Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail fine

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I can't remember is it a fine or standard fare?
    Where the standard fare would be the true cost of a ticket and in the normal course of doing things what you actually pay is a discounted standard fare. If you break the rules you waive the right to this discount. Relatively minor point but if it's a standard fare then I can't see the reasoning by paying the balance on the missed ticket in addition to the standard fare.

Have the rules changed since I last looked at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

€200 is absolutely insane for a first time offence. It's typical of this country to deal with a problem like fare evasion by just cranking up the fines rather than investing in more inspectors. People can actually make genuine mistakes, and I imagine the likely consequence is those not making genuine mistakes being better prepared with false names and addresses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

TheChizler wrote: »
    I can't remember is it a fine or standard fare?
    Where the standard fare would be the true cost of a ticket and in the normal course of doing things what you actually pay is a discounted standard fare. If you break the rules you waive the right to this discount. Relatively minor point but if it's a standard fare then I can't see the reasoning by paying the balance on the missed ticket in addition to the standard fare.

Have the rules changed since I last looked at it?

Standard fare for Irish rail is 100euro + the cost of the ticket.

In the short hop zone it use to be just 50euro and then went up depending on how long you delayed paying it.

Advertisement