Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing 92 vs Munster, Sun 14th January, 3:15pm Sky Sports Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Let the win out of their hands really. The try from the line out was the killer. Then again there was no real control at all so couldn’t expect it to suddenly be exerted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Munster
    Munsters PD is +9 I think on La Rochelle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Tiernan O'Halloran
    Had them on the ropes and let them off. Should have went to the corner for all 3 pens Murray took

Munster are not a smart team any more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Had them on the ropes and let them off. Should have went to the corner for all 3 pens Murray took

Have to agree with this, even if one resulted in three points. Munster looked like they could score at will with a few phases put together, but they chose to try and take three from long long range? Down the line and trust yourselves. They apparently didn't.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,238 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Munster
    Racing fans must have been looking at that game and thinking they bought the wrong munster winger.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Earls was superb in some ways but one of his old faults showed up again. The offload to Murray if done better was a try and game over.

With Keatley at 10 Munster will always be a little bit inconsistent.

Nice stadium for Racing. Future model for Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Tiernan O'Halloran
    Any hope of Tyler being back and fit for quarter finals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Great stadium great game!
    Both teams had chances to win it/ can’t believe they (R92) didn’t go for the 4th try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Boscoirl wrote: »

Munster are not a smart team any more

That's what you get from flooding the set-up with South Africans.

Sure they're cheap and big and beefy and would run through a brick wall for you if the cheque was big enough, but they've never been renowned for their smarts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Owta Control

Tiernan O'Halloran
    Turnipman wrote: »
    That's what you get from flooding the set-up with South Africans.

Sure they're cheap and big and beefy and would run through a brick wall for you if the cheque was big enough, but they've never been renowned for their smarts!

Not the only ones it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Tiernan O'Halloran
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    So need to beat castre with a tbp next week to top the pool

Normal win would do. We have better pd in the matches vs Racing

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Really should have picked up a win there. 2 poor exits gifted them 10 points. It's a recurring theme in the last few weeks. We always seem to be coughing up points from restarts.

Couldn't believe Racing didn't go for the corner with the last penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

For those saying great stadium, anyone else think the atmosphere was pretty crap? Think indoor affairs are always weirdly muted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

For those saying great stadium, anyone else think the atmosphere was pretty crap? Think indoor affairs are always weirdly muted

I was alone in the middle of R92 fans- had the craic

Tiernan O'Halloran
    That was a game Munster should have won. They left one or two tries out there and the discipline wasn't good enough.

Looking at the tables a home QF isn't likely. Dammit.

Edit: May depend on head to head with LAR. If Ulster get a BP win it's gone.

Scarlets tight win vs Toulon would put them on 17 + 4 = 21. PD of 36 currently. Munster's 35 so potentially Munster could sneak it on points difference

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Earls was superb in some ways but one of his old faults showed up again. The offload to Murray if done better was a try and game over.

With Keatley at 10 Munster will always be a little bit inconsistent.

Nice stadium for Racing. Future model for Connacht?

There wasn’t much sympathy on Earl’s pass but Murray should’ve caught that, 100%.

Earls cemented his starting spot for Ireland today, if it was ever under question that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Even forgetting that clearance kick at the end- Keats' hesitancy (politest way of describing it) in competing for that restart with Ryan/before Ryan could get there was unforgivable.
    Put your body on the line FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Even forgetting that clearance kick at the end- Keats' hesitancy (politest way of describing it) in competing for that restart with Ryan/before Ryan could get there was unforgivable.
    Put your body on the line FFS
    Unforgivable, or understandable given that he had poured his heart into the game for 77 minutes up to that point, in a warm humid unfamiliar environment

Keatley was everywhere for most of that game, he had an excellent game up to that point and it looked like he was exhausted at the end.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Scarlets tight win vs Toulon would put them on 17 + 4 = 21. PD of 36 currently. Munster's 35 so potentially Munster could sneak it on points difference

I still think that Toulon will beat Scarlets next weekend which will throw another spanner into the works of all these QF permutations

If Munster fail to get a home QF it will make the QF much more difficult obviously, but if we were to come through that, we would be guaranteed a 'home' (nation) SF which, if our ambition is to win the tournament might not be the worst trade-off in the world, (as long as we didn't end up facing Leinster in the Aviva)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Akrasia wrote: »
    I still think that Toulon will beat Scarlets next weekend which will throw another spanner into the works of all these QF permutations
    Assuming Munster beat Castres with a TBP then..

If toulon beat Scarlets
    and
    Ulster get a TBP at wasps

Then Munster head to Belfast for the qf.

Winner would then possibly play Leinster in Dublin.

Munster v Ulster or Ulster v Munster QF is possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I can't see it happening. They're typically French on the road and far weaker this season than in previous. Bath beat them in Bath and Toulon won 30-29 in Treviso thanks to an 80th minute penalty. Not too relevant but they're also one win from seven on the road in the T14.

They'll also be losing Bastareaud for the game, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I enjoyed the game and the indoor atmosphere, at least I didn't freeze my nuts off.
    27922607759_a928396290.jpg
    27922607719_37b2f9748f.jpg
    27922606149_c04bcc21f3.jpg
    When he came off after 10 minutes second half, he literally collapsed on the first sideline bench that he reached, he didn't get to his assigned seat which was about 5 meters further. I was quite surprised that they didn't bring him oxygen.

Tiernan O'Halloran
    If Munster fail to get a home QF it will make the QF much more difficult obviously, but if we were to come through that, we would be guaranteed a 'home' (nation) SF which, if our ambition is to win the tournament might not be the worst trade-off in the world, (as long as we didn't end up facing Leinster in the Aviva)

As in if Munster were ranked 5th pool winner? Think we would face Leinster then? They have 1st seed nailed down. Winner of 1 v 8 plays 4 v 5. It 1st and 5th win its Aviva .

Tiernan O'Halloran
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Assuming Munster beat Castres with a TBP then..

If toulon beat Scarlets
    and
    Ulster get a TBP at wasps

Then Munster head to Belfast for the qf.

Winner would then possibly play Leinster in Dublin.

Munster v Ulster or Ulster v Munster QF is possibility

I've mixed feelings on this. Guarantee an Irish team in semi. And very likely an Irish team in final assuming Leinster are 1st and win their qf. But then Irish teams knock each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Earls' try included in Try of the Round nominations: https://www.facebook.com/EuropeanRugbyChampionsCup/videos/1578403148881828/

Feel that had Conway passed to Earls or had his pass to Murray stuck we might have other noms! And now I've upset myself with memories of missed opportunities again.

Before the game, a LBP seemed like a good outcome, but can't help but feel we left points behind. Worried about discipline (only so many times you can say "we've talked about it and stressed how important it is not to give a team of this quality those chances) and not being clinical enough - other teams would def finish some of the chances we create. Stress levels may be quite high - Conway's outburst recently and POM's this week.

As for the kicks to goal versus touch, had one more gone over we'd have been saying it was the right call. And if you can ping from halfway, you put that thought in other team's head. Indoors with no wind; it was obviously practiced. Unfortunate that it only came off once.

🤪

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Earls' try included in Try of the Round nominations: https://www.facebook.com/EuropeanRugbyChampionsCup/videos/1578403148881828/

Feel that had Conway passed to Earls or had his pass to Murray stuck we might have other noms! And now I've upset myself with memories of missed opportunities again.

Before the game, a LBP seemed like a good outcome, but can't help but feel we left points behind. Worried about discipline (only so many times you can say "we've talked about it and stressed how important it is not to give a team of this quality those chances) and not being clinical enough - other teams would def finish some of the chances we create. Stress levels may be quite high - Conway's outburst recently and POM's this week.

As for the kicks to goal versus touch, had one more gone over we'd have been saying it was the right call. And if you can ping from halfway, you put that thought in other team's head. Indoors with no wind; it was obviously practiced. Unfortunate that it only came off once.

Had one more gone over we'd still have lost by a point......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sorry, blanked out the last few mins from memory.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes but the moral victory!

Advertisement