Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Craig doing his best to look enthusiastic at the side while planning his daring escape from Planet Bros

• Registered Users Posts: 71,723 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*dives back behind couch*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

watching sound of song on bbc4 what a gem of a series

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

To update my previous post (#3143) on NowTV access to Sky Arts:
    (1) "Beside Bowie" is back in their on-demand listing, though I had to scroll through hundreds of items to find that out now, and it cannot be found through their search box (at the moment anyway); seems that available content fluctuates a bit
    (2) I've now realised I can play Sky Arts live during my sub period (D'oh :P)
    Is this in relation to now.tv in Ireland? I'm in the UK and I can find all the shows you're mentioning to watch on demand.

Is the music videos of the 90s a show that plays a few music videos with some facts overlaid or is it a proper deep dive into the videos?

watching sound of song on bbc4 what a gem of a series

Always thought Steve Albini’s mix of ‘In Utero’ was much better than the final version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is this in relation to now.tv in Ireland? I'm in the UK and I can find all the shows you're mentioning to watch on demand.

Is the music videos of the 90s a show that plays a few music videos with some facts overlaid or is it a proper deep dive into the videos?
    Thanks - interesting. "Music Videos that Defined the 90s" (which I'm watching now live) is a several-pundits-making comments of variable interest about a quick series of video snippets (not just captions on videos)

Rob Halford really let himself go in '88. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Rob Halford really let himself go in '88. :pac:
    "Some heads are gonna roll..."

Mistletoe And Wine!

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

This country music series is just superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Raconteuse wrote: »
    This country music series is just superb.

I've been recording since it started.. I'm waiting for an evening whemn I've the house to myself. Ie. Never

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Suede doc is fantastic thanks for the tip skidx!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Thought they might have given The big O a mention on TOTP of 8th December 1988. He died 2 days prior to that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Skid X wrote: »
    Craig doing his best to look enthusiastic at the side while planning his daring escape from Planet Bros

For the last time, it's KEN!! :-)

Hello, there is more country than you get at Bob's Country Bunker this week - The excellent Ken Burns epic series continues and both BBC4 and Sky have plenty of similar stuff. Elsewhere the Pet Shop Boys get a runout on Sky and there is a deluge of Rod Stewart on BBC2 ...

Thursday
    9pm The Foster And Allen Show (TG4)

10pm Dido In Concert (BBC Red Button, repeated on loop for most of the weekend)

11pm Frank Sinatra In Concert At The Royal Festival Hall (Sky Arts)
    1970 Concert

1.10am Film Quadrophenia (1979) (Film4)
    This was on constant rotation on Sky Arts for ages, Film4 have it now

Friday
    2pm Elvis And The Girl From Vienna (Sky Arts)
    Doc about Elvis’s secretary

3pm Simply Red Live In Holland (Sky Arts)

7pm Sounds Of The 70s (BBC4)

7pm When Patsy Kline Was Crazy (Sky Arts)
    Rosanne Cash narrates a documentary about the life, career and legacy of the American country music singer

8pm Carl Perkins And Friends (Sky Arts)
    The rockabilly legend is joined by fellow artists Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr and more for special concert recorded in London in 1985

8pm Barbra Streisand: Becoming An Icon (BBC4)

8.30pm Ceol@Celtic (TG4)

9pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – December 15 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Mark Goodier present the edition first aired on December 15 featuring performances by Bon Jovi, Petula Clark, U2, New Order, the Four Tops, Kim Wilde, Londonbeat, Erasure, Inner City, Cliff Richard and a-ha

9pm I Am Johnny Cash (Sky Arts)
    A celebration of the country singer-songwriter built around 12 of his classic tracks spanning four decades, and featuring interviews with his family and friends. Includes interviews with John Carter Cash, Rosanne Cash, Carlene Carter, Merle Haggard, Kris Krisofferson, Willie Nelson, Rick Rubin, Sheryl Crow, John Mellencamp and others
    This was on RTE a while back, the full show is here

9.30pm Country Music By Ken Burns (BBC4)
    Ep 7/9 Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way? (1973-1983) The history of the musical art form from 1973 to 1983, when Dolly Parton crossed over to mainstream success and became the most famous woman in country music. George Jones and Tammy Wynette seemingly lived out their songs' tragic lyrics, while Hank Williams Jr. emerged from his father's shadow and debuted on the Opry show at just 11 years old. Contributors include Dolly Parton, Kris Kristofferson, Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Brenda Lee and Hank Williams Jr.

10.20pm Ep 8/9 Music Will Get Through (1973-1983) The history of the American art form from the mid-1970s to the early 1980s. Though no longer heard on country radio, Bluegrass retained its strong core of avid fans. During the same period, Willie Nelson discovered a new music scene in Austin, Texas where hippies and rednecks seemed to get along. Ricky Skaggs had deep Bluegrass credentials, but his time with Emmylou Harris's Hot Band inspired him to experiment with a sound combining the acoustic instruments of a string band with something more electric.

9.35pm Late Late Show – Shane MacGowan Tribute (RTE1)
    A special tribute show for Shane MacGowan

10pm Better Midler – One Night Only (VM1)
    Old ITV TV Special

10.55pm Johnny Cash – Behind Prison Walls (Sky Arts)
    1977 Nashville Penitentary Concert

11.15pm Sisters In Country – Dolly , Linda And Emmylou (BBC4)
    Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris compare notes and chat about their careers

11.55pm Danny Baker’s Christmas Hits (Sky Arts)
    Danny discusses 12 sometimes overlooked Christmas Songs, including this one

12.15am Ultimate Cover Versions At The BBC (BBC4)

1am Other Voices (RTE2)

1.15am Bros: After The Screaming Stops (BBC4)
    After three years of hysteria wherever twins Matt and Luke Goss went, this documentary recalls the aftermath - the fragility of fame and the heartbreak that followed. It also charts the pair's professional reunion 28 years on, having hardly spoken and not played together since their split, as they prepare to play London's O2. Not featuring Ken, sadly

1.25am Andy Williams: Happy Holidays (Sky Arts)

2.40am Almost Fashionable – A Film About Travis (Sky Arts)
    The Travis Doc which was on last weekend

2.45am Tunes For Tyrants – Music And Power With Suzy Klein (BBC4)
    Suzy Klein explores the use, abuse and manipulation of music in the Second World War - from swinging jazz to film soundtracks and from mushy ballads to madcap ballets. The war, she demonstrates, wasn't just a military fight but an ideological battle where both sides used music as a weapon to secure their vision for civilization

Saturday
    4pm-7pm Isle Of Wight Festival 2019 (Sky Arts)

7pm TOTP2 Christmas (BBC4)

7pm Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)

7pm Tom Jones At The BBC (Yesterday)

7pm Take That Live: Wonderland (Sky One)

7.15pm Matt Cunningham – Ri An Seit (TG4)
    Documentary in which troubadour Matt Cunningham invites cameras to accompany him to his family home in Headford, Co Galway, for a greater insight into his life off-stage

8pm You’ve Got A Friend – The Carole King Story (Yesterday)

8pm Pet Shop Boys – Inner Sanctum Super Tour (Sky Arts) New!
    Performances by the duo recorded during their four-day residency at the Royal Opera House in July 2018, featuring It's a Sin, Left to My Own Devices and Always on My Mind

8.15pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)

9.10pm Rod Stewart: Reel Stories (BBC2)
    The singer talks to Dermot O'Leary about his life. From Abbey Road to the Royal Albert Hall and Motown to Maggie May, Dermot takes Rod back to his childhood cinema to relive moments from a career spanning six decades

9.40pm Imagine: Rod Stewart – Can’t Stop Me Now (BBC2)
    The veteran rocker invites Alan Yentob to his LA home to conduct an interview, in which Stewart looks back on a career spanning almost 50 years

10.15pm A Kylie Christmas (Sky Arts)

11.05pm Rod Stewart Live In Hyde Park 2015 (BBC2)
    Here are some pictures of Rod’s Train Set https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50403561

11.50pm Duran Duran One Night Only (VM1)

12.05am Dido In Concert (BBC4)

12.15am Bee Gees Live In Melbourne 1989 (Sky Arts)

2.25am-5.05am Download Festival 2019 (Sky Arts)
    More tomorrow

Sunday
    7pm Proms In The Park (BBC2 NI)
    From Belfast. With Susan Boyle and Others.

7pm Pavarotti 10th Anniversary Gala (Sky Arts)

8.15pm The Three Tenors 1999 Christmas Concert (Sky Arts)

9pm Singing The Messiah (BBC2 NI)
    Handel’s Messiah. Performed for the first time in Ulster Scots. Set your tapes now

9.30pm Hammond Duais An Doras (TG4)
    Profile of Singer and Filmaker David Hammond

Midnight Sinatra And Friends (Sky Arts)
    A TV special from 1977, with John Denver, Natalie Cole, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Loretta Lynn, Leslie Uggams and Robert Merrill

2am-4.45am Download Festival 2019 (Sky Arts)

Hopefully more news to follow about the Shane MacGowan Late Late Show Tribute show. Expect plenty of music and anecdotes - here's a decent attempt by Kiefer Sutherland to do a Shane Story, he drops plenty of names but it wouldn't be in the sligojoek league

That's more or less that, that Rod Stewart night reminded me of the time he did the Most pissed drawing of the home teams for the Scottish Cup Fifth Round Draw Ever, although it should be pointed out that it was Alan Stubbs who almost mixed up his 6 and his 9

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Not that feckin Bros doc again? And Duran Duran for apparently an infinite number of nights. Anything worth watching (for me) is on Sky Arts, which I don't have . Grumble whinge Grumble. / End rant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Other voices gets later and later!

By Jovi!

source.gif

Downtown ‘88!

WHOY, PETULA, WHOY? :(

New Order performing live!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I won't lie, I thought New Order only made World in Motion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Its impressive how Cliff had at least one number 1 single in the 50s,60s,70s,80s and 90s

Downtown ‘88!

WHOY, PETULA, WHOY? :(

I have literally no idea WM, but I am reminded of the time Phillip Schofield got behind Downtown and tried to get it in the charts.

Happy days

Also, Petula Clark did a duet cover with the SawDoctors, which was nice

DownTown was a bit epic though, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Jeebus - MTV initially resisting the Billie Jean video because of the (then) colour of MJ's skin...but then I realise the following was from '80s also...

Chip Shop Boys time on Sky Arts :)

Robert Johnson is the lad who apparently sold his soul to the devil in return for being able to play the Blues like a demon

Which seems like a sweet deal, but Robert also got the bonus of having a Cairn dedicated to him in the Scottish Borders. Which was nice.

This clip is from BBC1's Nationwide in 1970.

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1206197215464693760

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BcF10-qjGE

There is a Netflix Doc about him called 'Devil At The Crossroads', I can't confirm if it features any Cairn action

Hi there, you wait all year for a doc about Fairytale Of New York and then two come along at the same time on Thursday. The BBC4 repeat of the BBC3 one is the best, I think. Friday see another chance to see the very good Leonard Cohen doc from a while back on BBC2 and there's bits of Queen all over the place ...

Thursday
    12pm Music Icons – Neil Diamond (Sky Arts)
    12.30pm Discovering Music – Johnny Cash (Sky Arts)

1pm Johnny Cash Song By Song – A Boy Named Sue (Sky Arts)
    1.30pm Dolly Parton Song By Song – It’s All Wrong But It’s All Right (Sky Arts)

4pm Nat King Cole – Afraid Of The Dark (Sky Arts)
    Nat King Cole Doc

9pm The Foster And Allen Show (TG4)
    Warning: This Programme contains Nathan Carter

9pm Freddie Mercury – A Christmas Story (Channel 5)
    Freddie Mercury had a deep-rooted love for everything Christmas, with a lifelong generosity of spirit. In this documentary, friends and loved ones reflect on the band, alongside many of Queen's best-loved hits and rare footage of Mercury with some of his closest confidantes. Also stuff about Bohemian Rhapsody getting the Christmas number 1 twice and their Christmas Eve live TV concert

10pm Tommy Fleming – A Journey Home (VM1)

10pm The Story Of A Fairytale Of New York (BBC4)
    Richard E Grant narrates a look at the making of the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl's classic bittersweet love song. The group return to the studio where the song was recorded, while director Peter Dougherty and actor Matt Dillon discuss the making of the video - which resulted in a brush with the law. With contributions from Jools Holland, Nick Cave and producer Steve Lillywhite
    It’s here in full

10.15pm Fairytale Of New York – The Story Of A Christmas Classic (RTE1)
    Not the same programme that started on BBC4 15 minutes, although it is similar. A look at the making of the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl's classic bittersweet Christmas love song. The documentary looks back at the making of the song in the company of singer Shane MacGowan, and other Pogues sharing their memories include Spider Stacy, Cait O'Riordan and Jem Finer. With contributions from Imelda May, Bob Geldof, Paul Simon and Christy Moore

11pm Bradley Wiggins On Mods (Sky Arts)
    The former cyclist embarks on a scooter ride through the history of the mod movement - a subculture that emerged in the 1960s and birthed a generation of fashion and music lovers. I think Weller is in it.

11.20pm TOTP2 – Christmas 2015 (BBC2)
    Mark Radcliffe gets the festive season under way with a selection of Christmas-themed hits from the show's archive, including performances by Tom Jones and Adele, and yuletide favourites by Wizzard, Slade, Jona Lewie, the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl and Shakin' Stevens. The show also features a recording of Pulp dressed up in winter attire for a rendition of their classic Britpop hit Common People, and a more traditional performance courtesy of Cilla Black

Midnight Quadrophenia – Our Generation (Sky Arts)
    Celebrity fans and cast members come together to shed light on the making of Quadrophenia and explore the legacy that the cult film has left behind, 40 years after its release

1am Great Film Composers – The Music Of The Movies (Sky Arts)
    Part one of two. A look at the soundtracks of the 1960s, including Henry Mancini's work on Breakfast at Tiffany's and Maurice Jarre's score for Lawrence of Arabia

3.30am Danny Baker’s Christmas Hits (Sky Arts)

Friday
    12pm Music Icons – The Yardbirds (Sky Arts)
    12.30pm Discovering Music – The Monkees (Sky Arts)

1pm Johnny Cash Song By Song – Sunday Mornin Comin Down (Sky Arts)
    1.30pm Dolly Parton Song By Song – 9 To 5 (Sky Arts)

7pm A Kylie Christmas (Sky Arts)
    Concert

8pm TOTP Christmas Day 1988 (BBC4)
    Pet Shop Boys and Enya feature among the top hits and videos from 1988, while Cliff Richard sings Mistletoe and Wine, that year's Christmas Number one. Introduced by Bruno Brookes, Gary Davies and Anthea Turner

8.30pm Val Doonican – An Fear A Shiuil Go Hard (TG4)
    An affectionate yet revealing documentary chronicling the life and career of one of Ireland's most successful musical exports, Val Doonican. During the course of his long and illustrious career, the Waterford crooner released over 50 albums and his TV show ran for 25 years. He had a deceptively easy style and effortlessly tuneful voice. He finally stopped performing in 2009 after more than 60 years in showbusiness, was granted the Freedom of Waterford in 2011 and died in July 2015, aged 88. The programme recounts how the death of his father changed Val's life for ever

9pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – December 22 (BBC4)
    Steve Wright and Nicky Campbell present the edition first broadcast on December 22, featuring the Four Tops, a-ha, Kim Wilde, Shakin' Stevens, Freiheit, Neneh Cherry, Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan, Cliff Richard and Status Quo

9pm Queen – From Rags To Rhapsody (Sky Arts)
    Documentary recalling the rock band's early years, spent struggling gigging at pubs and colleges, and following their progress up to the moment they captured the UK's hearts and minds with what was to become one of the greatest songs of all time - Bohemian Rhapsody. It’s on Youtube with what looks like Russian Subtitles

9.30pm Country Music By Ken Burns (BBC4)
    Final Episode Don't Get Above Your Raisin' (1984-1996) The history of the American art form from the mid-1980s to mid-1990s, an era that saw the success of 'New Traditionalists' such as Reba McEntire, George Strait and Dwight Yoakam. Garth Brooks exploded onto the scene to recalibrate the yardstick of success, while after being dropped from his label, an aging Johnny Cash, at the invitation of a hip-hop producer, returned to the studio with just his guitar and his unforgettable voice to record a series of albums that sold millions of copies and earned him the respect of the industry he helped to create. Contributors include Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill, Willie Nelson, Rosanne Cash, Merle Haggard and Garth Brooks.

10.15pm Queen And Adam Lambert – The Show Must Go On (Sky Arts)
    Probably not in the Top 50 Queen Docs

10.25pm Country Christmas (BBC4)
    Trisha Yearwood hosts and performs during this 10th annual Country Music Association's Christmas special. The event features festive classics, including one-of-a-kind collaborations by artists Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, Runaway June, CeCe Winans, Brett Young and Chris Young. Plus, performances by Kristin Chenoweth, Chris Janson and Tori Kelly

10.50pm Buble (RTE1)
    A Michael Buble Concert

11.10pm Marianne And Leonard – Words Of Love (BBC2)
    The lives of composer Leonard Cohen and his Norwegian muse Marianne Ihlen, whose romance began on the Greek island of Hydra in 1960 as part of a bohemian community of foreign artists, writers, and musicians. This film follows their relationship, from the early days on Hydra, a humble time of 'free love' and open marriage, to how their love evolved when Leonard became a successful musician. I thought this was excellent, and I wouldn’t be the biggest Leonard Cohen fan. Despite the title, it is mostly about him

11.45pm Flatpack Pop – Sweden’s Music Miracle (BBC4)
    James Ballardie charts Sweden's rise as a musical superpower, exploring the unique songwriting formula that inspired some of the biggest hits of the last 30 years. Featuring interviews with producers and artists, including Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake, Ace of Base and Robyn

Midnight Queen Live At Wembley 1986 (Sky Arts)

1.15am Quadrophenia Reunited – 40 Years On (Sky Arts)

1.55am Other Voices (RTE2)
    featuring performances by Little Green Cars, Seamus Fogarty and Tamino

2.45am Pet Shop Boys Live – Inner Sanctum - The Super Tour (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    3pm Johnny Cash Song By Song – Hurt (Sky Arts)
    3.30pm Dolly Parton Song By Song – Travellin’ Thru (Sky Arts)

4pm Gwen Stefani’s You Make It Feel Like Christmas (Sky Arts)
    Concert

4.05pm Not The Robbie Williams Christmas Show (VM1)

5pm It’s Christmas Live From The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    Jason Manford presents a concert with Chrissie Hynde, the Vamps, Holly Johnson, Alexander Armstrong, Melanie C and Ricky Wilson

7pm-11pm Sounds Of The Sixties Marathon (Yesterday)

7pm Michael Buble’s Christmas In Hollywood (Sky Arts)

8pm Kylie: Showgirl – The Greatest Hits Tour (Sky Arts)
    2005 Concert

9.20pm Snow Patrol Live At Ward Park 3 (BBC 2NI)
    2018 Concert

10.15pm Ed Sheeran – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    Concert

10.20pm Freddie Mercury: A Christmas Story (Channel 5)
    This was on last night

10.25pm Robbie Williams: BBC Radio 2 In Concert (BBC2)

11.20pm Harry Styles Live In Manchester (RTE2)

11.30pm David Bowie: Glass Spider Tour (Sky Arts)
    1997 Sydney Concert

11.35pm Film: Behind the Candelabra (BBC2)
    Liberace Biopic starring Matt Damon and Michael Douglas

11.45pm Queen – A Life At The Odeon (Channel 5)
    1975 Christmas Eve Concert

Sunday
    11.45am Funny Girl The Musical (Sky Arts)
    2.15pm Phantom Of The Opera (Sky Arts)
    4.15pm Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Sky One)

Rare outing for this on Sky One

5.05pm Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert (Sky Arts)

7pm-11pm Sounds Of The Seventies Marathon (Yesterday)

8pm Cats The Musical (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)

9.30pm Tommy Fleming Christmas Concert (TG4)

Midnight TOTP2 Christmas 2013 (BBC4)

1.55am Adele Live In London (RTE2)

That's more or less that, there should be Part 1 of the Bumper Christmas listings coming on Sunday-ish

The Best collaboration between Ali G and Gaz Coombes out of Supergrass might be this one (Saturday Comedy Central 11.45pm)

The last time I saw Supergrass was in Dublin's Academy in 2008-ish. Not a large venue by any means, and the stage was too small for the band's backdrop. They played a fine set while anyone unfamiliar with them would wonder who UPERGRAS were, while the first and last S's were cast aside to the side of the stage.

It wasn't sold out but now they have reformed years later and will play two sold out nights in the Olympia in February complete with big stage with lots of room for all their S's. Hurrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Happy Christmas Skid. I'll wait to call ya a ledgebag til the New Year choons. Thanks so much for the listings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Thanks as always skid

Advertisement