.

Because as a moderator, it’s obviously mandatory to sneer at someones expression of concern,.

Agree to post to Finglas forum OP ....people might have a bit more savvy there..sorry you had to witness a dog being run down, not sure about the mentality of anyone mocking a dog being run down, I hope they are ok too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Collie D wrote: »
    Believe what you like. Or do you think everyone in a car stops at red lights?

You have your own wee story made up for this incident. Let's be straight and honest for a moment. Much as I love dogs, most dogs are hit by cars because the dogs wandered onto the road. Very few have been hit while on a lead. I'm sure it has happened somewhere at some time but it's a rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You have your own wee story made up for this incident. Let's be straight and honest for a moment. Much as I love dogs, most dogs are hit by cars because the dogs wandered onto the road. Very few have been hit while on a lead. I'm sure it has happened somewhere at some time but it's a rarity.

As I said believe what you like. I've no doubt that most dogs hit by cars are unleashed.

Mine was, I'd never walk a dog by a road without one. Plenty of dickheads on the roads trying to save a few seconds by breaking lights, not sure what's so unbelievable about it in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Oh, condescension. You quoted my posts so I presumed you read them.

I did. But you asked the question about what hypothetical situation I was thinking of before you gave me a hypothetical situation. Why didn’t you ask the question after and directly in relation to your hypothetical situation? Most logical thinking people would take the question and your story to be separate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

As I said believe what you like. I've no doubt that most dogs hit by cars are unleashed.

Mine was, I'd never walk a dog by a road without one. Plenty of dickheads on the roads trying to save a few seconds by breaking lights, not sure what's so unbelievable about it in this case.

But your dog wasn’t hit so it’s a poor example of owners not being liable for damages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Most drivers who hit dogs are heartless bastards. Did you not know that? It's on page 47 of the rules of the road. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps the majority of incidents are accidents and most drivers feel terrible for hitting any animal with their car.
    Jesus, if some heartless bastard ran my dog over and then said he was suing me I don't know what my response would be but doubtful it would be pleasant.

I did. But you asked the question about what hypothetical situation I was thinking of before you gave me a hypothetical situation. Why didn’t you ask the question after and directly in relation to your hypothetical situation? Most logical thinking people would take the question and your story to be separate.

But the hypothetical was in my first post.

Ah, never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ah, never mind.

It’s nit hypothetical if it actually happened.

amcalester wrote: »
    It’s nit hypothetical if it actually happened.

My first post was a hypothetical where I said "if my dog was hit" and then I gave an actual example in the second of where she almost was.

Ah, never mind.

You mean hypothetically your first post?
    It was actually your 3rd post that you mentioned hypothetical but sure never mind.

• Advertisement

I've knocked down a couple of dogs. Felt sorry for the dogs, little sympathy for the owners who left the dogs wander about...

I'm quoting myself here but wonder what your thoughts are on this hypothetical situation Collie D...

Taxi hits a dog (not on a lead). Taxi feels terrible. Owner obviously distraught. Taximan sends his car for repair. It's a costly repair. Unable to work for a week or two. Only the one income in the house. Two kids etc. Should the owner of the dog compensate the taximan?
    Most drivers who hit dogs are heartless bastards. Did you not know that? It's on page 47 of the rules of the road. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps the majority of incidents are accidents and most drivers feel terrible for hitting any animal with their car.

You mean hypothetically your first post?
    It was actually your 3rd post that you mentioned hypothetical but sure never mind.

The hypothetical was the first and then I pointed out to you in the second (or third as you say, I'm not going to split hairs with you on that) that it was a hypothetical.

Generally if a post starts with "IF..." it's a hypothetical without the need for that to be stated.

But yes, never mind...all this hypothetical makes me feel like I'm back in Junior Cert Maths.

And it must be boring to read so feel free to PM.

The hypothetical was the first and then I pointed out to you in the second (or third as you say, I'm not going to split hairs with you on that) that it was a hypothetical.

Generally if a post starts with "IF..." it's a hypothetical without the need for that to be stated.

But yes, never mind...all this hypothetical makes me feel like I'm back in Junior Cert Maths.

And it must be boring to read so feel free to PM.

You have a strange way of trying to pick up guys and I’ll kindly decline your offer. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

anewme wrote: »
    Because as a moderator, it’s obviously mandatory to sneer at someones expression of concern,.

Agree to post to Finglas forum OP ....people might have a bit more savvy there..sorry you had to witness a dog being run down, not sure about the mentality of anyone mocking a dog being run down, I hope they are ok too.

Not mandatory, I do it of my own accord.

I'm quoting myself here but wonder what your thoughts are on this hypothetical situation Collie D...

Taxi hits a dog (not on a lead). Taxi feels terrible. Owner obviously distraught. Taximan sends his car for repair. It's a costly repair. Unable to work for a week or two. Only the one income in the house. Two kids. Should the owner of the dog compensate the taximan?

Don't really know, don't really care. In my case my dog is always leashed. I wouldn't be in that scenario.

I missed your first post btw. Just to clarify I didn't mean anyone who hits a dog is a heartless bastard but I'd find an instant demand for compensation a bit harsh. I had an idea someone would pick up on that as I hit "post" but didn't bother amending.

You have a strange way of trying to pick up guys and I’ll kindly decline your offer. :p

Well I was going to say "you're like a dog with a bone" but thought better of it

Well I was going to say "you're like a dog with a bone" but thought better of it

You’re the one holding on (to hope that I say yes) not me! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Don't really know, don't really care. In my case my dog is always leashed. I wouldn't be in that scenario.

I missed your first post btw. Just to clarify I didn't mean anyone who hits a dog is a heartless bastard but I'd find an instant demand for compensation a bit harsh. I had an idea someone would pick up on that as I hit "post" but didn't bother amending.

So would the taxi driver Project Moose referred to also be a bit harsh in demanding someone pay him to repair his car and put food on the table for his family while he can't work due to someone not being in control of their animal?

So would the taxi driver Project Moose referred to also be a bit harsh in demanding someone pay him to repair his car and put food on the table for his family while he can't work due to someone not being in control of their animal?

As I said I don't know. I've only been posting from my own perspective. What does the law say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Another gangland hit? Where do the newspapers get these silly names from?

At least we know it wasn't this collie, phew

As I said I don't know. I've only been posting from my own perspective. What does the law say?

Law says the owner is liable for costs due to not being in control of their animal
    You say it's harsh! So back to my question....what is the taxi driver meant to do from your perspective?

Law says the owner is liable for costs due to not being in control of their animal
    You say it's harsh! So back to my question....what is the taxi driver meant to do from your perspective?

From my perspective and in the example I gave my dog is leashed, crossing at a designated place and under control so the taxi driver can **** off and starve for all I care as he's in the wrong.

Collie D reminded me of a situation recently. A dog owner was walking their dog on the pavement. It was one of those extendable leads. The owner wasn't paying attention and just as I was passing the dog walked onto the road. I only narrowly missed hitting the dog.

If I had hit the dog, would it be a clear case of the dog wasn't under control?

From my perspective and in the example I gave my dog is leashed, crossing at a designated place and under control so the taxi driver can **** off and starve for all I care as he's in the wrong.
    You're avoiding answering the scenario where the dog isn't under control.
    We all know you had yours on a lead and was under control...driver is at fault.

Or what if your dog slipped it's lead like happened me?

You're avoiding answering the scenario where the dog isn't under control.
    We all know you had yours on a lead and was under control...driver is at fault.

No, the taxi driver shouldn't be left out of pocket but depends how he goes about it. Demanding money from someone who's just seen their dog killed isn't very tactful. I'm not even sure how I'd broach that particular subject.

How much damage can hitting a dog do anyway? Granted, there'd be a bit of an unpleasant clean up job but you'd need to be talking about a beast of an animal and motorway speeds for a two week repair job in which case a dead dog and a damaged car are probably the least of driver' concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

No, the taxi driver shouldn't be left out of pocket but depends how he goes about it. Demanding money from someone who's just seen their dog killed isn't very tactful. I'm not even sure how I'd broach that particular subject.

How much damage can hitting a dog do anyway? Granted, there'd be a bit of an unpleasant clean up job but you'd need to be talking about a beast of an animal and motorway speeds for a two week repair job in which case a dead dog and a damaged car are probably the least of driver' concerns.

a guy I know hit a big dog with his newish car. dog shot out a gate at the last minute . he was only doing 60 km in an 80 km
    it damaged the end of the wing,
    all the bumper had to be replaced
    led head light
    fog light
    valance piece
    bonnet damage
    emblem damage
    grill damage
    loads of plastic stuff between the engine and bumper.

it cost thousands to fix the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Never mind the dog, this whole thread is a complete car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I drank some orange juice that was sitting in the fridge for about two weeks today. The bottle says it should be consumed within 3 days after it's opened.

I hope things turn out ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I drank some orange juice that was sitting in the fridge for about two weeks today. The bottle says it should be consumed within 3 days after it's opened.

I hope things turn out ok.

#Pray4Pac1Man

Advertisement