Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JCT training day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Or they still meet the points as the points are created by demand. So if results fall, points will do the same ?

Results won't fall (on the whole!) The students set the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Results won't fall (on the whole!) The students set the curve.

Exactly. Quality of candidates inevitably will though.

Already there are primary school teachers who didn't study higher level maths or English. This in itself is terrifying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I'm convinced someone in the dep't has a major shareholding in 3M, with the amount of post its used at these days. I am also of the opinion that the brainwashing used on the cluster day facilitators would put kim jung un to shame. They truly firmly believe every word they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I'm convinced someone in the dep't has a major shareholding in 3M, with the amount of post its used at these days. I am also of the opinion that the brainwashing used on the cluster day facilitators would put kim jung un to shame. They truly firmly believe every word they say.

This by a million. I'm equally amazed and horrified at how brainwashed they are. Constantly trotting out the party line. Would make fantastic communists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This by a million. I'm equally amazed and horrified at how brainwashed they are. Constantly trotting out the party line. Would make fantastic communists.

They are getting paid to deliver it. They must stick to the party line.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Nuremburg defense lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

... and the book companies, who will only love to replace your old books with new.

Nuremburg defense lol

Is this the first time a thread in T&L has been Godwinned? :pac:

Mardy Bum wrote: »

I'd be mortified for any teacher that signed up to this and agreed to deliver the party line.

I'd be of the opinion that either a) they can't handle the classroom so are looking for a way out through secondment etc or b) looking for a job in the NCCA/Dept/Inspectorate and want this for the CV, regardless of how crap it is.

Once the woman who was one of the duo who delivered our Wellbeing clusterfuck let slip that she was using the new methodologies as research for her PhD, it was goodnight Vienna when we realised she was looking for a fast track to one of the aforementioned jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

From what I'm seeing, there is more of an emphasis on groupwork which may be great but it takes a lot of planning in terms of resources and resources that could be abused by students so you have to do it again. I wonder who'll be funding all of these materials e,g, boardmarkers, whiteboards, A3 paper for placemats, the lovely post-its, laminating etc? I provided my own boardmarkers for a class I did group work with but I'm not going to do this for all of my classes. It may be petty but I've heard from primary teachers who are expected to fund these resources themselves.

Yes education in Ireland is on the downward slope - dreading next PISA results. All of these new initiatives are having a serious impact on extra curricular as well - I for one won't be doing anymore than what I'm paid for and a lot of people I feel will take the same opinion. I think I've said it before that there is a big push for wellbeing (which I'm in favour of) but the people in the offices don't think about the wellbeing of teachers.

Omg this bugs the crap out out of me Too!
    I have subbed in a wide variety of schools so feel qualified to say the VAST difference in the allocation of resources in a school is astounding. I've been in situations where it's a "you need it just get and hand receipt into the office" to schools that prioritise laminating for example so it's in abundance. Went from that school to the next one and when I asked about laminating I was handed poly pocket sheet and told there you go. A recent school gave each teacher 5 whiteboard markers in Sept- buy your own after that. I don't know of any teacher who has easy access to poster paper / coloured sheets unless they buy them themselves
    In primary to the best of my knowledge it's pretty much accepted you need these and they are supplied for you.
    As a sub I have often worked weeks on emergency tax / waited to be paid working a month in hand and waiting till the end of the 2nd month to get paid. You are scrapping by in those circumstances and simply don't have the money to fund it yourself. Besides I don't believe we ought to. Basic teaching resources/equipment should be readily available imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Omg this bugs the crap out out of me Too!
    I have subbed in a wide variety of schools so feel qualified to say the VAST difference in the allocation of resources in a school is astounding. I've been in situations where it's a "you need it just get and hand receipt into the office" to schools that prioritise laminating for example so it's in abundance. Went from that school to the next one and when I asked about laminating I was handed poly pocket sheet and told there you go. A recent school gave each teacher 5 whiteboard markers in Sept- buy your own after that. I don't know of any teacher who has easy access to poster paper / coloured sheets unless they buy them themselves
    In primary to the best of my knowledge it's pretty much accepted you need these and they are supplied for you.
    As a sub I have often worked weeks on emergency tax / waited to be paid working a month in hand and waiting till the end of the 2nd month to get paid. You are scrapping by in those circumstances and simply don't have the money to fund it yourself. Besides I don't believe we ought to. Basic teaching resources/equipment should be readily available imo

Let's not even dream of funding it ourselves!! That's like the Ryanair pilots who had to buy their own water. But wow did they tell their boss exactly where to go!

I'll scream if I see teachers in Easons buying all this stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Had our Gaeilge cluster meeting today. The main thing that shocked us all was the agression! She was constantly on the defensive. If anyone asked a simple question we got a bark back. Long story short is they don't know the details and don't want us to ask. The plan of action seems to be keep talking non-stop til lunch and end of the day so we just want to leave and won't hang around and ask anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

There was a post on 'Voice for Teachers' facebook page yesterday about the new JCT. 70 posts and probably 1 or 2 positive. I'd love for the department to see the comments here and get an understanding of the feelings from teachers who are implementing this. It is a shambles.
    Excellent point made that we are always pushed to differentiate in our teaching.....yet the exams for mot subject will now be common level (you will hardly find a teacher in the land who would think that's a good thing......but yet its still being pushed though)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

There was a post on 'Voice for Teachers' facebook page yesterday about the new JCT. 70 posts and probably 1 or 2 positive. I'd love for the department to see the comments here and get an understanding of the feelings from teachers who are implementing this. It is a shambles.
    Excellent point made that we are always pushed to differentiate in our teaching.....yet the exams for mot subject will now be common level (you will hardly find a teacher in the land who would think that's a good thing......but yet its still being pushed though)

Some of the comments on there calling those working for JCT as "idiots" are uncalled for in my opinion.

70 odd comments from a facebook page is not great feedback. Need to get voices heard through consultations and unions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I wanted to see if there was a feedback form for the JCT Cluster Day, and there isn't one.

Asking for it to go through unions isn't good enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

I wanted to see if there was a feedback form for the JCT Cluster Day, and there isn't one.

You can’t give feedback ?????
    That’s tells us all we need to know

km79 wrote: »
    You can’t give feedback ?????
    That’s tells us all we need to know

We were given the opportunity to give feedback on our full staff day and on our cluster day. We have lots of opportunities to give feedback and our unions are one way

We were given the opportunity to give feedback on our full staff day and on our cluster day. We have lots of opportunities to give feedback and our unions are one way

Slogibrewer just stated there was no feedback form for the cluster day ?
    Why would I want to go down a convoluted union route ?
    I want to give feedback direct so that the process can be improved immediately if necessary.
    It may be positive feedback ????

Slogibrewer just stated there was no feedback form for the cluster day ?
    Why would I want to go down a convoluted union route ?
    I want to give feedback direct so that the process can be improved immediately if necessary.
    It may be positive feedback ????

If you want to give feedback direct than its the NCCA and the SEC you need to talk to. JCT are just a support service and have no say over changing things. They just provide professional development.
    I got to give feedback on both my days and I filled in the consultation form that was open on the NCCA website and I emailed the SEC and I emailed my union as they asked for feedback and I emailed my subject association. All of which are also open to you

If you want to give feedback direct than its the NCCA and the SEC you need to talk to. JCT are just a support service and have no say over changing things. They just provide professional development.

They provide the people who provide the professional development ?
    I may want to commend or offer some constructive criticism in the correct manner ?
    There are reports of teachers behaving terribly towards them which is not on. But there should be a feedback form to donit the right way.
    But you have already stated there is one on the day so that’s fine
    Sligobrewwr could not get one though . Or wasnt provided with one ......

• Advertisement

They provide the people who provide the professional development ?
    I may want to commend or offer some constructive criticism in the correct manner ?
    There are reports of teachers behaving terribly towards them which is not on. But there should be a feedback form to donit the right way.
    But you have already stated there is one on the day so that’s fine
    Sligobrewwr could not get one though . Or wasnt provided with one ......

Ours was digital on both days so I would say if he emails JCT then they will take his feedback. Looking on the Voice for Teachers page one person calls these people working for JCT "idiots" and then comments on another thread about unprofessional behaviour!!!!
    My experience was quite positive with them I just admit. Was listened to when I had queries and the girl kept her cool very well with one individual who tried to hog the day. Although a lot of his concerns were being answered.
    They are just trying to do a job as well and I repeat it's the NCCA and SEC who design the course and exam, JCT just deliver supports for teachers based on what these bodies come up with.

Ours was digital on both days so I would say if he emails JCT then they will take his feedback. Looking on the Voice for Teachers page one person calls these people working for JCT "idiots" and then comments on another thread about unprofessional behaviour!!!!
    My experience was quite positive with them I just admit. Was listened to when I had queries and the girl kept her cool very well with one individual who tried to hog the day. Although a lot of his concerns were being answered.
    They are just trying to do a job as well and I repeat it's the NCCA and SEC who design the course and exam, JCT just deliver supports for teachers based on what these bodies come up with.
    Fair enough
    And that behavior is unacceptable!
    Some people just like the sound of their own voice

Some of the comments on there calling those working for JCT as "idiots" are uncalled for in my opinion.

70 odd comments from a facebook page is not great feedback. Need to get voices heard through consultations and unions

Yes I don't think calling what essentially are our colleagues 'idiots' is acceptable. Just because people don't share the same views doesn't make them idiots. I'm aware this is a very stressful year and some people are receiving training from excellent presenters while others are not but it shouldn't be aired on a public page with your name alongside - good role models for the students we teach.

We had an opportunity to give feedback at cluster day. We also had the opportunity for discussion at different points in presentation. I was surprised at how informative the day was.

I said it previously, the ASTI were fighting it but that group who wanted an increment over the decimation of our education system won and JCT is here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

As for common level papers, I know in maths there is higher and ordinary, is there in any others? The only concern at ours was about CBAs and how they feel other schools and teachers will be unprofessional in their marking.

As for common level papers, I know in maths there is higher and ordinary, is there in any others? The only concern at ours was about CBAs and how they feel other schools and teachers will be unprofessional in their marking.

Maths, English and Irish have levels - all the rest are common level.

The SLAR meeting is to make sure that the marking is done fairly. What fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Completely forgot about the feedback form on the day. Sorry!

I'd still think JCT should have an open form for feedback like they had for the Whole School Day but how and ever, such is life.

Maths, English and Irish have levels - all the rest are common level.

The SLAR meeting is to make sure that the marking is done fairly. What fun :)
    I Don't remember the dept saying that those subjects would always have levels, except during the initial rollout. I know the maths and Irish depts in my school are up in arms over losing 33 class periods each due to wellbeing

I Don't remember the dept saying that those subjects would always have levels, except during the initial rollout. I know the maths and Irish depts in my school are up in arms over losing 33 class periods each due to wellbeing

Oh I thought that had been decided. God help us so - a common level paper in Junior Cert to higher level Leaving Cert. This new junior cycle is doing nothing for the teacher wellbeing!!!!

Oh I thought that had been decided. God help us so - a common level paper in Junior Cert to higher level Leaving Cert. This new junior cycle is doing nothing for the teacher wellbeing!!!!

Incorrect information again. Framework document states that English Irish and Maths will have higher and ordinary. All other subjects at common level. Why don't we as teachers read documents that are so important?

• Advertisement

Incorrect information again. Framework document states that English Irish and Maths will have higher and ordinary. All other subjects at common level. Why don't we as teachers read documents that are so important?

Read my post above - I said there are levels for maths, English and Irish but I was corrected but I was correct seeing as you read the documents :) You're fight is not with me!!!

Advertisement