Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever had a delivery person use your mobile number inappropriately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

You're right. Great looking girls do.

Someone likes 'em chunky.

Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I was disturbed by the spelling and grammar errors in his texts more than anything . . . I'm going to guess in this case it was a foreign lad as well . . .
    You have an instinct for the irrelevant, it seems. The same texts, but with better wording and spelling and from an Irish delivery guy, would be just fine?

duffman13 wrote: »
    Just eat doesn't employ staff to deliver, they are a third party service which literally takes the order and sends it to the shop. He's an employee of the takeaway. That said the restaurant shouldn't be suspended but should be notified by the conduct of their driver.
    Just to put this in context, every time you order food for delivery to your house, there's a delivery guy who has your name, your address and, almost invariably nowadays, your mobile number. This is true whether you order though an intermediary like Just Eat or directly with the takeaway. If the thought freaks you out, give your landline, not your mobile, as the contact number; at least you can't be sent weird texts on your landline. But the delivery guy will still have your name and address; there really is no way to avoid this, short of not having stuff delivered to your house.

The immediate wrong here was committed by the delivery guy, who abused personal data that had been entrusted to him purely for work purposes, and who did it in a way likely to upset the person whose data it was. If I were the restaurant, I would fire him.

Just Eat cannot fire him, for the reason already pointed out; they don't employ him. But they should certainly make it clear to contracting restaurants that the personal data which Just Eat passes on to them is only to be used by the restaurant and its staff for the purposes for which it is given, that if there are problems around this the restaurant needs to take vigorous action to correct them, and that if this doesn't happen then the restaurant's continuing contract with Just Eat will be called into question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

If this guy was a handsome model doing deliveries in his spare time, this would be considered a cute story of how he pursued and finally wooed her.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    If this guy was a handsome model doing deliveries in his spare time, this would be considered a cute story of how he pursued and finally wooed her.
    In a third rate rom-com, possibly.

Here in the real world, stalking is stalking and abuse of personal data is abuse of personal data, no matter how well-formed the features of the person doing the stalking and the data abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Had a taxi man call me the next day after a lift home and ask me out. I was freaked and played dumb and said he had the wrong number. Then he turned up to my place of work. That was the last time I made polite conversation and also the last time I got dropped right to my door.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I usually only order takeaway when hungover and answer the door looking like the landlady from Kingpin, unsurprisingly none of the delivery drivers have felt compelled to contact me afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

JustEat should develop an instant messaging system that both the drivers and customers use exclusively for comms., baked into the app. Mobile phone data breaches would be a thing of the past for most customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I deliver you takeaway, now you deliver baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Might be half 9 in the morning im reading this thread but jasus id love a curry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its a bit creepy to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Just to put this in context, every time you order food for delivery to your house, there's a delivery guy who has your name, your address and, almost invariably nowadays, your mobile number. This is true whether you order though an intermediary like Just Eat or directly with the takeaway. If the thought freaks you out, give your landline, not your mobile, as the contact number; at least you can't be sent weird texts on your landline. But the delivery guy will still have your name and address; there really is no way to avoid this, short of not having stuff delivered to your house.

The immediate wrong here was committed by the delivery guy, who abused personal data that had been entrusted to him purely for work purposes, and who did it in a way likely to upset the person whose data it was. If I were the restaurant, I would fire him.

Just Eat cannot fire him, for the reason already pointed out; they don't employ him. But they should certainly make it clear to contracting restaurants that the personal data which Just Eat passes on to them is only to be used by the restaurant and its staff for the purposes for which it is given, that if there are problems around this the restaurant needs to take vigorous action to correct them, and that if this doesn't happen then the restaurant's continuing contract with Just Eat will be called into question.

As someone suggested a good idea of an IM system, but I think one in which you can view your account, messages and transactions.
    A mobile no. is going to be convenient if not essential, but the most that is required is a first name only, there's no need for further details to be passed to the delivery driver such as surname or even to the restaurant.
    As a bloke Im not expecting this creepiness, but I still prefer to limit details to the bare essentials anyway, that said, I think a record in someone's personal mobile phone is more accessible than an app where you have no control over deletions and same for a landline, there would be less likely to be a record as easily accessed for future.

Just eat should be making it clear (as should any business/restaurant not even dealing with just eat) to this kind of staff or anyone employed or engaged by them in the business, about personal details passed to them are for the purposes of the business and the outcome of breaching this should be dismissal or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What a weird freak that driver is

And justeat.co.uk didn't handle things well at all

DTmI29eX0AAZhuR.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I deliver you takeaway, now you deliver baby.

Hey bby, u want sum fuk?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You'd think I'd get more of this because I answer the door in my skimpies.
    Must be due to me being a 6'3 male ... the sexists!!

Has happened once in the past, I was at a friends house and food was on the way. The delivery lad couldn't find the gaff at all, eventually only getting through on text asking for a call back or to pick up the phone (my buddy hadn't heard the dialling). All was fine, got the food, 5 mins later another text comes through which was obviously meant to be sent to the lad's weed dealer judging by the gist of things.

That was awkward enough, but we laughed it off with him. Poor lad was mortified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

Are the lads that show up in all the Just Eat branded jackets not employed by Just Eat? I had assumed they now were employing people to rival deliveroo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It's the way the driver went about it. Creepy as fook. BUT did this really need to hit social media? Just complain to the takeaway privately. I'm don't think Just Eat deserves the criticism here. Surely it's the takeaway's job to handle complaints about staff?

s15r330 wrote: »
    Hey bby, u want sum fuk?

Don't make me take u ass to Twitter.

OSI wrote: »
    Christ, she's even written her own press release.... Doesn't seem fishy at all.

https://twitter.com/ShelbyTree/status/953257055086956544

I like how she gave us her age in the opening line. It's all very informative.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Christ, she's even written her own press release.... Doesn't seem fishy at all.

I'm getting strong attention-seeker vibes off this one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

duffman13 wrote: »
    Just eat doesn't employ staff to deliver, they are a third party service which literally takes the order and sends it to the shop. He's an employee of the takeaway. That said the restaurant shouldn't be suspended but should be notified by the conduct of their driver.

Didnt know that, thought it was the same setup as Deliveroo. I still wouldn't suspend the restaraunt and cause them to lose business over something a staff member was doing of his own accord. They should be made aware and let them deal with it if just eat have no influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

The best response to this whole thing is:

https://twitter.com/Demfeelsbro_/status/953330214389633025

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It wouldn’t be half as bad if the driver wasn’t a creep. If he said something like “Hey, I’m your delivery driver from earlier, would you fancy going for a drink?” It wouldn’t be half as bad as what was said but still inappropriate.

I think just eat should remove the restaurant until the driver is sacked. They also need to add a few 0s to the voucher, maybe a £10,000 voucher would be more appropriate, the actual cost to them for making the food would probably only be half of that or less and good PR.

I actually did something similar by accident about a year ago. I sent “your iPhone is ready to be collected” followed by “I’m running late can I pick you up at half 8“ but saved it with “Sorry, wrong person” straight after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Simple way to avoid it is not get food delivered. Only degenerates get food delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Tefral wrote: »
    The best response to this whole thing is:

https://twitter.com/Demfeelsbro_/status/953330214389633025

Except that having a further read of his tweets show that he's actually just a bitter knob who ironically thinks that other people are all just bitter knobs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Except that having a further read of his tweets show that he's actually just a bitter knob who ironically thinks that other people are all just bitter knobs!!

Comes across as a bit of a trolly parody Twitter account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm hungry now FFS

For Looove...

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    It wouldn’t be half as bad if the driver wasn’t a creep. If he said something like “Hey, I’m your delivery driver from earlier, would you fancy going for a drink?” It wouldn’t be half as bad as what was said but still inappropriate.

I think just eat should remove the restaurant until the driver is sacked. They also need to add a few 0s to the voucher, maybe a £10,000 voucher would be more appropriate, the actual cost to them for making the food would probably only be half of that or less and good PR.

I actually did something similar by accident about a year ago. I sent “your iPhone is ready to be collected” followed by “I’m running late can I pick you up at half 8“ but saved it with “Sorry, wrong person” straight after.

A £10,000 voucher for a creepy message? I suppose she could comfort eat away the pain until she gets a heart attack.

Advertisement