Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermos Food and travel mugs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I have that food flask, I've tried a few and don't think there's a better
    one out there.

I thing I paid nearly a tenner more on amazon.
    you can fit just the fight amount of food in it for one person.

this is also a very good offer
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Stainless-King-Flask-Midnight/dp/B00LAZ5KQI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515840772&sr=8-5&keywords=thermos+food+flasks

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Thanks op, two food flasks reserved

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bought the food flask from the Avoca department store on the Naas road a few years back I think it cost me about €45 then.

Have never had one as good before or since. Smashing deal at this price.

Perfect if you're training or on a diet as you can throw leftovers from the previous evenings dinner into it for work that next day.

Mines still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,460 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Best keep your receipt in a very safe place :D
    Manufacturer's 50 year guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would want bigger than 470ml, it would be ok for many though. To give people an idea most of those foil takeaway trays you would get rice in are around the same size. It is 16oz or 1 US pint

http://www.heraldplastic.com/index.php/catering-disposables/disposable-food-containers/foil-takeaway-containers/no-2-foil-container-wn2.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

rubadub wrote: »
    I would want bigger than 470ml, it would be ok for many though. To give people an idea most of those foil takeaway trays you would get rice in are around the same size. It is 16oz or 1 US pint

http://www.heraldplastic.com/index.php/catering-disposables/disposable-food-containers/foil-takeaway-containers/no-2-foil-container-wn2.html

excellent point there

If for example I'm bringing chicken curry and rice with me, my portion of curry would mean filling this and that would be a decent portion, the rice I bring in an ordinary container.
    If a stew then it's just about adequate (i've a big appetite) so for lads I would recommend the bigger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Well, this will make eating at work a whole lot cheaper in the long run, thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Picked mne up today OP! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Stainless Steel Soup Flask with Spoon Pink 470ml
    code: 063756
    NOW €9.99

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/back-to-school/stainless-steel-soup-flask-with-spoon-pink-470ml/invt/063756

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

sharkman wrote: »
    NOW €9.99

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/back-to-school/stainless-steel-soup-flask-with-spoon-pink-470ml/invt/063756

I'd rather pay the extra fiver for the thermos king, proven quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Thanks, got two today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sharkman wrote: »
    NOW €9.99

I picked up mine during the week, and the quality is excellent. I would suggest the extra fiver is a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So why have you folks bought these? Are you outdoor fans, work in a job where you don't have access to hot food/a microwave? I'm trying to figure out how it's of benefit to the average Joe.

I've still reserved one.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

I noticed some coming up for sale in Aldi. I think the Food flask is 750ml for €9.99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

So why have you folks bought these? Are you outdoor fans, work in a job where you don't have access to hot food/a microwave? I'm trying to figure out how it's of benefit to the average Joe.

I've still reserved one.

I don't have one but I've 2 king flasks, a large and a small one. I drink a lot of tea.
    Nothing better than dropping the kids to school, heading to the woods with the dog for a stroll and having a cuppa and a scone half ways thru.
    If I'm going fishing I bring the big flask, I get 3 cups and a pot noodle out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've still reserved one.

I sail, and clearly remember on an overnight race one crew member took out a food flask and demolished a meal of piping hot spag bol, while I ate a cold soggy sandwich.

Have wanted one of these ever since, but never got around to it - so I got one of these - thanks OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,718 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Picked up one of those thermos mugs for €2.50 in tesco.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Picked up the two food flasks yesterday.
    Other half does a lot of driving for work so is rarely near a microwave and the microwave in my work is annoying slow and unreliable.

Thanks again op

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

iHungry wrote: »
    I noticed some coming up for sale in Aldi. I think the Food flask is 750ml for €9.99

They aren't Thermos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

I've reserved one because I drive a truck and always plan on bringing food with me but rarely happens so I end up eating out of a deli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Zico !

The food flask is tiny got it the other day barely fit a spud into it

Zico ! wrote: »
    The food flask is tiny got it the other day barely fit a spud into it
    It does look a bit petite!

But it's nearly 0.5l capacity, and for me anyway it'll hold one portion of food that will fill the space (ie not an actual potato which would leave loads of spare air!) - say soup or stew or the spag bol that I was soooooo envious of that time out sailing.

Given that my eyes are frequently bigger than my stomach, it's size is perfect for me!

Well i can now vouch for the cold - keeping properties of this.... stuck some frozen veggies in it earlier and when i opened it up after about 2 hours not even the icy slush on them had melted. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I have the Argos one. I got it last week but hasn't been opened or used. I do think it's very small for me. I'm thinking of returning it and buying the Aldi one for my husband's lunches. Which do you think would be better for keeping things for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭MoonshineMonty

I have the Argos one. I got it last week but hasn't been opened or used. I do think it's very small for me. I'm thinking of returning it and buying the Aldi one for my husband's lunches. Which do you think would be better for keeping things for?

Got one in Argos today. Guess it depends how long you want your food to stay hot for. Aldi's description says food stays hot for 6 hours. Argos one says it stays hot for 9 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Got one in Argos today. Guess it depends how long you want your food to stay hot for. Aldi's description says food stays hot for 6 hours. Argos one says it stays hot for 9 hours.

Thanks. I should've said 6 hours is more than sufficient for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    say soup or stew or the spag bol that I was soooooo envious of that time out sailing.

I genuinely love that the sailing spag bol not only lives long in your memory but that it is worthy of a mention in two posts :D:D:D

123654789 wrote: »
    I genuinely love that the sailing spag bol not only lives long in your memory but that it is worthy of a mention in two posts :D:D:D

Oh you have no idea! I nearly threw yer man overboard for his hot food :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

A bit of buyers remorse here purely based on buyers error, I should have given the .47ltr capacity more thought before buying. It really is for small meals / snacks, definitely won’t take an adults full meal.

I’ll keep it as it’ll do for the kids.

For what it is it’s a good price so thabks anyway op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Those are very vague, some flasks tell you the temperature drop over hours when the flask if full of boiling water. Argos one might be exagerrating and aldi might be being cautious in their despcriptions.

You can preheat them with hot water, and heat the food going in so it is piping hot. I have a lidl one and it is ok, but leaks if tipped on its side if filled with very watery food. Even 5 hours later the food can be too hot to eat for me, if I have preheated everything.
    A bit of buyers remorse here purely based on buyers error, I should have given the .47ltr capacity more thought before buying. It really is for small meals / snacks, definitely won’t take an adults full meal.
    I was warning about this, saying it is the size of those foil trays of takeaway rice. If you put a bowl on a weighing scale you can pour in 470ml or 470g of water and see what it looks like.

If this was all I had I would want to maybe bring other things like bread with it. Hot dogs do very well in them, leaving it full of boiling water. You could also have other stuff in it if you are not that fussy, e.g. you could heat up beans or noodles and put them in and then hotdogs in as well, so you are not wasting space with just boiling water.

For max benefit it should be filled to the max, the food will have more energy so cool less. e.g. if you half filled it with soup it could drop from 90C to 60C but over the same time you can expect it to be roughly half that drop if you use twice the food, so a full soup would go from 90C to 75C.

Advertisement