Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans are so touchy

Options
  • 13-01-2018 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

You don't eat meat, great that's your choice and none of my business and really I don't.care. But when I posted the below on bookface it was not received very well and instead of a mature debate all the Vegans just got angry and went on like a teenager been grounded.

My post :

"No 1 : If your vegan keep it to yourself and stop forcing your beleifs onto others, I don't force meat eating onto you

No 2 : Without meat you wouldn't even be on this planet, early man had a meat diet and without that diet they would not have survived and you would not be here to talk about it"

Vegan Person :

**** you : In a distant future all mankind will be vegan and ignorant people like you will be a smelly meat eating race that dwells in the sewers eating rats"

That is what was actually said to me on bookface after I highlighted that meat was one ( not all ) of the reason why early man developed into the species we are today!

Upon further research some Vegans have actually physically attacked people who do not agree with them and who ask them to accept mest eaters

We all know the world has a PC overdose but are we really being attaced both verbally and physically by Vegans because we eat meat??

Maybe the no meat diet is causing their anger??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Somebody properly, rat can be quite good. Bernaise sauce would be the way to go.

Sewer as a backdrop, not so sure... maybe it’ll work in some hipster like future.

Though, why are you posting this on bookface? You obviously wanted the reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like you started the intolerance, to be honest.

I know no vegans and have never knowingly discussed eating meat or otherwise, with any.

Vegans are just domestic cow haters. If everyone was vegan, domestic cows would be extinct. Dont hate on the cows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mena wrote: »
    Somebody properly, rat can be quite good.

Polly: Ratatouille. The chef calls the ratatouille 'Basil' because he puts quite a lot of basil in it.

Manuel: He put Basil in the ratatouille?

Polly: Yes!

Manuel: ARGGGHHHHHHHH!

[Manuel runs off to the kitchen screaming, Polly following]

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I have zero time for veganism (or vegetarianism), I like meat far too much, so what vegans and vegetarians eat doesn't even register with me. As long as they don't try to convert me it's entirely their business, so I certainly wouldn't start posting on social media abusing them just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vegans are just domestic cow haters. If everyone was vegan, domestic cows would be extinct. Dont hate on the cows.
    "Don't kid yourself Jimmy, if a cow ever got the chance he'd eat you and everyone you cared about!"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think the reaction was likely due to your opening line OP -

If your vegan keep it to yourself

It didn't occur to you that if you have a problem with vegans, you should keep it to yourself?

I'm not vegan either btw, but I don't go looking for an argument from vegans either, and they too know better than to comment on my diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think the reaction was likely due to your opening line OP -

If your vegan keep it to yourself

It didn't occur to you that if you have a problem with vegans, you should keep it to yourself?

I'm not vegan either btw, but I don't go looking for an argument from vegans either, and they too know better than to comment on my diet.
    This!

And why bookface, not facebook (which is what it's actually called) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It does sound like it was the OP who started the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This!

Trying to be edgy and indignant towards Facebook but reads and posts on it. Bizarre really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I eat tofu from south east Asia cause I like think eating meat is evil it goes way over my head that in order to transport my tofu to my super uber food boutique fossil fuels are used but I can choose to look the other way to these facts cause nature is awesome. Oblivious dick bags.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I hear way more people bitching about vegans than vegans bitching about eating meat.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

This!

Ok so it's not an actual site? I googled and was so confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

neonsofa wrote: »
    Ok so it's not an actual site? I googled and was so confused!
    Maybe it is! And I'm just soooooo out of touch.

But I think it's facebook he's referring to......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

As a dairy and beef farmer I can assure you vegans don't know jack Schitt about farming all they do is make up dramatised nonsense to push their agenda stupid b@stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ive-been-a-vegan-for-one-week-is-this-normal-26891210.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Maybe it is! And I'm just soooooo out of touch.

But I think it's facebook he's referring to......

I dunno! It's not easier to type or anything though nor is it particular insulting, Like when people use twatter, which I find equally weird tbh, but at least they're changing the name for an obvious reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

As a vegan who has never lectured anyone on their diet choices, I've found that people are very touchy towards my own tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I often see threads here in which vegans say they a ridiculed by meat eater at weddings/events and to be honest I have never really experienced this. I have a few relatives who a vegans and all they do is share images of animals and say how can you eat me and say you wouldn't eat the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I love meat. I love animals. I respect people who dont want to eat meat. If they dont respect my ways its like water off a ducks back to me. Oh i dont eat duck. Way too cute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I hear way more people bitching about vegans than vegans bitching about eating meat.

Yes, in which case we should get a forum for this specific purpose, just like the vegans got!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

instead of a mature debate all the Vegans just got angry and went on like a teenager been grounded.

Ok then let me see if I can offer you the mature debate you feel you missed elsewhere.....
    "No 1 : If your vegan keep it to yourself and stop forcing your beleifs onto others, I don't force meat eating onto you

Firstly telling people to keep their stuff to themselves, while you yourself are demonstrably not keeping yours to yourself, is a level of hypocrisy that will generally attract deep ire. You likely only have yourself to blame for this.

There is no reason they SHOULD keep it to themselves. We live in a discourse based democracy. And people who are doing something wrong will often only learn they are doing something wrong through discourse.

Now as it happens I am a meat eater. I have yet to be shown a single argument ever as to why I should not eat meat. All the arguments I ever get are to do with why we should not be producing our meat like we are now. But not a single argument EVER against actually eating meat.

But IF eating meat is wrong, and there IS arguments to that effect, then I want to hear them. They should not "keep it to themselves". They should tell me. They should tell ALL of us.

They just haven't got those arguments to offer yet is all.
    No 2 : Without meat you wouldn't even be on this planet, early man had a meat diet and without that diet they would not have survived and you would not be here to talk about it"

I am not sure meat eaters OR vegetarians can or should be convinced by that line of reasoning. There are a lot of things we would not exist now, if we did not have when we were "early man". That does not mean we can, or should, have them now.

When judging the morality or utility of something we do TODAY, we should consider it on the merits it holds TODAY. Not what it may, or may not, have brought us in the far distant past.

Also how safe do you think your assumption that we would not have survived even is? We are a very adaptable species. And other species have adapted to complex changes in their diet too. For example Pandas.... those lovable docile "vegetarians" were once very much carnivores. "Previous research has suggested environmental changes killed off most of the panda prey, leaving them no choice but to turn vegetarian in order to survive."
    In a distant future all mankind will be vegan and ignorant people like you will be a smelly meat eating race that dwells in the sewers eating rats

Your interlocutor is probably very wrong here. We have made very large inroads into lab grown meat. Which means in this "distant future" mankind will likely be just as much an omnivore as it is now. There is a company called "Memphis Meats" for example (I hope I remembered that name right, too lazy to google) who are attempting to go to market with the first such product(s).
    Upon further research some Vegans have actually physically attacked people

Perhaps but that is not remarkable. You go into ANY debate and you will find there are people attacking other people. So that your further research finds it here is no surprise really. I would be more surprised if you did NOT find such things.
    We all know the world has a PC overdose but are we really being attaced both verbally and physically by Vegans because we eat meat?? Maybe the no meat diet is causing their anger??

Or maybe with a small level of human empathy and imagination you could try and see it from their side. Not AGREE with them I mean. Just see it from their side.

If you saw me whipping a random small child with a whip for fun, would you stop me? I suspect you would try at least. You would feel compelled by what you see as a horrific injustice to stop me. First with words, and when words failed then likely with violence.

So maybe you can stop and realize that, however misguided they might or might not be in their ideas, these vegans see a genuine injustice occurring in our world. And they feel just as compelled to stop it, as you would be to stop me whipping that child.

I for one have listened to their concerns over the years, and it has motivated me to source my meat in the most ethical fashion(s) I can at any given time. And I support many initiative that strive to make the production of meat in our world more ethical.

And just as soon as they come up with a good argument as to why I should not be eating meat AT ALL, then that will influence my behavior too and I genuinely will stop. But I suspect the reason such arguments have not been forthcoming to date.... is that there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I don't eat what food eats.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,026 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

would you need teeth if you were eating flowers

As a vegan who has never lectured anyone on their diet choices, I've found that people are very touchy towards my own tbh.

I wonder why that is :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There was corn fed rat on a menu in a restaurant I went to in China. They brought the live rat through the restaurant and slit its throat in view of everyone. Snake was also on the menu.

I had the chicken (or so I was told)

I often see threads here in which vegans say they a ridiculed by meat eater at weddings/events and to be honest I have never really experienced this. I have a few relatives who a vegans and all they do is share images of animals and say how can you eat me and say you wouldn't eat the dog.

Don't like dog meat unlike Koreans.

There seems to be a lot of shy vegans creeping into this thread.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There was corn fed rat on a menu in a restaurant I went to in China. They brought the live rat through the restaurant and slit its throat in view of everyone. Snake was also on the menu.

I had the chicken (or so I was told)

Do they also bring the chicken through the restaurant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Your interlocutor is probably very wrong here. We have made very large inroads into lab grown meat. Which means in this "distant future" mankind will likely be just as much an omnivore as it is now. There is a company called "Memphis Meats" for example (I hope I remembered that name right, too lazy to google) who are attempting to go to market with the first such product(s).

First of all, you got the name right.

Secondly, lab-grown meat has me wondering, how many vegans/vegetarians would resume eating meat if that made it to market? Concerns of killing live animals would be irrelevant, and I can only think of one objection against such meat, that being that the original animal providing the chicken/cow/pig/sheep etc. DNA couldn't consent to providing it, much like how vegans claim chickens can't consent to you eating their eggs or that cows can't consent to you drinking their milk or eating any cheese/butter that results from it.

Advertisement