Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever had a delivery person use your mobile number inappropriately?

Options
  • 16-01-2018 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by a twitter story here but the specifics of her case aren't really the point (she blames the wrong firm IMO).
    1. You order takeway, get a package delivered etc
    2. Receive your goods
    3. Driver then whatsapps/texts you to say hi/come onto you etc etc

From the responses to the original tweet this seems to be common, especially among women. As a lad I've never had this happen but is this common?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

ED E wrote: »
    Inspired by a twitter story here but the specifics of her case aren't really the point (she blames the wrong firm IMO).
    1. You order takeway, get a package delivered etc
    2. Receive your goods
    3. Driver then whatsapps/texts you to say hi/come onto you etc etc

From the responses to the original tweet this seems to be common, especially among women. As a lad I've never had this happen but is this common?

Cant say its happened to me, but I knew a barman who would try and write his phone number on the head of a pint of guinness as he was pullng it, if a good looking girl ordered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Cant say its happened to me, but I knew a barman who would try and write his phone number on the head of a pint of guinness as he was pullng it, if a good looking girl ordered it.

I call bull****.

Good looking girls don't order pints of Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I call bull****.

You're right. Great looking girls do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Must have been in the days of the manual exchange.

I call bull****.

This is in Toulouse.. possibly a rugby fan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

I call bull****.

I call sexism

• Registered Users Posts: 33,128 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This is in Toulouse.. possibly a rugby fan!

Or a French bloke in drag.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭RichT

I call bull****.

Cristina Scabbia scrubs up well ........

ccd06ed50855322fbf8421f83f354bb7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭893bet

Hi.....I am delivering the battered sausage you ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If the just eat drive hit it off with her and they ended up together you'd read a story online about how he decided to be cheeky and texted her and she fell for the delivery drive and his naughty texts and him giving her extra food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

GDPR. A lot of businessess are in the firing line of this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

People are getting too soft these days.

Wasn't just eats fault. They don't know if a driver is gonna start messaging someone or not. Heck a driver could bleeding start stalking someone. They couldn't know.

As for her side.. just tell him to fu*k off and to stop texting her. No need to out it on twitter.

Let's be honest what he did was chancing his arm. Of course he shouldn't have as it's weird to start messaging someone. But hey no crime done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

People are getting too soft these days.

Wasn't just eats fault. They don't know if a driver is gonna start messaging someone or not. Heck a driver could bleeding start stalking someone. They couldn't know.

As for her side.. just tell him to fu*k off and to stop texting her. No need to out it on twitter.

Let's be honest what he did was chancing his arm. Of course he shouldn't have as it's weird to start messaging someone. But hey no crime done.

Not Just Eats fault, but they should suspend the restaurant.

Creepy thing to do. The whole “I’ll see you next time I deliver “ even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

It happened to me a few years ago. He lived next door to me in an apartment block with his missus and daughter.
    I ordered Mexican one night and He delivered it. He was really creepy and wouldn't leave me alone. Kept texting me late at night telling me he was going to call up with some beers.
    I moved back to my parents(nothing to do with him) and ordered Chinese one night, guess who delivered it. I couldn't believe it. So the texts started again, asking why I moved out and he missed me. I told him I'd call the guards if he text me again and He said he found my diary in the skip when I moved out of my apartment and He reads it and "enjoys" it. Absolute creepo.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

OP

This company made an unlawful use of your personal information.

You can request that your phone number is deleted.

I would suggest you report it to the company or to the data protection commissioner.

More info here:

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/A-guide-to-your-rights-Plain-English-Version/r/858.htm

PandaPoo wrote: »
    It happened to me a few years ago. He lived next door to me in an apartment block with his missus and daughter.
    I ordered Mexican one night and He delivered it. He was really creepy and wouldn't leave me alone. Kept texting me late at night telling me he was going to call up with some beers.
    I moved back to my parents(nothing to do with him) and ordered Chinese one night, guess who delivered it. I couldn't believe it. So the texts started again, asking why I moved out and he missed me. I told him I'd call the guards if he text me again and He said he found my diary in the skip when I moved out of my apartment and He reads it and "enjoys" it. Absolute creepo.

Next time your otdering a Chinese, get some guy you know to answer the door wearing a balaclava.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

boege wrote: »
    OP

This company made an unlawful use of your personal information.

You can request that your phone number is deleted.

I would suggest you report it to the company or to the data protection commissioner.

More info here:

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/A-guide-to-your-rights-Plain-English-Version/r/858.htm

Im the OP didnt happen to me.

The tweeter is in the UK so the Irish DPC isnt very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

On Heir Hunters BBC there was a story about a milkman who was having sex with woman he was delivering milk to. The heir hunters were trying to find his descendants.

They missed a great opportunity to quote a line from Father Ted. Delivering more than just dairy products.

I think Just Eat need to go to every house he has delivered and see are there any hairy babies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Not Just Eats fault, but they should suspend the restaurant.

Creepy thing to do. The whole “I’ll see you next time I deliver “ even more so.

Why suspend the restaurant - they did nothing wrong? Its a driver, Just Eat should suspend the guy they hired as their delivery driver. He is their staff member.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

ED E wrote: »
    Im the OP didnt happen to me.

The tweeter is in the UK so the Irish DPC isnt very useful.

Apologies, lazy reading on my part, however the UK data protection legislation will be similar (its an EU Directive).

It is still an improper (and most likely illegal) use of personal information. Its also creepy - what if he took offence at her rejection and took it further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Claim there.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

it happened to me once, got a takeaway one night
    and delivery guy kept ringing, texting and even knocking
    at the door it was soo intimidating and scary,
    guards were eventually involved !!! shur how was i to know had to pay the delivery driver !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Axwell wrote: »
    Why suspend the restaurant - they did nothing wrong? Its a driver, Just Eat should suspend the guy they hired as their delivery driver. He is their staff member.

Just eat doesn't employ staff to deliver, they are a third party service which literally takes the order and sends it to the shop. He's an employee of the takeaway. That said the restaurant shouldn't be suspended but should be notified by the conduct of their driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm hungry now FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Axwell wrote: »

No he's not. He works for the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Creepy. The restaurant should at least fire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Ever had a delivery person use your mobile number inappropriately?

Back to OP. Yes.....I had a courier call me to ask me would I drive a 50 mile round-trip to collect a parcel that he was too feckin lazy to deliver. Swift call to his headquarters and he was back on the phone promising to be at my door within an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I was disturbed by the spelling and grammar errors in his texts more than anything. Had a Pakistani delivery driver creep on my ex similarly before, with similarly badly written texts. I'm going to guess in this case it was a foreign lad as well, due to the spelling, and creepy pickup lines seem to be a specialty of theirs, like 'See you next time I get your meal.'

And it was the guys family who owned the takeaway, as is often the case, and I'd be willing to bet it is here too or else he wouldn't be so brazen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

893bet wrote: »
    Hi.....I am delivering the battered sausage you ordered?

Eat it while it's hot 😀

Advertisement