Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic remarks at work today

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Dont patronise me to tell me what I think.

Sorry for inferring something. From what you posted.

That's how discussions work. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sorry for inferring something. From what you posted.

That's how discussions work. Take care.

Not really. Telling other people what they think isnt how discussions work - saying I might or probably think x is much more correct.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not really. Telling other people what they think isnt how discussions work - saying I might or probably think x is much more correct.

Well then you must have (probably) missed the part where I said must in my original post.
    If you think that, you must think asking any person about their relationship status and desire for one is bullying. I don't.

The use of use of must in this way is comparable to the use of probably. But you must not think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

randomly turns around to me and asks if I have a boyfriend. When I said no I didn't, he then asked do I want one? and I said no to which he replies that he will keep his ear out for me.

Next time, Ye your ma but she’s a bit too manly for me , laugh, walk away! Problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bicloset

Haven't seen the loudmouth since the event as he is thankfully in a different site so we never really cross paths. The other 2 people who were onlookers have spoke and treated me no differently as they are down to earth anyways. It has knocked my confidence a little bit and made me suspicious of all people. I'll update the next time I come in contact with the loudmouth and be interesting to see what he has to say or remark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

bicloset wrote: »
    Haven't seen the loudmouth since the event as he is thankfully in a different site so we never really cross paths. The other 2 people who were onlookers have spoke and treated me no differently as they are down to earth anyways. It has knocked my confidence a little bit and made me suspicious of all people. I'll update the next time I come in contact with the loudmouth and be interesting to see what he has to say or remark.

If he makes any further remarks about your sexuality or relationship status, then I’d consider that clear cut harassment/bullying. If it happens, report him to management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

bicloset wrote: »

Glad to hear it. I hope that everything remains positive. I would encourage you to explore the impact being in the closet is having on your mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

“You wouldn’t worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do" is a quote that I try and remind myself anytime my sexuality is brought up in these kinds of contexts.

OP what I would say is you may be over-thinking the knock on affect of this because ultimately if people wonder who you share a bed with, they are incredibly sad. And trying to put focus on such things speaks volumes about them, not you.

Try and draw strength from how trivial a thing it is - "Why do you even caaaaare?" sort of thing - that's not me belittling your experience, as I've been there tenfold. If it grows into a consistent thing I'd involve higher powers and/or note down and date comments being said.

Advertisement