Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans are so touchy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Archeron

would you need teeth if you were eating flowers

I reckon you would have to suck them, like lollipops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If I am to be honest there are three types of people in this world who just love to tell you all about what they are... And they are: atheists, fitness types and vegans/vegetarians. Now am not saying everyone of them does. I don't have my big brush out ready to tarnish. But you often find its those people above.

But dont they realise no one cares? :pac:
    No one cares if you ran a 10k
    No one cares if you don't eat meat
    No one cares if you don't believe in God

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Secondly, lab-grown meat has me wondering, how many vegans/vegetarians would resume eating meat if that made it to market?

I have no data on it but Sam Harris did try to run a twitter poll of his fan base on the matter. I think if I recall the results correctly, the numbers of vegetarians who would start to eat lab meat was well over 50%.

But there was a certain "ick" factor at the thought of lab meat that meant many still wouldn't. But this was not unique to vegetarians. Even many meat eaters could not get over some weird feeling that it just would be "ick". None of them seemed capable of saying why though.

But I think it would be a generational thing. Many many people would switch to a decent lab grown product I think. And then after maybe even just a single generation, the "ick" factor would dissolve.

All just my subjective guess work of course! But I look forward to affordable products coming to market to test it in the real world.
    If I am to be honest there are three types of people in this world who just love to tell you all about what they are...

Or to make a more general version of your subjective observations......... people who are in the minority at any given time are more likely to identify themselves that people who feel they are the status quo or "norm".

That said though I have to say my observations are the exact opposite of yours. None of the three categories you mention seem to identify themselves all that much that I have noticed. Save for vegetarians but ONLY when I was going to be feeding them. Which is.... I trust you agree..... the one time you would want them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If I am to be honest there are three types of people in this world who just love to tell you all about what they are... And they are: atheists, fitness types and vegans/vegetarians.....

I deleted my social media accounts. That's four.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

No issues with veganism and I'm glad to see it grow, but I take issue with the cult-like qualities many of it's followers have. There was a post this month on an Irish Vegan group on Facebook about a person's grandfather who had advanced alzheimer's and she wanted to start him on a vegan diet. Vast majority of the replies were supportive of a vulnerable person without capacity having their diet changed so drastically without his consent, and many went on about how veganism has been shown to reverse Alzheimer's. One even recommended putting him on a water restriction diet like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I have to agree with the OP.
    vegans, vegetarians , and those fake food allergy people (genuine ones don't do it) ae the first to lecture you on what you eat. they will tell you what they are and why you are wrong to eat what you eat or scob at it and ruin your dinner.
    I suppose it is only the mouthy ones I hear so its not all of them.

same goes for cyclists. a few bad ones give the rest a bad name .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Zaph wrote: »
    what vegans and vegetarians eat doesn't even register with me.

Some of it is quite nice on a plate next to some meat.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

But dont they realise no one cares? :pac:
    No one cares if you ran a 10k
    No one cares if you don't eat meat
    No one cares if you don't believe in God

You have a point on the first two but it is pretty obvious that far too many people across the planet care far too much about the last one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

would you need teeth if you were eating flowers
    Yes.

Flowers aren't that nutritious so you'd have to go through a lot of them.
    Yes pollen and nectar are nutritious but there isn't much in a flower.

Us primates usually leave the flowers alone and wait for the fruit or berries from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm vegetarian/vegan 25 years. I never push my views on anyone but if I'm asked why I don't eat meat or dairy I will be honest. All too often the person who asks sees it as a judgement against them. Honestly I couldn't care what anyone eats and I can never understand why my diet incites such rage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If your vegan keep it to yourself

There are two problems here.

The first is you left a vital part of the sentence out. If my vegan does what? If he or she does something noteworthy why shouldn't I be able to tell someone about it?

The second problem is that vegans shouldn't be kept as slaves in the first place. It just seems wrong somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

eviltwin wrote: »
    if I'm asked why I don't eat meat or dairy I will be honest. All too often the person who asks sees it as a judgement against them.

You are not alone in that though, if that makes you feel better. For two random examples people who do not have or want children........ or people who do not drink alcohol.......... often report the same type of reaction from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I hear way more people bitching about vegans than vegans bitching about eating meat.

This.

Myself & the wife are vegan. We never bring it up. Went out for a meal in December with all of our mates & wives (30 odd). Nothing but ridicule & aggressive questioning.

Believe me when I say, it’s not the vegans that start the arguments.

I don’t give a flying **** what you or anyone else wants to eat. Most vegans would have the same opinion as me & if they don’t, it’s because they’re just plain arseholes, not because they’re vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Hey Op, if they posted on their own Facebook, that’s their territory. If they posted on your FB, they go for it.

Personally I’d go with one of their choices:

unfriend-unfollow-unlike-670x335.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

You are not alone in that though, if that makes you feel better. For two random examples people who do not have or want children........ or people who do not drink alcohol.......... often report the same type of reaction from people.

I tick all three boxes you can imagine the questions I get.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    This.

Myself & the wife are vegan. We never bring it up. Went out for a meal in December with all of our mates & wives (30 odd). Nothing but ridicule & aggressive questioning.

Believe me when I say, it’s not the vegans that start the arguments.

I don’t give a flying **** what you or anyone else wants to eat. Most vegans would have the same opinion as me & if they don’t, it’s because they’re just plain arseholes, not because they’re vegan.

I usually see that conversation going one of 2 ways.
    your in a restaurant. vegan asks for option , nobody says anything bad just a few questions , all very respectful

vegan asks for option , then tells everyone that they are a vegan and that she cant eat meat and that she thinks its evil to eat meat. of course the non vegans are going to stand up for their beliefs. vegan starts on about how is wrong to murder poor animals, and how the animals are abused .
    debate dies off until food is brought out and vegan is off again , scobbing at the meat and ruining it for everyone

this is the way I have seen it go down several times. happens fairly regularly. our group of friends even had to stop inviting a vegan and vegie because of the way they acted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Where did all the vegan bashing come out of all of a sudden ? It was on 2fm last week with the breakfast show and Nicky and jenny at least 4 out of the 5 mornings. I have no issues with vegans unless they go on about ethics and shìt they clearly have no clue what their talking about. I'm a meat eater myself and livestock farmer. I would gladly like to meet a PETA person though and set them straight.... with a hurley

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Where did all the vegan bashing come out of all of a sudden ? It was on 2fm last week with the breakfast show and Nicky and jenny at least 4 out of the 5 mornings. I have no issues with vegans unless they go on about ethics and sh they clearly have no clue what their talking about. I'm a meat eater myself and livestock farmer. I would gladly like to meet a PETA person though and set them straight.... with a hurley
    Think Veganuary has something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I hear way more people bitching about vegans than vegans bitching about eating meat.

Yup.

Anyone who goes on about their diet is annoying, whatever that diet is. Are there preachy vegans and vegetarians? Sure. But they are in a minority. I have one friend who I didn't know was vegetarian until 18 months after I met her.

I find that some people get immediately thick with vegans/veggies if they just happen to mention that they don't eat meat/animal products.

And the whole "Why should I cook them veggie food if they won't cook me something me with meat it in?". Well, if someone doesn't eat meat because they don't agree with eating animals, it's very understandable that they won't want to cook meat-containing meals at all. Whereas, practically everyone eats vegetables. It's very petulant to refuse to cook them something.

I have no issues with vegans unless they go on about ethics and shìt they clearly have no clue what their talking about.

If they are talking about chickens and pigs, they're likely right on the money. These animals are for the most part intensively-farmed and it ain't pretty. And I say that as a meat-eater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

_Dara_ wrote: »
    If they are talking about chickens and pigs, they're likely right on the money. These animals are for the most part intensively-farmed and it ain't pretty. And I say that as a meat-eater.
    Fair point, chickens in particular. If look enough, you can find better sources for pork.

vegetables are hardly a good example of what good practice is. look at the amount of forcing going on or the chemicals used to ripen them . roundup is used to ripen wheet and barley so that it all can ripen at the same time

vegetables are hardly a good example of what good practice is.

No food production method is perfect. But some people just can't eat another living thing. I am conflicted on it myself but I just don't like fruit and veg enough to eat them in a large abundance. Many vegans and veggies I know grow a lot of their own veg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Where did all the vegan bashing come out of all of a sudden ?

High profile pro vegan ad campaign last year that annoyed lots of people. Do you remember the baby pig pics on buses and hoardings?

No food production method is perfect. But some people just can't eat another living thing. I am conflicted on it myself but I just don't like fruit and veg enough to eat them in a large abundance. Many vegans and veggies I know grow a lot of their own veg.

yes , a lot of genuine vegies and vegans grow their own.
    these are usualy the ones that you don't hear barking at other people for their choices

it is the other type that you hear. the loud mothed ones that are only doing it for attention . these are the ones that expect the shops and restaurants to change everything to suite them

yes , a lot of genuine vegies and vegans grow their own.
    these are usualy the ones that you don't hear barking at other people for their choices

In my experience, very few do any barking outside of social media. And are matched for people mouthing off about preachy vegans/vegetarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Where did all the vegan bashing come out of all of a sudden ?

Vegan diets seems to be in fashion at the moment. Probably due to the Netflix documentaries about animal welfare/going vegan etc..

In my experience, very few do any barking outside of social media. And are matched for people mouthing off about preachy vegans/vegetarians.

your exeperiece is a lot dierent than mine.
    I see vegans acting like this regularly.

your exeperiece is a lot dierent than mine.
    I see vegans acting like this regularly.

You know, I don't believe you. More likely you've met a handful and extrapolated. Or hear preaching from the same few. You've probably met lots of people you never even knew were vegan or vegetarian because they never mentioned it.

• Advertisement

You know, I don't believe you. More likely you've met a handful and extrapolated. Or hear preaching from the same few. You've probably met lots of people you never even knew were vegan or vegetarian because they never mentioned it.

yes your right.
    as I have said several times already . it is only the mouthy ones you hear. there are loads of genuine vegans that you don't hear and don't notice.

my experience is with the handful I know. 1 very well (neighbour of mine) I think its fairly accurate to extrapolate if 100% of the mouth ones talk and act this way.

Advertisement