Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help wiring a Netatmo thermostat

Options
  • 13-01-2018 7:45pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey there,

I'm looking to replace my old wired (mains powered) controls with a Netatmo thermostat but I'm having a bit of trouble with the wiring.

As you can see from the attached photos, there's no black/grey wiring so I can't tell which ones should go into the thermo or relay.

I don't mind whether I wire the relay or the thermo to the boiler but I'd like to be able to use the wiring that's already there if I can. Can anyone help me in getting this right?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

From what I see you just have a neutral, live and switched live at your current controller. I'm not familiar with Netatmo but if it switches 220v the output of the relay should go to brown wire currently on terminal 4 in your second photo.

Do you have other thermostats in the house? I'm wondering if the cable on terminal 4 goes straight to your boiler or via some thermostats. Have you zone valves? What terminals are on the back of the Netamo?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

tnegun wrote: »
    From what I see you just have a neutral, live and switched live at your current controller. I'm not familiar with Netatmo but if it switches 220v the output of the relay should go to brown wire currently on terminal 4 in your second photo.

Do you have other thermostats in the house? I'm wondering if the cable on terminal 4 goes straight to your boiler or via some thermostats. Have you zone valves? What terminals are on the back of the Netamo?

I’ve no other thermostat or zones.

The back of the Netatmo itself has two terminals for the Control wires - it’s battery powered so no power (live/neutral) terminals.

That being said I do have the option of wiring the relay to the boiler instead - that has two control wires (grey and black) and two power wires (brown and blue). I don’t mind which I wire to the boiler -whatever makes the most sense given my current set up

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

flogen wrote:
    That being said I do have the option of wiring the relay to the boiler instead - that has two control wires (grey and black) and two power wires (brown and blue). I don’t mind which I wire to the boiler -whatever makes the most sense given my current set up

If you email them with a picture of your cabling and the name of the boiler they'll help you, it's in them manual

If thats all you have you just need the relay to switch the live to the brown wire currently connected to terminal 4. You can loose the jumper cable between L and 2 and keep both of the brown wires at L connected together.

Stoner wrote: »
    flogen wrote:

If you email them with a picture of your cabling and the name of the boiler they'll help you, it's in them manual

I’ve done that but got a mail back saying they’re dealing with a high volume of queries so there’ll be a delay in responding. That was almost a week ago so not sure how much longer I’ll be left waiting!

• Advertisement

If thats all you have you just need the relay to switch the live to the brown wire currently connected to terminal 4. You can loose the jumper cable between L and 2 and keep both of the brown wires at L connected together.

Okay, that sounds straight-forward enough!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

flogen wrote: »

Your best bet here is to ignore the old controller and instead wire the Netatmo relay directly into the boiler, since your boiler sounds straight forward and compatible with the relay. The Netatmo Thermostat would then be used wireless.

Check the Netatmo manual for how to do this. They also have very good viedos on how to do this on their site.

WARNING make sure to cut off power to your boiler first. Safety first.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    Your best bet here is to ignore the old controller and instead wire the Netatmo relay directly into the boiler, since your boiler sounds straight forward and compatible with the relay. The Netatmo Thermostat would then be used wireless.

Good advice.

TBH I'm not sure the netamo switches 230V

The documents I saw were all about connecting to the existing Low voltage Thermostat connections (the grey white connection you talk about)
    Or they talk about finding the remote stat terminals on the boiler.

You'll most likely have no stat connections at that switch, you have a permanent supply to the boiler and a switched 230V live to the boiler.

You boiler might have a built in stat. And you'd need to identify these terminals (remote stat)

I could be wrong but the netamo is possibly not the easiest of these systems to connect. That's why they give you leads etc to install it near to your boiler and power it from the existing spur switch.

Their documentation is difficult to read imo. Its developed around the popular UK boilers

However all the connections you need should be at the boiler including permanent 230V for the relay. This should be supplied via a switched fused spur protected with a 5 amp fuse.

bk wrote: »

Check the Netatmo manual for how to do this. They also have very good viedos on how to do this on their site.

WARNING make sure to cut off power to your boiler first. Safety first.

I’m starting to think that would be the cleaner way of going about it.

If I disconnect the old wiring at the boiler, cover off what’s left on the Control side (with a junction box maybe) and keep its fuse switch off I’m assuming that will ensure there’s no danger with what’s left in the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Good advice.

TBH I'm not sure the netamo switches 230V

The documents I saw were all about connecting to the existing Low voltage Thermostat connections (the grey white connection you talk about)
    Or they talk about finding the remote stat terminals on the boiler.

You'll most likely have no stat connections at that switch, you have a permanent supply to the boiler and a switched 230V live to the boiler.

You boiler might have a built in stat. And you'd need to identify these terminals (remote stat)

I could be wrong but the netamo is possibly not the easiest of these systems to connect. That's why they give you leads etc to install it near to your boiler and power it from the existing spur switch.

Their documentation is difficult to read imo. Its developed around the popular UK boilers

However all the connections you need should be at the boiler including permanent 230V for the relay. This should be supplied via a switched fused spur protected with a 5 amp fuse.

Thanks. Planning on having a look at the boiler side tomorrow, hopefully it’s relatively clear which terminal is which.

So I've had a fairly frustrating hour or so at the boiler but no sign of this working.

Here's the power and control terminals that the old controls were wired to and that I connected the relay to... but when I switched the power back on there was no sign of life at the boiler (or the relay itself).

Usually the boiler goes through a cycle when it starts up but nothing happened at all - and pressing the button on the relay (that's meant to fire the boiler) did nothing either.

I feared for a minute that I'd done something unintentional and knackered the whole boiler but once I rewired the old controls everything worked fine.

Maybe a stupid question but could it be that the wiring for the old controls is providing power to the boiler? If so is there a straight-forward way to fix it or would I need to get the whole boiler rewired?

I didn't think of taking a picture but the wiring from the old controls seem fairly convoluted - they go from the boiler itself to a terminal block, which in turn seems to run up to another terminal block and then up through the ceiling towards the controls.

Does the live and neutral from the white block just continue on to the green block? If so I dont think you don't have a stat or control terminals just a switched mains voltage to the boiler from the old controller.

Does the live and neutral from the white block just continue on to the green block? If so I dont think you don't have a stat or control terminals just a switched mains voltage to the boiler from the old controller.

No, they’re both separate wires that run to the same terminal block, which leads out of the boiler, into the ceiling and on to the old controls

Ok from what I can see your old controller is just switching mains it looks like that just comes back from the controller to the boiler on the green terminal firing it.

Did you have any luck figuring out if the Netamo can switch mains voltage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Ok from what I can see your old controller is just switching mains it looks like that just comes back from the controller to the boiler on the green terminal firing it.

Did you have any luck figuring out if the Netamo can switch mains voltage?

So does that mean I wire one of the black/grey cables to the green terminal and the other in with the brown/live on the other terminal?

Currently trying to figure out if it can switch mains voltage or not.

I think so. Do you have a multimeter?

I think so. Do you have a multimeter?

Nope - but I've been planning on getting one, so I suppose now's as good a time as any. What am I looking for?

If its possible to view those green terminals safely with the mains live you want to see what voltage is across them when the boiler is off and when running. I suspect off will be 0 and running 230.

I'm still a bit unclear on how your boiler is wired so maybe try explain it from the fused spur. On mine its fused spur to controller and then via some stats/ zone valves back to the boiler.

Yours seems to be boiler to controller from the white connector block and back from the controller to the boiler on the green?

• Advertisement

If its possible to view those green terminals safely with the mains live you want to see what voltage is across them when the boiler is off and when running. I suspect off will be 0 and running 230.

I'm still a bit unclear on how your boiler is wired so maybe try explain it from the fused spur. On mine its fused spur to controller and then via some stats/ zone valves back to the boiler.

Yours seems to be boiler to controller from the white connector block and back from the controller to the boiler on the green?

Just getting around to doing this (the way the place is wired means I have to kill every plug downstairs to power off the boiler!).

As you suspected the green terminal is running 0 when off and 230 when running.

Here's the block the wiring is running into - as you can see the blue is split between the power and control terminals.

That wiring runs up the top of the boiler to another terminal, which I tried to get a photo of too... though I could only really see one side.

By the way there's a fuse switch beside my current controls - when that's off it seems to kill power to the boiler... not sure if that complicates matters but any thoughts as to how I go about wiring this would be appreciated!

I can't really tell from the pics but going back to the first images you posted from the back of the time clock I think you just need to switch the live to the brown wire on pin 4. That way you can avoid messing with the internal wiring of the boiler as it appears you don't have a stat link to use internally anyway.

Did you figure out if the Netamo can switch 230v? I had a quick look at the install guide and I think it can but you really need to confirm it with them.

I can't really tell from the pics but going back to the first images you posted from the back of the time clock I think you just need to switch the live to the brown wire on pin 4. That way you can avoid messing with the internal wiring of the boiler as it appears you don't have a stat link to use internally anyway.

So you think it’s just best to wire the thermostat rather than the relay?
    Did you figure out if the Netamo can switch 230v? I had a quick look at the install guide and I think it can but you really need to confirm it with them.

Not yet - waiting for a reply from their support team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I wired up with using live coming into time clock at 230v and used the switch wire to boiler to control.

Basically use mains 230v and blue neutral.

Then the two cables to the boiler...

Your netatamo now becomes the thermostat you never had.

The hardwire set up links directly to the WiFi then your thermostat if i recall right.

I don't have unit set up any more as moved houses as it was a rental I set it up in.

From the quick look I had a the Netamo stuff is the relay not just for remote control? Its an rf relay and the switching relay is in the stat? Or have I got it arseways!

The unit that has the display controls it all.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

@ OP did you get it working?

What type of boiler have you? It’s been designed to be plug and play for a limited number of gas boilers, anything outside their list of comparable boilers needs a bit of innovation that a diy person will struggle with. As far as I understand the netatmo relay does not give the 230v outage required to fire the boiler, old style timer clocks do so it’s not a like for like replacement.

I wired up with using live coming into time clock at 230v and used the switch wire to boiler to control.

Basically use mains 230v and blue neutral.

Then the two cables to the boiler...

Your netatamo now becomes the thermostat you never had.

The hardwire set up links directly to the WiFi then your thermostat if i recall right.

I don't have unit set up any more as moved houses as it was a rental I set it up in.

So I wire what’s currently going to L in one terminal in the Netatmo unit? If so do I wire the two at L together or just use one of them?

And then it’s the wire going to N in the other?

@ OP did you get it working?

What type of boiler have you? It’s been designed to be plug and play for a limited number of gas boilers, anything outside their list of comparable boilers needs a bit of innovation that a diy person will struggle with. As far as I understand the netatmo relay does not give the 230v outage required to fire the boiler, old style timer clocks do so it’s not a like for like replacement.

Not yet. Waiting to see if Netatmo support can give me a definitive answer on the relay.

It’s a Vokera Vibe 25a. May just cut my losses and get an electrician in if I can’t crack it soon.

• Advertisement

How many wires are in the original set up?

Is there a hot water zone or just the one clock does all so to speak.

If one zone the netatamo is ideal.

Basically you will have your 230v supply and blue neutral.

These two should be connected to power the netatamo unit with the tales( cable ) attached then the WiFi unit plugs into the front of this when you fix it to a wall or timber fixing etc...

You should then have the 2 control cables going to the boiler as this unit acts as a switch it's just replacing the old style clock which was the switch.

As soon as you link it and put batteries into the thermostat you will be up and running and the stand alone thermostat will control the boiler whether it comes on or not.

Advertisement