Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pointless films or plots

Options
  • 15-01-2018 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭

I was watching unstoppable last night. I missed the start so didn't know how the train ended up running away.

early on an old guy puts his train in front and tries to slow it down by breaking.
    he gets derailed and killed.
    later on the 2 main guys have to risk their lives for nothing to stop it
    eventually a guy in a pick up drives along beside it and a guy jumps on board and turns off the train.

the 2 main guys section was a complete waste and pointless. the guy in the pick up could have stopped it several times before that. and the guy in the train that got derailed could have easily walked back onto the train and turned it off
    so stupid. half the film served no purpose

anyone got any other films that are pointless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

10 minutes films don’t really draw in the crowds.

You should get out more...do ya the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

10 minutes films don’t really draw in the crowds.

You should get out more...do ya the world of good.

there are lots of films out there where all 2 hours of the film actually add to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

The action scene at the end of skyfall, the part around the big house is fine normal James bond stuff but when M and this old boy head over to a little church making no attempt whatsoever to protect themselves, she just plonks herself down in the middle of the church and the guy starts casually walking around the place as if to pass the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Titanic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The action scene at the end of skyfall, the part around the big house is fine normal James bond stuff but when M and this old boy head over to a little church making no attempt whatsoever to protect themselves, she just plonks herself down in the middle of the church and the guy starts casually walking around the place as if to pass the time.

I love the movie but the part around the big house was more Home Alone than normal James Bond.

• Advertisement

Gus Van Sant's completely pointless shot for shot remake of Psycho. It was a complete carbon copy of the original except for the bizarre insertion of random cloud shots during the shower scene and bad acting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

As a fan of trains, Unstoppable could have been decent if not for the awful shaky cam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Bus that Couldn't Slow Down.

I kinda linked Unstoppable. Decent old school action movie. Not trying to be anything more than than and decent chemistry between Pine and Denzel.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

The Last Jedi or anything by Marvel. Crap irony-based humour, a social equality agenda that slaps you right in the face, unconvincing CGI, aimless plots, awkward dialogue, predictable outcomes, overly-frequent releases, rubbish CGI, an over reliance on explosions, illogical physics, cynical product placement, disproportionate hype, substandard acting and horrendous CGI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I kinda linked Unstoppable. Decent old school action movie. Not trying to be anything more than than and decent chemistry between Pine and Denzel.

I agree but their characters served no purpose to the film. there should have been no need for any of what they did if the first guy had simply walked back and turned off the train

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

KungPao wrote: »
    As a fan of trains, Unstoppable could have been decent if not for the awful shaky cam :(

There was also Runaway Train from the early eighties with Jon Voight and Eric Roberts.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Titanic!

Why, because we knew the ending?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Birdman, an absolute pile of steaming sh!te. Waited the whole film for something to happen, and then it was over. And this incoherent mess somehow cleaned up at the Oscars

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I just watched Snowman, from a job nesbo book. I know his books are popular but the film was a pointless waste of time. The main man Michael fassbender just seemed to be wandering around picking up clues here and there with no cohesive rhyme or reason to it all and things happening to other characters for the sake of it to fill time.

Pointless and plotless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Anything featuring capes, lycra and a fúck tonne of CGI.

I wish they'd just ban superhero movies at this stage. Hoovering up so much money which could be used to make original, interesting, mindless blockbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Over Christmas I got bored and decided to watch an old film I'd heard mentioned a good few times but had never seen.... Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

It is the definition of a pointless film. There are various subplots, each as pointless as the next. Then the film ends, thankfully after only about 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Robert Power

Judge Dredd 1995. Dredd is accused of killing a journalist in obvious violation of his duty to uphold the law. It is established that murder = illegal. So he spends the movie assaulting and killing countless FELLOW JUDGES who were literally just doing their jobs. Then at then hes a Judge again! Dude you spent the last hour murdering people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Birdman, an absolute pile of steaming sh!te. Waited the whole film for something to happen, and then it was over. And this incoherent mess somehow cleaned up at the Oscars

Had the same feeling from that.

Not surprised though. It was award bait, a film about acting and actors, and the struggling fallen hasbeen. They eat that shít up in hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Whiplash (the drummer trying to be a great drummer) was another very average movie that won a **** tonne of awards, Again it's connected to the struggles or people in entertainment business - how far they're willing to go for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Top Gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I was watching unstoppable last night. I missed the start so didn't know how the train ended up running away.

early on an old guy puts his train in front and tries to slow it down by breaking.
    he gets derailed and killed.
    later on the 2 main guys have to risk their lives for nothing to stop it
    eventually a guy in a pick up drives along beside it and a guy jumps on board and turns off the train.

the 2 main guys section was a complete waste and pointless. the guy in the pick up could have stopped it several times before that. and the guy in the train that got derailed could have easily walked back onto the train and turned it off

if you had seen it from the start you would know its based on a true story. the crazy 8's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSX_8888_incident

so while the parts did not fit with your view, they were there because the actual people were there. Don't quit your job to become a film critic lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It was a film makers **** fest. Lots of shouting in it too. You know...because conflict is the essence of drama....or some shyte.

Add in the awful distracting arrhythmic jazz drumming soundtrack for a terrible film going experience. I fking hated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

‘Cept for Ed Norton’s scenes which were so goddamm watchable as he always is. The big moody eejit. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Over Christmas I got bored and decided to watch an old film I'd heard mentioned a good few times but had never seen.... Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

It is the definition of a pointless film. There are various subplots, each as pointless as the next. Then the film ends, thankfully after only about 90 minutes.

I enjoyed it. I liked that it didn’t
    turn the abortion into some melodramatic dilemma, which would have been the obvious way to go. The way the film handled it was refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Runaway car.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

KungPao wrote: »

What really annoys me in that film is when its Denzel & Captain Kirk in the carriage, and the camera is constantly rotating around the carriage!

Once you’ve noticed it it becomes really annoying.

Also, the news reports in the film, they seemed to have every last detail about everyone involved in the runaway train almost immediately!! They even knew Denzel just got his P45!
    They even had a picture of the guy who’s fault it was...... that was taken the same day it happened!!

I’d say that’s the type of film where Denzel & Kirk would have filmed all their scenes over a 3/4 day period. Job done, cheque is in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Whiplash (the drummer trying to be a great drummer) was another very average movie that won a **** tonne of awards, Again it's connected to the struggles or people in entertainment business - how far they're willing to go for us.

You're the first person I've ever heard of that didn't really enjoy Whiplash.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

+1 for Birdman. I felt I did the right thing in turning it off well before the end. Clearly a thinly veiled attempt for Hollywood to jerk off all over itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pointless film.

Battlefield Earth. Biggest stinking pile of crap ever created. Worse than The Phantom Menace, worse than Catwoman, worse than The Last Airbender.

Advertisement