Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pointless films or plots

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There was also Runaway Train from the early eighties with Jon Voight and Eric Roberts.
    And under siege 2.

WTF hijacks a train to secretly launch terrorist attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I can't be the only one that likes nearly all of the films mentioned in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Blade runner 2049 was pure crack, I lost interest about half an hour in, I tried to give it time, but ended up switching off somewhere near the end because it had become so mind numbingly boring. One of the few films I've never watched till the end.

The first one wouldn't have been one of my fav films, but it was infinitely better than the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I thought the movie INCEPTION was awful.

I couldnt figure out what the f**k was going on.
    And we have a winner . Absolute ****e from start to finish. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Michael Cane was once asked if he'd watched Jaws-The Revenge and he replied - "No I haven't seen it, but I did see the mansion it bought me."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Schindlers List ??? Gangs of New York???

I quite enjoy pre Taken Liam Neeson

I enjoy Liam Neeson as an actor. He has shown himself to be versatile and played roles as diverse as the main baddie in Batman Begins, an IRA man in Miami Vice, the main murder suspect (who is innocent) in Dirty Harry The Dead Pool, Oscar Schindler and Michael Collins. Taken is good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

Akrasia wrote: »
    And under siege 2.

WTF hijacks a train to secretly launch terrorist attacks?

Not only that they ask for payments (from co-conspitators) in US dollars but their intent is to destroy the east coast of America and with it the US economy and with that the value of the dollar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Blade runner 2049 was pure crack, I lost interest about half an hour in, I tried to give it time, but ended up switching off somewhere near the end because it had become so mind numbingly boring. One of the few films I've never watched till the end.

The first one wouldn't have been one of my fav films, but it was infinitely better than the sequel.

I like the original Blade Runner and have not seen Blade Runner 2049. There are mixed views of it. Some love it, others say it is too long, others hate it. Will give it a go.

I feel for some films, one has to be a true fan of the category. You take 2 fans, one who likes Sci Fi and the other Westerns. To one, a bad sci fi is better than a good western and to the other a bad western is better than a good sci fi. They find common ground with Mad Max as it is sci fi with a western theme.

The type of films people watch depends on their taste and I guess any film can be pointless to a person. If one has an aversion to violence, there is no point recommending a film or TV show that is violent no matter how good it is. For me, I would consider to watch all types of film bar 50 Shades type drivel. Of course, there are classics in all and loads of poor copies. For example, the classics may include:

Westerns: Shane, Magnificent 7, Clint Eastwood's films, etc.
    Cop: Dirty Harry.
    Post Apocalypse: Mad Max.
    Action adventure: James Bond, Indiana Jones.
    Superhero: Burton and Nolan's Batman, the first 2 Superman films.
    Mafia: The Godfather, Goodfellas, Carlito's Way, Scarface.
    Martial Arts: Bruce Lee's films.
    Comedy: Monty Python films.
    Vietnam war: Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket.
    Sci Fi: Star Wars, Terminator, Blade Runner, Alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

I agree but their characters served no purpose to the film. there should have been no need for any of what they did if the first guy had simply walked back and turned off the train

How the fcuk do you "turn off" a train? Do you mean apply the brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

So I’ve got this idea for a movie.

Imagine that interstellar travel becomes possible and humans find a planet that is ripe for colonisation.

However, there is one problem, 2/3 of this planet is covered in acid. All life there depends on this acid. It even exists as vapour in the atmosphere. In fact it routinely falls from the sky.

Although this acid is extremely corrosive to humans we ignore it. Perhaps, although we have figured out interstellar travel, our scientists couldn’t detect its presence. Maybe we didn’t look out the portholes of our space craft and notice massive fcuking oceans of the stuff.

Anyway, to prepare for our invasion we send down teams of marines. Despite our obvious technological advancement we decide to send them unarmed. No death-rays, lasers, guns or even a pointy stick. This is despite the fact that the inhabitants of the planet are extremely warlike and generally heavily armed.

The marines are also sent naked, despite the corrosive acid being fcuking everywhere. No space-suits, not even a pair of wellies because of the puddles of liquid death that are everywhere.

What will these crack commandos be tasked with? Why running around on remote farmer’s rooftops and acting spooky obviously.

Despite being unarmed and naked, our brave boys are assured of victory. There will be no danger of any being taken prisoner, unless of course they ah, ahem, get trapped in a kitchen pantry.

My working title for this masterpiece?

Load a me bollix.

Or maybe Signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Chrongen wrote: »
    How the fcuk do you "turn off" a train? Do you mean apply the brakes?

the train is under power. turning off the forward drive would slow and stop the train. Appling brake would help too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

timmy880 wrote: »
    The entire plot to Ocean's 12 is completely pointless.

Was it 12 or 13 where they backed themselves into a corner to the extent they had to use the plot device of "Julia Robert's character looks like Julia Roberts" to get out of the situation?

I forgot how angry that made me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I like the original Blade Runner and have not seen Blade Runner 2049. There are mixed views of it. Some love it, others say it is too long, others hate it. Will give it a go.

I feel for some films, one has to be a true fan of the category. You take 2 fans, one who likes Sci Fi and the other Westerns. To one, a bad sci fi is better than a good western and to the other a bad western is better than a good sci fi. The find common ground with Mad Max as it is sci fi with a western theme.

The type of films people watch depends on their taste and I guess any film can be pointless to a person. If one has an aversion to violence, there is no point recommending a film or TV show that is violent no matter how good it is. For me, I would consider to watch all types of film bar 50 Shades type drivel. Of course, there are classics in all and loads of poor copies. For example, the classics may include:

Westerns: Shane, Magnificent 7, Clint Eastwood's films, etc.
    Cop: Dirty Harry.
    Post Apocalypse: Mad Max.
    Action adventure: James Bond, Indiana Jones.
    Superhero: Burton and Nolan's Batman, the first 2 Superman films.
    Mafia: The Godfather, Goodfellas, Carlito's Way, Scarface.
    Martial Arts: Bruce Lee's films.
    Comedy: Monty Python films.
    Vietnam war: Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket.
    Sci Fi: Star Wars, Terminator, Blade Runner, Alien.

Personally sci fi is one of my favourite genre of film.

I'll watch any genre of film tbh, I'll either enjoy it or I won't. Watching movies for me is about escapism, sometimes it's nice just to turn the brain off and forget about life for a couple of hours.

Certain films are not meant to be thought provoking, they are just meant to entertain.

Generally if it's been recognised by the oscars, I steer clear of the film, unless I know it's a film with content I'll enjoy.

Another good example of a really bad sequel is Grown ups 2, I stumbled across the first one on Netflix and found it hilarious, when I found out there was a sequel I was excited to see it. It was obvious from the start they had lost the formula that made the first one so funny.

Advertisement