Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long ago has Southside vs Northside been a thing?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Chrongen wrote: »
    Similar to those people outside dublin who refer to all Dublin people as "jackeens"
    Absolutely, comes from the same era as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Vita nova wrote: »
    Absolutely, comes from the same era as well.

Whatever era you referring to?

The Jackeen nomiker I believe comes from the time of the segregation of Dublin under English rule from the rest of the country - when those inside the pale were 'English' aka 'Jack' and as such was used with the diminutive term from the Irish 'een' to refer to those living there as 'Jackeens' or little English people ....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

frag420 wrote: »
    Ever since they bridged the Liffey...
    Nah, it was long before that

Baile Átha Cliath was an Irish settlement north of a river ford.

Dubh Linn was the southside town named for the black pool that was drained for Queen Vic's visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

gozunda wrote: »
    Whatever era you referring to?

The Jackeen nomiker I believe comes from the time of the segregation of Dublin under English rule from the rest of the country - when those inside the pale were 'English' aka 'Jack' and as such was used with the diminutive term from the Irish 'een' to refer to those living there as 'Jackeens' or little English people ....

You're right. I was referring mainly to the 1970s when both words were used frequently as counterparts.

Advertisement