Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for the boys of AH. (Chapettes also welcome)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In a rush to make everything pc non pc people have just started using Mac's, even iPads .

Frankly it's getting ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nothing has changed really. You can ask a girl out no bother but dont send an unsolicited picture of your genitals. Same as it was in Jane Austins time.

Steve Austin's sister?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Steve Austin's sister.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

cantdecide wrote: »
    One day I accidentally used the word c*** (lightheartedly referring to myself - "now he thinks I'm a c***) in a one to one conversation with a female colleague. It just kind of slipped out. The bloody histrionics and arms flailing. I literally thought I was facing disciplinary. It was a horrible feeling.
    I'm from rural Ireland.
    That word was always used harmlessly round these parts by farmer folk.
    Eg. I've had a c**t of a day.
    It was part of the country vernacular and no one took offence to it. I still don't and sometimes if I'm in a really bad mood and someone gets under my skin, I'll refer to them (male or female) as a f**king c**t but not to their face mind!

To thine own self be true

What?

My mistake, presume the poster meant the author.

Of such titles as Betty Alden: The First Born Daughter of the Pilgrims and Dora Darling: The Daughter of the Regiment. Classics I've no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

All this worry comes from taking rubbish they see on the net too seriously.

99.9% of women I know and have met in real life aren't hysterical like a lot of the fruit loops you see online, same as 99% of the men a woman will encounter are grand compared to the rapist around every corner the media and social media regurgitate

Now I'm putting aside the genuine stuff about Weinstein that came out. But places like Twitter are an annual AGM for the nut cases and oddballs of every town and village the world over.

There's only a small amount of them and most people will hardly ever encounter one in real life but when they can all come together on such an easy to access platform the minority make so much noise you'd think it was mainstream. You get papers making articles out of such using the posts of only a couple dozen people the world over and making it look like an epidemic

cantdecide wrote: »
    One day I accidentally used the word c*** (lightheartedly referring to myself - "now he thinks I'm a c***) in a one to one conversation with a female colleague. It just kind of slipped out. The bloody histrionics and arms flailing. I literally thought I was facing disciplinary. It was a horrible feeling.

**** has always been as casual a swear word here in Ireland and across the pond in the UK as saying feck, fcuk, etc and I've heard and used it to refer to men and women in equal amounts

Americans for some reason seem to think your after pulling on your KKK robes in a black neighborhood when you say it tho, I don't know what the story is.

Even worse, an Irish person who watches too much American TV or spends a few months there getting all hauty despite hearing it all their life here

C*nt is absolutely one of the most satisfying words to say.

Your a ****, I'm a ****, we're all *****!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The Aussies are masterful with the word.
    **** has always been as casual a swear word here in Ireland

Well after a rocky beginning, we got to know each other quite well and you'll never guess what - under it all she was ... an uptight, insecure, treacherous, perma-ffended munchkin. I get a shiver down my spine thinking about her. You might even say my faux pas wasn't the only c*** in my story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Meh time for lads in this age of equality to sit back and let the ladies do some of the grunt work...

My mistake, presume the poster meant the author.

Of such titles as Betty Alden: The First Born Daughter of the Pilgrims and Dora Darling: The Daughter of the Regiment. Classics I've no doubt.

tenor.gif?itemid=5414360

and that's the bottom line.........

He's only the 2nd best Steve Austin.

tumblr_ok22umysu71qmob6ro1_400.gif

He's only the 2nd best Steve Austin.

Needs the sound effect :D

sZU6_SiLJnRnkj2LsIURHiqnx0A=.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

To be honest, I go for uninhibited, extroverted, filthy-minded-and-proud-of-it types to begin with

Well I'll tell you one thing for nothing - ya didn't lick that off a stone.

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree

Like father like son so they say

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Well I'll tell you one thing for nothing - ya didn't lick that off a stone.

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree

Like father like son so they say

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Your username makes this absolutely perfect :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Chapette, I like that word.

Is it similar to ladette? Women who drink pints of lager, smoke rollies and curse like sailors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Chapette, I like that word.

Is it similar to ladette? Women who drink pints of lager, smoke rollies and curse like sailors.

Wouldn't "Chapette" be the opposite then - men who go to bottomless prosecco brunches, watch Gossip Girl and Made In Chelsea, and take hundreds of selfies in the jacks on nights out? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Presumably by compliment, you mean complimenting a woman's appearance. Why would anybody feel the need to do that in the workplace unless they're creeping on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Presumably by compliment, you mean complimenting a woman's appearance. Why would anybody feel the need to do that in the workplace unless they're creeping on them?

Exactly, ask them out on a date or for a coffee and if she accepts then on the date it is appropriate to compliment her, but it's not really appropriate in the office unless it's new haircut etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Surely complimenting someone isn't always creeping on them? My straight female work colleagues often complimented each other's appearance. I've usually worked with women but I assume it would be in a similar innocuous way with men, mostly anyway aside from the odd creeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Surely complimenting someone isn't always creeping on them? My straight female work colleagues often complimented each other's appearance. I've usually worked with women but I assume it would be in a similar innocuous way with men, mostly anyway aside from the odd creeper!

Fair enough it might not always be intentionally flirtatious but why take the risk of it being perceived as such in your work environment?

Obviously I'm talking about general situations (as presumably befits the scenario in the OP). and I'm sure there's exceptions, like colleagues that know each other well and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Just grab them by the pussy and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We had diversity and inclusion training where they told us holding the door for women and using phrases like "ladies first" should be avoided as it could be deemed derogatory and sexist. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Well hasn't my wrist been slapped hard!

For what it's worth, the lads (is that offensive now?)I mentioned earlier include married with children, single, seeking, divorced and the rest.

They're not neanderthals and their knuckles don't scrape along the ground as they attempt to walk upright. But being bombarded with what is now considered offensive or misogynistic, they are curious..and yes, concerned about what is and is not allowed.

Sorry for assuming AH was the place to ask the questions. Jaysus knows, I don't want to offend anybody.

Mods, if I've triggered a bad reaction, please remove my offensive post. Thanks.

I actually think this sort of thing is happening more often than people actually getting offended...

*Says something wrong* *Gets politely corrected* "People are sooo triggered these days, can't say anything, PC gone mad, *insert other term*, blah blah blah"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Yeah I get compliments in work from both male and female colleagues and I never once considered it creepy, it's a normal nice thing to do. I would also compliment people if they looked nice or were wearing new clothes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

neonsofa wrote: »
    Yeah I get compliments in work from both male and female colleagues and I never once considered it creepy, it's a normal nice thing to do. I would also compliment people if they looked nice or were wearing new clothes etc.

There's a world of difference between:

"Jaysis, Neonsofa, I like the suit, is it new?"

and

"Jaysis, Neonsofa, that suit does wonders for your arse."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

So it just doesn't bother me, apart from finding it utterly ridiculous how our society makes sexuality into such a monstrously big deal that so many people feel they have to tiptoe around instead of being overt about it.

+1. Ridiculous carry on. Too many mind games. I like when people are direct and upfront about how they feel, but I suppose it can be difficult to express an interest in someone without coming across too forward. Americans are better at this, ditto Eastern Europeans. Sometimes it seems that interaction between the sexes in Ireland is tinged with suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

There's a world of difference between:

"Jaysis, Neonsofa, I like the suit, is it new?"

and

"Jaysis, Neonsofa, that suit does wonders for your arse."

Exactly. Anybody who says the second one has to be aware that it could be considered creepy. But compliments generally aren't creepy.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    We had diversity and inclusion training where they told us holding the door for women and using phrases like "ladies first" should be avoided as it could be deemed derogatory and sexist. Crazy stuff.

Hm.. and didn't anyone point out the blindingly obvious that you are not holding the door open for women but rather just for whoever is behind you?

Advertisement