Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

guitar eye candy…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

He's sounding like Beavis or Butthead with that crowd address😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

from what I saw of Glasto on the iPlayer, not as good a lineup as some of the previous years

Arctic Monkeys - I like them but I can take or leave their recent jazz-pop albums and that stuff just doesn't fly in a field with 100,000 people. As others have mentioned Alex Turner has turned into a parody and the constant shifting between the old and new stuff, and big gaps between songs robbed their set of any momentum. Can't see them headlining Glasto again, and maybe they're fine with that.

GnR - wasn't a massive fan back in the day and their set reminded me how few of their songs I really know. Axl's voice was ropey, Slash was phenomenal though.

Elton John - his voice is mostly gone but he had the crowd in his hand, and I was impressed at how ancient his band is.

Cat Stephens - not the biggest fan of his records but I really enjoyed his set which was the right level of mellow, and unlike many of his peers his voice is still exactly the same as it was (taking 25 years off might have helped).

Fatboy slim - Surprisingly enjoyable for a guy playing records and waving his hands about - it was the same with the Avalanches last year, the enthusiasm of the crowd and the DJ is infectious I guess, even if I wasn't as chemically enhanced as they were (well, I'd had a few beers).

I also enjoyed what I saw of Sparks, Hot Chip and Rick Astley doing the Smiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Cat Stephens must collect some amount of royalties each year. You'd know most of his set, even if was from ads etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Never saw Cat Stevens playing line before. It was absolutely the perfect Sunday evening gig. It was just so refreshing to see someone just playing their stuff without a massive ego despite being a legend. Sounding great too. Much better than most of his contemporaries I think. I really enjoyed it.

Yeah I think they needed a big opening headline act Friday night and Arctic Monkeys certainly were not it. I thought Friday night felt really dead this year. The Friday normally gets me revived up and excited but it really was too low key. Glad they booked GnR. They were a highlight. Elton John was fine. It was what it was but glad I wasn’t standing in a field having paid for the experience. I have to go back and catch some of the other gigs yet like editors and Fatboy. Highlights fur be were Cat Stevens, GnR and Christine abd the Queens doing a quite strange performance art and musical set but it was great. For sheer fun, Rick Astley’s set wins hands down. Very likeable guy and it was great fun altogether. Otherwise there was definitely something lacking this year. .

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I know they were the mystery guests, but it would have been great if the Foos had been the Friday night headliner.

Alex Turner’s current direction (persona?) of some sort of lounge lizard cabaret crooner just doesn’t connect with a festival crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'm guessing Cristina and the Queens were the only act who purchased their top in a pharmacy 😁

Definitely. FF would have tore the place up. It’d have been a great kickstart. I don’t ever want to see Arctic Monkeys mentioned in the context of a headline act ever again. You really have to wonder what was going through the organisers heads!

• Advertisement

You could almost hear the exasperated sigh from the crowd when the Monkeys launched into another new song.

In an early Manics interview, Nicky Wire spoke of certain bands that people have in their record collection just because they’re deemed ‘cool by critics’ but will never be played (he singled out Gang If Four and XTC).

I honestly believe that Arctic Monkeys fall into this category in 2023 - all the middle-aged 6Music dads buy their new stuff but will never play them, whilst the older die-hard fans are just hoping that they’ll bring out material like their debut album!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Not sure if allowed, so Mods please feel free to remove if any issue, but I have two War on Drugs tickets for tomorrow for face value. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Not fair to include XTC in that bracket in my view. I don’t have all their records, but they could put on one hell of a greatest hits show. They have a fantastic back catalogue. Mayor Of Simpleton is one of the best pop songs ever written, just to take one example. Unfortunately Andy Partridge hates playing live, after some very bad experiences in the 80’s and seems to have no interest in getting the band together again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

It was the highlight of the weekend for me. Josh homme commanded the stage. He was rousing everyone considering it was the Sunday night amd played well to that.

I didn’t get my usual amount of time to watch the coverage this year so missed out on some of the other sets. Foo fighters was another highlight but found it hard to stay interested in arctic monkeys/gnr/Elton.

it’s still on the bucket list, and would not care who was headlining as the place just seems bonkers.

Wire wasn’t dissing XTC musically (they are/were great), it was more a potshot at the way the London music press tell you there are certain bands that you HAVE to like and buy their records (Albums You Must Listen To Before You Die!) but in the long run you’d never listen to them.

Television are another example - if you’re into ‘punk’ then you supposedly HAVE to own ‘Marquee Moon’, but at the end of the day it’ll be your least played album.

Can you get BBC iPlayer over there?

You can watch back all of the sets for the next 28 days (just watched the QOTSA set again)!

Brand new Dexys documentary on Sky Arts tonight at 10pm!

Yay!

Or ‘Too-Rye-YAY’, if you will.

Followed by Sparks live in Berlin!

Yay again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

There's a Sparks gig on BBC4 tonight as well 😃

CPL 593H

Proper goosebumps from this Dexys gig!

Roll on the live shows in September!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Blondie live from 1979 on BBC 4 now. Fairly good now it must be said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

Clem!

CPL 593H

Motorhead live on Sky Arts right now, followed by a new AC/DC documentary at 10.15pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Noel Gallagher controversial Joy Division cover coming up on BBC2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

"... which was a great story, and I sincerely **** hope it's true"

ETA: Ha ha, as I'm usually fairly restrained with swearwords online, the auto-censoring of this quote took me by surprise after posting 😂

ABC performing ‘The Lexicon Of Love’ in its entirety right now on Sky Arts!

Spilling up in silk and coffee lace

You hook me up a rendez-vous at your place 

Your lipstick and your lip gloss seals my fate

Sentimental powers might help you now 

But skip the hearts and flowers, skip the ivory towers

You'll be disappointed and I'll lose a friend

Absolute genius!

RIP Tony Bennett :(

Pure class…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dasdog

Concert being shown at 19:00 on BBC4 as a tribute to the great man. I was so close to seeing him about 6/7 years ago alas he fell ill the day before the concert. I knew that was my only chance :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

Glad I never went with the hype for Jake White/ stripes, not getting them at all as much as I'd like to? He's very indulgent,, don't like that!

Advertisement