Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail fine

Options
  • 12-01-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Passenger stopped and asked to produce valid ID to cover the ticket they were traveling on (Under 15 ticket)

Ticket inspector told passenger 100 euro fine + balance of fare as he did not believe the passenger. For giving possible false information and not producing ID he could increase the fine to 200 euro but would let him away with the 100 euro fine
    Is that correct?
    Curious to know the answer to that, is it anywhere on Irish rails website, I can’t find it.

100 euro fine fair enough,but to say 200 euro if found not telling the truth? Was that scare mongering by the ticket inspector ?
    This legit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Passenger stopped and asked to produce valid ID to cover the ticket they were traveling on (Under 15 ticket)

Ticket inspector told passenger 100 euro fine + balance of fare as he did not believe the passenger. For giving possible false information and not producing ID he could increase the fine to 200 euro but would let him away with the 100 euro fine
    Is that correct?
    Curious to know the answer to that, is it anywhere on Irish rails website, I can’t find it.

100 euro fine fair enough,that will be paid but to say 200 euro if found not telling the truth? Was that scare mongering by the ticket inspector ?b
    This legit?

Irish Rail's largely recent implementation of a Zero Tolerance,Fare Evasion protocol was described by many as draconian and the rest of it.

However,it has meant that more customers are now aware that they could be checked.....http://www.snclavalin-railandtransit.com/en-int/case-studies/irish-rail-revenue-protection
    The Transport Advisory team recruited and briefed the survey team to implement our approach and discovered that the evasion rate was four-fold than estimated by IÉ.

Hmmmmm,that must have presented IR Management with a bit of difficulty ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

What kind of ID would a person under 15 be carrying? If they were on their own I can see why the inspector might have doubts but still I don't see how a 14 year old could prove their age unless they carry their birth certificate around.

I am going to assume the inspector had very strong doubts, you wouldn't think they would lean too hard on someone who looked likely to be that young. Still though, if the person is say, 16, the inspector shouldn't really be in a position where they can threaten or intimidate a minor over a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It's under 16 and if you feel you was wrongly fined then appeal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It's under 16 and if you feel you was wrongly fined then appeal it.

Yes, gonna appeal it alright.

Part of the appeal I want to find out if the inspector had a right to possibly scare a minor by telling him he could increase the fine to 200 euro if not telling the truth

That can’t be legit surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Part of the appeal I want to find out if the inspector had a right to possibly scare a minor by telling him he could increase the fine to 200 euro if not telling the truth

and lying is legit?

If you have no ID they usually ask to call somebody and catch them out that way. You cannot prove the inspector said anything about increasing the fine so appealing on the basis is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Legally if they catch someone under 16 without a ticket they can't issue a fine or throw him off.

Anyway not valid ground for appeal if they were over 15 without a ticket

I don't think you are easily scared somehow and especially that they weren't expecting you to pay up there and then.
    Should have just let them add on as much as they wanted as you are appealing it anyway and if they fined you over the legal amount then it should go in your favour.
    Did you have the correct ticket for your journey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Of course he can. Their fixed penalty notices also include
    A Fixed Payment Notice can be issued for failing or refusing to give your name or address to an authorised officer or giving a name or address which is false or mislead

Another €100 for that.

Of course he can. Their fixed penalty notices also include

Another €100 for that.

Thanks for that , would you have a link for that information please?

It’s not me who got the fine, I wish it was , that would have me as a teenager again, wishful thinking .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It’s not me who got the fine, I wish it was , that would have me as a teenager again, wishful thinking .

No, look it up like I just did. Irish Rail FAQ and search for info on fines. The link won't change the facts though.

• Advertisement

No, look it up like I just did. Irish Rail FAQ and search for info on fines. The link won't change the facts though.

Cool, will do, thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the info.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

100 euro fine fair enough,but to say 200 euro if found not telling the truth? Was that scare mongering by the ticket inspector ?
    This legit?
    why would a punitive fine not punish further evasive behaviour? if it didn't, it'd just be an incentive to bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Legit enough....

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/act/31/section/132/enacted/en/html#sec132
    132.—(1) Every passenger of a railway undertaking shall, on request by an officer or employee of a railway undertaking, produce, and if so requested, deliver up to the officer or employee a ticket showing that his or her fare is paid and, if the fare has not been paid, shall upon request—

(a) pay, to the officer or employee—

(i) his or her fare from the place where he or she started the journey by railway, or

(ii) such other fare for non-payment of a fare as fixed by the undertaking,

as the officer or employee decides,
    or

(b) give the officer or employee his or her name and address.

(2) A passenger who fails—

(a) to comply with a request under subsection (1) to deliver up a ticket,

(b) to pay the fare required under subsection (1)(a), or

(c) to give his or her name and address, if requested under subsection (1)(b),

is guilty of an offence.

Scary stuff indeed,and well worth a trip to the Courts to validate ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Who was fined, if not you? :)

Who was fined, if not you? :)

A family members young lad ,was our topic of debate and discussion Friday afternoon.

A family members young lad ,was our topic of debate and discussion Friday afternoon.

Had they a valid ticket to cover their journey that they were entitled to use, yes or no?

Had they a valid ticket to cover their journey that they were entitled to use, yes or no?

Yes, but no ID to prove it , so bang to rights there it seems .
    The debate we were having is if the inspector could tell them that they could increase the fine to 200 .

Will pass on all the info, cheers folks for all the replies and input

Yes, but no ID to prove it , so bang to rights there it seems .
    The debate we were having is if the inspector could tell them that they could increase the fine to 200 .

Will pass on all the info, cheers folks for all the replies and input

In general, it is up to the passenger to prove their age if they are underage. I used to get challenged on buses a lot as a kid as i looked a lot more than 15. The solution back then was a special CIE ID that said I was under 16; Apparently you can still get them if you read the link below; I am sure that Irish Rail will accept it as well.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Fares-and-Tickets/Child/

As a general thing it may help their case if they travel regularly to use an underage Leapcard.

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types#ticketTypes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What kind of ID would a person under 15 be carrying? If they were on their own I can see why the inspector might have doubts but still I don't see how a 14 year old could prove their age unless they carry their birth certificate around.

I am going to assume the inspector had very strong doubts, you wouldn't think they would lean too hard on someone who looked likely to be that young. Still though, if the person is say, 16, the inspector shouldn't really be in a position where they can threaten or intimidate a minor over a ticket.

My daughter travelled on a local train service regularly when she was 14,15 and always brought her passport and BC in case she was queried.

In general, it is up to the passenger to prove their age if they are underage. I used to get challenged on buses a lot as a kid as i looked a lot more than 15. The solution back then was a special CIE ID that said I was under 16; Apparently you can still get them if you read the link below; I am sure that Irish Rail will accept it as well.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Fares-and-Tickets/Child/

As a general thing it may help their case if they travel regularly to use an underage Leapcard.

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types#ticketTypes

Good information, thank you for that and the links, very helpful, will pass on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

The person can spare themselves this hassle in future by getting a CHILD Leap card surely? A personalized one?

As to the appeal if you have proof in the form of ID scan it in with the appeal and the appeal will be approved - simples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    The person can spare themselves this hassle in future by getting a CHILD Leap card surely? A personalized one?

As to the appeal if you have proof in the form of ID scan it in with the appeal and the appeal will be approved - simples.

There's age requirements for it. It's for from 16. They'll only let you get it at 15 in the run-up to your birthday. But if ops relative had a ticket, it's more likely they were making a journey not covered by leap. The leap card can't be used as a means of identification, nor for determining the age of someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What punishment could a 15 year old get if convicted of not having proof of age while having the correct toicket for their journey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hunter321

Hope its Ok to jump on this thread, I think its kind of related. My daughter started back to college this week and only realised when she went to scan her leap card that the card had expired. Not having enough cash for the full fare she paid a child fare. As soon as she went through the barrier she was stopped by the inspector and fined 200 euro. So I realise that she made a stupid mistake and has to face the consequences, but 200 euro. I couldn't find any reference to a 200 euro fine on Irish Rail web site. She was asked for ID and produced it, so didn't try to give false name. I'm at a loss to understand how it can be so much. 100 fair enough. Anyone else been hit with this fine?

Hunter321 wrote: »
    Hope its Ok to jump on this thread, I think its kind of related. My daughter started back to college this week and only realised when she went to scan her leap card that the card had expired. Not having enough cash for the full fare she paid a child fare. As soon as she went through the barrier she was stopped by the inspector and fined 200 euro. So I realise that she made a stupid mistake and has to face the consequences, but 200 euro. I couldn't find any reference to a 200 euro fine on Irish Rail web site. She was asked for ID and produced it, so didn't try to give false name. I'm at a loss to understand how it can be so much. 100 fair enough. Anyone else been hit with this fine?

It's €100 plus your fare per incidence. The ticket that was issued to her should break down what she was stopped and penalised for. Traveling on a child's ticket would be one on it's own.

Hunter321 wrote: »

€200 seems a bit high alright if she gave a proper name at the first time of asking.

It's €100 plus your fare per incidence. The ticket that was issued to her should break down what she was stopped and penalised for. Traveling on a child's ticket would be one on it's own.

I don't think it does, from the brief instances I've seen the fines it just has the amount on it.

• Advertisement

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I don't think it does, from the brief instances I've seen the fines it just has the amount on it.

Apologies man. I had seen one once and it noted why it was issued, hence my comment :)

Advertisement