Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Stock, Aitken and watered down, man :P

• Registered Users Posts: 71,780 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The Pasadenas with a choo-choo-chooon!

:o:D

Richard Skinner’s mullet!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr9GOKvgdNprkSWoP19toESEpPunSmSudlcndh4SfCYGKT2vxL&s

BOBBY MCFERRIN!

tenor.gif

Wee Rule, we like to swing our pants! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Hair metal was a mad genre, performing metal while dressed like hookers. The early 80s were a fantastic time

Great song by Paul McCartney there.

He could have a great career ahead of him if he plays his cards right. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I never got Liam Gallaghers singing stance

tenor.gif

Sabrina had two things going for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Ha - the opening Tom Jones number was a surprise to me, having only been exposed to the usual suspects!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello Hello, what's going on this week? Well there's a bit of variety with Sky Arts leading with Lynyrd Skynrd, BBC4 rolling out the most recent big Bowie doc and classic Jazz Records, and TG4 starting a run of music from the War of Indepence. Elsewhere there is plenty of Proclaimers and Jools Holland and TG4 is the place to go for music from Mali. And Leitrim ...

Thursday
    2pm Pavarotti – A Voice For The Ages (Sky Arts)
    Compilation of performances

3.15pm Andre Rieu – Live In Dublin (Sky Arts)

7pm BBC Radio 2 Live In Concert – Craig David (BBC Red Button, Repeated on Loop for most of the next Seven Days)

9pm Glor Tire – Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)

11.15pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2, 10pm on other BBC2 regions)
    Ronnie Wood makes his debut on the show, with his Wild Five Band featuring Imelda May on vocals. Scottish chart-topper Lewis Capaldi sings tracks from his album Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent and Oxford rockers Foals make a welcome return to the studio after a busy year. Completing the line-up are singer-songwriter Nilufer Yanya and violinist, singer and songwriter Sudan Archives

11.30pm Joni Mitchell 75 – A Birthday Celebration (Sky Arts)
    A tribute concert from 2018 in which musicians including Rufus Wainwright, Chaka Khan and James Taylor came together to celebrate Joni Mitchell's 75th birthday

Friday
    1.50pm Andrea Bocelli Live In Portofino (Sky Arts)

3.45pm Ludovico Einaudi – Elements Live (Sky Arts)

7pm Classic Albums: Lou Reed – Transformer (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Mastermind (BBC2)
    With someone answering question on the Manic Street Preachers

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – October 20 (BBC4)
    Steve Wright and Caron Keating present the edition first aired on October 20, featuring performances by D Mob featuring Gary Haisman, the Christians, Enya, Deacon Blue, Milli Vanilli, Erasure, Kylie Minogue, Whitney Houston and The Wee Papa Girl Rappers. No late night repeat as BBC4 are showing a run of Peaky Blinders from the start, beginning tonight

8pm A Blackpool Big Band Special – Jools Holland And His Rhythm And Blues Orchestra (BBC4)
    The pianist and presenter of Later leads his orchestra in a concert at Blackpool's Empress Ballroom celebrating the golden age of big band music from the 1930s-50s, with interpretations of standards by the likes of Count Basie, Louis Armstrong and Woody Herman. Highlights include singer-songwriter Rumer's take on Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive, and Marc Almond performing a rendition of Edith Piaf's Hymne a l'amour

8pm Music Icons – Jazz Rock (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons – Soft Rock (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Ceol@Celtic (TG4)
    Celtic Connections, the world's biggest winter music festival, comes to our screens in a series featuring incendiary performances from the best of the festival. Presented by acclaimed musician and music producer Dónal O'Connor, the strand features the familiar and the exotic

9pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – October 27 (BBC4)
    Simon Mayo and Anthea Turner present the edition first aired on October 27, featuring performances by Milli Vanilli, the Art of Noise and Tom Jones, Royal House, Tanita Tikaram, Robert Palmer, Yazz, Deacon Blue, Enya, and the Beatmasters with PP Arnold

8pm The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4/4

9.30pm Blue Note Records – Beyond The Notes (BBC4) New!
    When German-Jewish refugees Alfred Lion and Francis Wolff started Blue Note in 1939 in New York, the duo allowed artists complete freedom and encouraged them to compose new music. Their visionary and uncompromising approach led to releases that not only revolutionized jazz, but also left an indelible imprint on art and music, including hip-hop. This documentary delves behind the scenes to look at the pioneering label that gave voice to some of the finest jazz artists of the 20th and 21st centuries. Featuring rare archival interviews with Blue Note musicians

10.15pm Quadrophenia – Our Generation (Sky Arts)
    Celebrity fans and cast members come together to shed light on the making of Quadrophenia and explore the legacy that the cult film has left behind, 40 years after its release

11pm David Bowie – Finding Fame (BBC4)
    The final part of Francis Whately's trilogy of films on Bowie's life, telling the story of the five years when many of the ideas that would help him become an icon were first born. Starting in 1966, soon after David Jones changed his name to David Bowie, the film traces his interest in everything from Holst and Pinky and Perky to Anthony Newley and Tibetan Buddhism, and how he used all of these influences to create not only Ziggy Stardust, but the material for his entire career

11.15pm The Kinks – Echoes Of A World (Sky Arts)
    The story of 1968 album The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, which failed to chart upon release but went on to become one of the most influential works in rock

11.15pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Longer version of Thursday’s show. Imelda May will be introducing some of the performances, which will be no bother to her as her RTE show was a carbon copy of this one

12.45am The Who Live At Kilburn 1977 (Sky Arts)

1.15am Other Voices (RTE2)
    Following on from the Christmas special, the series returns with music from Dingle, featuring Mahalia, David Keenan, Nahkane and Mango x MathMan. No idea why this is on so late

Saturday
    5pm Live From The Artists Den - Sheryl Crow (Sky Arts)

6pm Carl Perkins And Friends (Sky Arts)
    The rockabilly legend is joined by fellow artists Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr and more for special concert recorded in London in 1985

6.25pm The Hit List (BBC1)
    Rochelle and Marvin Humes return with the vaguely watchable Beat The Intro show

7pm The Doobie Brothers – Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)
    The story of the American group, from their beginnings as a biker band in California in 1970 through to their sustained success, break-ups, reunions and multi-platinum albums
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/doobie-brothers-let-the-music-play/

7pm Tom Jones At The BBC (Yesterday)
    This was on BBC4 last week, I think

7.15pm The Leitrim Equation (TG4)
    Dónal Lunny teams up with Eleanor Shanley, Vincent Woods and fellow Leitrim musicians to deliver a pulsating evocation of Leitrim in word, song and dance. If you search for ‘The Leitrim Equation’ Google claims the Leitrim Equation’s Record Label was ‘Leitrim County Council Records’. In your face, Motown
    https://www.leitrimequation.ie/background

8pm Fleetwood Mac – Don’t Stop (Yesterday)
    Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks reveal the truth behind the successes, failures and relationships that characterised their music and made them one of the most enduring acts in popular music

8.15pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    From Newry

9pm Lynyrd Skynyrd – If I Leave Here Tomorrow (Sky Arts) New!
    The history of the American rock band, who came to define an era with their sound, their drunken and dangerous antics and their controversial use of the rebel flag
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/lynyrd-skynyrds-new-if-i-leave-here-tomorrow-doc-10-things-we-learned-630575/

10.55pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – October 20 (BBC4)

11.10pm Chicago Greatest Hits Live (Sky Arts)
    The American band perform a selection of classic songs including If You Leave Me Now and Beginnings. Filmed in Chicago's historic WTTW TV studio

11.25pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – October 27 (BBC4)

11.55pm The Proclaimers – This Is The Story (BBC4)
    Superfan David Tennant meets Craig and Charlie Reid of Scottish band the Proclaimers, as they discuss the 30 years since their debut album, and a career that has taken them from playing in small pubs and clubs around Scotland to become one of the nation's most iconic bands
    Not on Youtube

12.20am Film: Jimi – All Is By My Side (BBC2)
    Biopic of Jimi Hendrix following the events of 1966, when he left New York to spend a year living in London. The relationships he developed over that time would shape his career as a musician, culminating in his famous appearance at the Monterey Pop Festival. Starring Andre Benjamin, Hayley Atwell and Imogen Poots

2.30am Bad Company Live At Red Rocks 2016 (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    1.05pm Film: Sunshine On Leith (Film4)
    The Proclaimers Musical. Well, I liked it

5.30pm Happy Holidays With Bing And Frank (Sky Arts)
    1957 Christmas Special. It begins

8.30pm Port (TG4)
    From Miltown Malbay, from the Willie Clancy Festival

7pm Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)

8pm Pulp Live From Brixton Academy (Sky Arts)

8.15pm Luke Thomas And The Swing Cats (VM3)

8.30pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)

9pm Distant Sky – Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds Live From Copenhagen 2017 (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Ceol Chogadh Na Saoirse (TG4) New!
    Ep 1 of 4 Exploring the complex relationship Irish people have with songs associated with the Irish War of Independence and how these relationships have changed over time. The first episode shows how the songs which were instrumental in igniting the War of Independence and keeping up morale during some of the darkest days, were subsequently shunned by the newly established Free State Govern
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/11/11/these-are-rebel-songs/

10.30pm Hup (TG4)
    Performances from the Feakle Traditional Music Festival, featuring fiddler Martin Hayes playing alongside guitarist Dennis Cahill. Plus, a rare performance from veteran accordionist Joe Fitzgerald and a comic song from Brian O'Rourke

10.45pm Classic Albums: Lou Reed – Transformer (Sky Arts)

10.55pm The Byrd Who Flew Alone – The Triumphs And Tragedy Of Gene Clark (BBC4)
    A documentary on the enigmatic former Byrds frontman Gene Clark, drawing on interviews with his family, friends and fellow musicians. Since the Missouri-born songwriter's death in 1991 at the age of 46, his songs have been covered by artists ranging from Robert Plant to Yo La Tengo, and he has been hailed as a key influence by generations of musicians - and yet arguably failed to enjoy the success his work deserved

11pm Ceol Agus Dambe I Mali (TG4)
    Musicians Liam Ó Maonlaí and Paddy Keenan travel to Mali to participate alongside African artists including Afel Bocoum and Toumani Diabaté at Festival au Desert, one of the world's most remote music events

2am Lynyrd Skynyrd – If I Leave Here Tomorrow (Sky Arts)

That's more or less that, if you have seen anything else of interest do let us know

One of the biggest film failures ever, Lost Horizon is on RTE2 Saturday at 2.15pm. It is considered one of the worst musicals ever despite having a full soundtrack written by Burt Bacharach, who you would think would be good at that sort of thing. Burt said in his autobiography that the film almost ended his career, destroyed his working partnership with Hal David and cost him a fortune in lawsuits https://www.wbur.org/npr/126386399/story.php

Finally, the Best use of a Juice Newton song in the Opening Credits Of A Marvel Superhero Film Of The Week might be Angel In The Morning as featured in Deadpool (RTE2 Sunday 9pm)

However, viewers are warned that the film does also contain Calendar Girl by Neil Se**ka. There's no need for that

https://ew.com/article/2016/02/14/deadpool-soundtrack-angel-of-the-morning/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Skynyrd documentary is excellent. Really looking forward to the Blue Note one.

Imelda May on Jools right now with Dame Ronnie Wood.

I preferred her old rockabilly curl hairstyle.

giphy.gif

How did they get away with They Call it Ac -iiiiiiid on TOTP ?

Take it off and play a nice wholesome song like Ebeneezer Goode instead.

Say Louis, Say Louis, Say Louis.

skynews-x-factor-louis-walsh_4330476.jpg?20180607212035

Milli Vanilli...such great voices. :pac:

I remember a few years after this Caron Keating presented a show with Mark Kermode, the film reviewer, every day on the old Radio 5

She died from Breast Cancer only 41, sadly

• Advertisement

Kylie singing a song with a french title, I don't know why.

Gotta have a montage...

giphy.gif

I didn't know 'One Moment In Time' was written by Albert Hammond (Senior), who also wrote lots of others including Joe Dolan's biggest hits. He also co-wrote The Air That I Breathe, only for U2 getting in the way he would have knocked himself off number one in 1988 [Edit Er, no as it was He Aint Heavy that got to No 1 in 1988, ah well]

Would I get in trouble for calling Albert the White Nile ?

Milli Vanilli again...I think they’re miming. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Milli Vanilli again...I think they’re miming. :pac:
    Don't forget my number ;)

Ti-car-ram? Ti-ker-rum?

Po-tay-to? Po-tah-to?

Need a thread poll :D

Imagine the Plastic Population sitting at home watching this, even Pete Best lasted longer before being given the boot.

Most sunglasses ever on a TOTP performance, Tom and friends

Tracy Ullman sang a song called Sunglasses, with nobody wearing sunglasses.

Amateurs!

• Advertisement

Feel as if I should be driving around the M25 looking for an illegal rave.

Nah, I’ll just watch the LLS. :(

Advertisement