Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long ago has Southside vs Northside been a thing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

grahambo wrote: »
    Neptune House?

The Weir is on the North Side so the "Island" belongs to us! (IE De Nort Side)

Nah Chapelizzer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

frag420 wrote: »
    Ever since they bridged the Liffey...

North side is best side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Nah Chapelizzer

Bridge on the Northside was built first, you still belong to us...

Lucky for you, we're way better than those South Side Tools! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Are parts of Chapelizod on an island? I was not aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I spent 8 years on the Northside before my ambiguous current location, so I don't need convincing ;)

There's a weir all around the apartment blocks on the bridge. Does that count? I'm counting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

The problem isn't really with northsiders and southsiders. Dublin 1 to 24 is fine by me.

However there's something deeply worrying about people from County Dublin, North and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

River Island clothes shop first started there.....
    That's where is got the name right?

#FakeNews

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The problem isn't really with northsiders and southsiders. Dublin 1 to 24 is fine by me.

However there's something deeply worrying about people from County Dublin, North and South.

Dulchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I spent 8 years on the Northside before my ambiguous current location, so I don't need convincing ;)

There's a weir all around the apartment blocks on the bridge. Does that count? I'm counting it.

Ohhhhh an enclave , no less.
    As a Southside townie who marri..... " what did you fcukin' say ? "

I'll be back in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Omackeral wrote: »
    There's no real such thing as a 'Northside' and 'Southside' accent. A chap from Finglas sounds the same as a chap from Drimnagh.

Well whatever about the location its odd/funny that two such different accents exist within many parts of the city

• Advertisement

Dublin 1 to 24 is all inner city to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I remember being youngin the early 2000's and a group of Northside lads and a group of Southside lads would have battles on one of the bridges at the liffey. Throwing rocks and such, slagging, fighting...purely because they were on opposite sides of the river. But not one of them ever crossed the middle part of the bridge. Some lads got seriously injured and they deserved it. Retards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I remember being youngin the early 2000's and a group of Northside lads and a group of Southside lads would have battles on one of the bridges at the liffey. Throwing rocks and such, slagging, fighting...purely because they were on opposite sides of the river. But not one of them ever crossed the middle part of the bridge. Some lads got seriously injured and they deserved it. Retards.

That is so celtic tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Granite walls southside, Block walls Northside!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Started when we the south side got an actual flushing toilet in every house while the north side shared outhouses between 100 plus people ,
    The crap has been flowing ever since ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Trains pulled the desirable areas to live towards the south-east. Old one family dwelling places on northside became tenements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

North side vs South side of where? Oh yeah I forgot everything is about Dublin and it doesn't even need to be mentioned! Well from my time living in Dublin there are definitely good and bad parts to all areas on either side of the river, sometimes right next to each other. I lived in Kimmage for a while but on the border of Crumlin for example.

You know there is a North side - South side divide in Cork too, not sure how it originated but us southsiders call them norries and rumour has it they put whatever food they have into their sandwiches, chips, whatever is nearby :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭worded

Protection to a north sider is a bus shelter

How do you know when a north sider girls orgasms? She drops her chips ... probably at that bus stop

During the 80s what did the south sider say to his boss on loosing his job?
    Ah dad ... give me back my job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's always been a confection generally as there are plenty of nice areas on the northside and rough ones on the south.

It probably comes about from the relative neglect of the north city centre vs the south city centre but even that has changed in recent times.

The best one is when you see somebody, usually culchies, referring to somebody having a 'Northside accent'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

It's always been a confection generally as there are plenty of nice areas on the northside and rough ones on the south.

It probably comes about from the relative neglect of the north city centre vs the south city centre but even that as changed in recent times.

The best one is when you see somebody, usually a culchie, referring to somebody having a 'Northside accent'.

I’m a son of the soil, and it’s not that difficult to differentiate between some gouger from Darndale, and some complete head-the-ball from Tallaght.
    What they do tend to share is this misguided belief that they are a fountain of this mythical creation known as ‘Dublin wit’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

What separates humans from animals?
    The Liffey

What they do tend to share is this misguided belief that they are a fountain of this mythical creation known as ‘Dublin wit’.

I blame Ronnie Drew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

benjamin d wrote: »
    I was reading about this before and it's pretty fascinating. The northside around Parnell and Mountjoy squares were the fancy spots until Leinster house was built in the early 19th century, then all the rich folk followed over Southside and the Georgian northside buildings were converted to tenements, hence becoming the "rough" side. I may have the finer points of that wrong but that's roughly it.

You're not far off. And Capel Street used to be one of the most sought after addresses in the city. Very wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

It probably comes about from the relative neglect of the north city centre vs the south city centre but even that has changed in recent times.

The best one is when you see somebody, usually culchies, referring to somebody having a 'Northside accent'.
    Whatever about northsiders or southsiders or whatever-siders-you're-having-yourself, those Dubliners that refer to people outside Dublin as "culchies", come across as totally narrow-minded, ignorant individuals.

It used to be breakdance battles on bits of lino in the 80s. Polyester, headbands and battery cassette players as far as the eye could see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Vita nova wrote: »
    Whatever about northsiders or southsiders or whatever-siders-you're-having-yourself, those Dubliners that refer to people outside Dublin as "culchies", come across as totally narrow-minded, ignorant individuals.

Culchie is fine. It’s better than toothless hick, mucksavage, bogtrotter, silage arse, or Paddy Hayseed.

Don’t be so thin skinned.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭muppetshow1451

The american civil war ended in 1865

LadyMacbeth reported for extreme daughter of the soil bias :pac:

vXgecIu.jpg

qcwBlGA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Vita nova wrote: »

Similar to those people outside dublin who refer to all Dublin people as "jackeens"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

LadyMacbeth reported for extreme daughter of the soil bias :pac:

vXgecIu.jpg

qcwBlGA.jpg

Corkonian bias :p

Advertisement