Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liabilty Insurance

Options
  • 20-01-2018 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi who would I ring to get full insurance for in the case I am in and accident and it's my fault. My bike is covered on my house insurance but that doesn't cover liability if I happen to cause damage to a car or person. I was wondering for a case like I fell on black ice and damaged a persons car fell onto a person on the path beside the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Get a CI licence. Public liability is covered on it. Check the website for details:

Www.cyclingireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Hi who would I ring to get full insurance for in the case I am in and accident and it's my fault. My bike is covered on my house insurance but that doesn't cover liability if I happen to cause damage to a car or person. I was wondering for a case like I fell on black ice and damaged a persons car fell onto a person on the path beside the road.

Are you sure your house insurance doesn’t cover you. I know a guy that had a claim against him when he hit injured someone when he hit them with ball while playing golf and his house insurance covered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Insurance12

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Get a CI licence. Public liability is covered on it. Check the website for details:
    Thanks I didn't realise I could get that as a commuter I thought it was just for racers and events.

Are you sure your house insurance doesn’t cover you. I know a guy that had a claim against him when he hit injured someone when he hit them with ball while playing golf and his house insurance covered it.
    I got the impression it would just cover the thief of the bike my commuting bike isn't even on it as I bought it second hand and was too old with no receipt so they only added my good bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my house insurance comes with personal liability cover. this is separate from the insurance which covers my bike under general contents - it's covered for theft from the house (i chose not to insure it outside the house)

exactly what the CI insurance does/does not cover has come up for debate multiple times here.
    also, exempting the recent case where someone sued a cyclist, i'd be curious to know how often it happens in ireland that a cyclist has had to make use of their insurance to cover such damage.

• Advertisement

I would just want to be covered after the case in England and that case in Dublin while I obey the rules of the road having insurance in case the the worst happened like slipping on black ice or the likes and did big damage to a car or hit on human on the way down is not something I could afford to pay out if sued.
    What might be missing from the CI insurance? I will ring AXA and the car insurance places Monday and see it they offer a bike insurance like the car ones.

[font=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]From the Cycling Ireland website:
    [/font]

[font=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Leisure membership (also known as a non-competition licence) covers you while you are out training, on club spins, and while participating in leisure / sportive events. The fee is €50 if you are based in Leinster, Munster or Connacht. The fee for Ulster members is €56/£50.

Insurance cover and benefits for a leisure member are the same as any other membership option but this licence will not allow you to participate in competitive event

[/font]
    [font=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]That kinda sounds like it would not cover my commuting.
    [/font]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is from the standard zurich home insurance policy (under 'what is insured' - it does not make mention of whether the accident is inside or outside the home):
    Liability to the public.
    Any amounts which you, as owner of the premises, become legally liable to pay as compensation for an accident occurring during the period of insurance which causes bodily injury to a person or accidental loss of or damage to property. The most we will pay for any one claim or number of claims arising from one cause is €1,300,000 plus costs agreed by us in writing.

https://www.zurich.ie/home-insurance-policy-document-oct-17.pdf

this is from the standard zurich home insurance policy (under 'what is insured' - it does not make mention of whether the accident is inside or outside the home):
    My home insurance is just renters contents so I don't think I get that kinda cover.

my concern would be that taking out public liability insurance (if the CI insurance above is not enough) is enough of a rarity in ireland that the insurance company would immediately assume you've something to hide (so to speak) and will assume you're doing it because you consider yourself at high risk of being sued.

• Advertisement

I guess if I did serious damage in an accident they wouldn't be able to get blood out of a stone, my good bike is the most expensive thing I own and rent with a minimum wage job means there is nothing to collect. Was thinking of that poor old man in Dublin and if I came off on black ice on the road and went into the path on the way down an took out an old person I would like to be covered for them.

The CI insurance doesn't seem to cover commuting at all, I will ring on Monday to AXA and the likes hopefully they understand I just want to be a responsible commuter as my bike is my only mode of transport but I am surprised there is not much know on how to get liability cover for cyclists I cannot be the first to want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

https://www.zurich.ie/home-insurance-policy-document-oct-17.pdf

I would always read those terms as referring to cover in and about the insured premises. (Cover for tradesmen working/ visitors or people struck by debris (eg tiles from roof/falling tree) from the premises. I may be wrong.

It should be possible to have/get third party cover – no questions asked. It’s common/recommended to have such cover in Germany/Switzerland. We are so far behind on things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I guess if I did serious damage in an accident they wouldn't be able to get blood out of a stone, my good bike is the most expensive thing I own and rent with a minimum wage job means there is nothing to collect. Was thinking of that poor old man in Dublin and if I came off on black ice on the road and went into the path on the way down an took out an old person I would like to be covered for them.The CI insurance doesn't seem to cover commuting at all, I will ring on Monday to AXA and the likes hopefully they understand I just want to be a responsible commuter as my bike is my only mode of transport but I am surprised there is not much know on how to get liability cover for cyclists I cannot be the first to want it.

Make sure you get Pedestrian insurance also in case you trip up whilst walking and fall over someone...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The CI insurance doesn't seem to cover commuting at all, I will ring on Monday to AXA and the likes hopefully they understand I just want to be a responsible commuter as my bike is my only mode of transport but I am surprised there is not much know on how to get liability cover for cyclists I cannot be the first to want it.

Probably as it's not really hazardous enough to generally warrant needing insurance I would think.

Come on now, I commute everywhere and an accident at speed be it on ice or any other reason could really hurt someone, is wanting to get insurance for protection that much of issue? I mean the story of the old man in Dublin and seeing a woman go down on black ice recently made me think it would be a good idea as I realise going into someone at speed can do them and me serious damage and would like cover I am not saying it should be mandatory just I would like to get it.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Come on now, I commute everywhere and an accident at speed be it on ice or any other reason could really hurt someone, is wanting to get insurance for protection that much of issue? I mean the story of the old man in Dublin and seeing a woman go down on black ice recently made me think it would be a good idea as I realise going into someone at speed can do them and me serious damage and would like cover I am not saying it should be mandatory just I would like to get it.

Should have Road Tax and licence plates too, you know, in case you happen to not see someone whilst cycling?
    How is that the same as wanting to get insurance cover for if the worst happens, I am not forcing you to get cover just I think I would like the peace of mind of having it.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Should have Road Tax and licence plates too, you know, in case you happen to not see someone whilst cycling?
    How is that the same as wanting to get insurance cover for if the worst happens, I am not forcing you to get cover just I think I would like the peace of mind of having it.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    It should be possible to have/get third party cover – no questions asked. It’s common/recommended to have such cover in Germany/Switzerland. We are so far behind on things like this.
    sure, they have it - to what end? how often do people need recourse to such insurance if being sued due to causing accidents while cycling or just going about their personal business?
    i work with germans. they (generic use - not all of them) *love* paperwork, and love the idea of spending loads of time discussing and accounting for marginal situations.

So there is one case of a cyclist being at fault and it warrants insurance. There have been collisions and even a cyclist death where a pedestrian was at fault. Shouldn’t you get pedestrian insurance too just in case?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    sure, they have it - to what end? how often do people need recourse to such insurance if being sued due to causing accidents while cycling or just going about their personal business?
    i work with germans. they (generic use - not all of them) *love* paperwork, and love the idea of spending loads of time discussing and accounting for marginal situations.
    With Irish compo culture thinking paying €50 a year for if the worst happened  is something I would think worthwhile and useful to have is not a bad idea, I got renters content insurance and while most in Ireland don't I thought it was worth it for if the worst happens I am not saying these insurance packages should be mandatory but surely some cyclists must have got liability insurance, cycling is my only mode of transport I use it daily for cycle a few hours.
    I think of it like I would pay extra for full car insurance rather then just third party if I got a car  as I would like to be covered if the worst should happen.

• Advertisement

So there is one case of a cyclist being at fault and it warrants insurance. There have been collisions and even a cyclist death where a pedestrian was at fault. Shouldn’t  you get pedestrian insurance too just in case?
    If AXA or the likes offer a general cycle and walking liability package I will get that one as it wouldn't hurt I guess but I spend far more time cycling versus walking and there is greater chance of damage if the accident was while on my bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I guess if I did serious damage in an accident they wouldn't be able to get blood out of a stone, my good bike is the most expensive thing I own and rent with a minimum wage job means there is nothing to collect. Was thinking of that poor old man in Dublin and if I came off on black ice on the road and went into the path on the way down an took out an old person I would like to be covered for them.

I checked with CI recently.commuing is covered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is that not the whole point of having it? For the time you need it?

When on holiday, we all generally have travel insurance. Mostly it’s not needed. So it’s a waste of money/expense ? Try having an accident or medical issue in a foreign county without it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

With Irish compo culture thinking paying €50 a year for if the worst happened  is something I would think worthwhile and useful to have is not a bad idea, I got renters content insurance and while most in Ireland don't I thought it was worth it for if the worst happens I am not saying these insurance packages should be mandatory but surely some cyclists must have got liability insurance, cycling is my only mode of transport I use it daily for cycle a few hours.
    I think of it like I would pay extra for full car insurance rather then just third party if I got a car  as I would like to be covered if the worst should happen.

There is no way it would only cost 50euro, the paperwork, and set up of such a scheme means that you are looking on par with low cost motor insurance to cover you, particularly if you are the only person using it.

CramCycle wrote: »

The cycle Ireland one is only €50 if that covers commuting, needs to be confirmed and I cannot be the only commuter who has though insurance might be a good idea in the case of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

So there is one case of a cyclist being at fault and it warrants insurance. There have been collisions and even a cyclist death where a pedestrian was at fault. Shouldn’t you get pedestrian insurance too just in case?

It should be common place for people to have public liability insurance for damages they cause to others regardless of how it happens. Why should the person you injure have to pay for your mistake?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The cycle Ireland one is only €50 if that covers commuting, needs to be confirmed and I cannot be the only commuter who has though insurance might be a good idea in the case of an accident.
    It was quoted at the AGM as covering commuting this year. I am talking about a non existent one being set up for all scenarios, and that said insurer needs to cover costs and would only do it to make a profit. The Ci Insurance has been loss making for a few years now and is rising to accommodate this.
    It should be common place for people to have public liability insurance for damages they cause to others regardless of how it happens. Why should the person you injure have to pay for your mistake?
    So basically, everyone should just have insurance. Simple as. In this case, your typical pedestrian policy would cover your cycling or it would be an add on.

Are you saying that pedestrians should have insurance?

So the government should force everyone to have personal liability insurance, even kids?

It was quoted at the AGM as covering commuting this year. I am talking about a non existent one being set up for all scenarios, and that said insurer needs to cover costs and would only do it to make a profit. The Ci Insurance has been loss making for a few years now and is rising to accommodate this.
    I will shoot them an email to get written confirmation it does as I not a member of any club and if it does I will get a membership and tell them they should update the site to make it clear, I just wanted some security for if the worst happens and am not sure why the hostility to insurance from some people though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

So the government should force everyone to have personal liability insurance, even kids?

No they shouldn't force them. But if you or your kids injure someone you should have to pay for it and if you don't have insurance all other means should be taken to enforce the debt. Do you think if you injure someone they should have to pay it? Say you break someone's neck though your negligence? Should they suffer the financial burden while you pay nothing?

Advertisement