Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for the boys of AH. (Chapettes also welcome)

Options
  • 12-01-2018 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

My husband and I (always wanted to say that :pac:) have just had a long chat about the PC world in which we live. Now I would love to get the opinions of the good folks of AH.

In hubby's workplace today the lads were chatting, and all agreed that they now have no idea how to behave in the company of women. They feel they can't compliment a woman, they're wary of using a word that is now considered inappropriate. How do they approach a woman to ask them for a date? What words can you use without offending?

Honestly, it saddened me that we've come to this. But AH folks, please give your opinion...and be honest.

One warning! If you ask for my opinion, you might be sorry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I didn’t read all your post, but I wouldn’t recommend PC World. They tend to be overpriced. I tend to buy most of my kit online. Amazon have free delivery and a great returns policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

what age are these guys and where are they socializing? There are a lot of variables to consider here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

stimpson wrote: »
    I didn’t read all your post, but I wouldn’t recommend PC World. They tend to be overpriced. I tend to buy most of my kit online. Amazon have free delivery and a great returns policy.

Where in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Curly Pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

"One warning! If you ask for my opinion, you might be sorry. "

OH GOD PLEEEEEEEASE TELL US YOUR OPINION. THE SUSPENSE IS KILLLLLLLLLING ME

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Until recently, I used to think getting one's legal people to approach, through an intermediary, a woman's legal team, for exploratory talks about terms and conditions for a possible discussion about going on a date, was a reasonably non offensive way to show interest in a woman and explore possible reciprocal interest.

No longer. I have realised that this is gross harassment and offensive to women, and regret my former behaviour.
    The days of men and women going on dates or having relationships of any sort are a thing of the past now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OP when you said the PC world in which you live, I thought this thread was going to be something along the lines of how some men are so taken up with technology they don't know how to talk to women any more. Then I copped - Political Correctness! :pac:

Nah, I'd say they're exaggerating the problem tbh. A lot of people I know now both guys and girls are just taking the piss out of the metoo hashtag thing, couldn't give a damn about what happens in Hollywood, and are just as easily able to chat, flirt, have a laugh with each other as much now as they ever did before.

Tell your husband and his mates not to be behaving like Chicken Lickens :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

My husband and I (always wanted to say that :pac:) have just had a long chat about the PC world in which we live. Now I would love to get the opinions of the good folks of AH.

In hubby's workplace today the lads were chatting, and all agreed that they now have no idea how to behave in the company of women. They feel they can't compliment a woman, they're wary of using a word that is now considered inappropriate. How do they approach a woman to ask them for a date? What words can you use without offending?

Honestly, it saddened me that we've come to this. But AH folks, please give your opinion...and be honest.

Have a consent form printed out and a notary at hand.

That should do the trick.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

First I thought this post was about PC world the shop and then I thought it was about everyone being stuck on their computers all the time and how the internet rules the world (pc world). And that led me to think you were talking about men that had bad social skills with women due to the fact that they are on their computers all the time.

Didn’t occur to me that you meant politically correct until I read the responses. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

One day I accidentally used the word c*** (lightheartedly referring to myself - "now he thinks I'm a c***) in a one to one conversation with a female colleague. It just kind of slipped out. The bloody histrionics and arms flailing. I literally thought I was facing disciplinary. It was a horrible feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Those men are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

cantdecide wrote: »
    One day I accidentally used the word c*** (lightheartedly referring to myself - "now he thinks I'm a c***) in a one to one conversation with a female colleague. It just kind of slipped out. The bloody histrionics and arms flailing. I literally thought I was facing disciplinary. It was a horrible feeling.
    Saying c*** is one thing, letting "it" slip out is quite another. Zip up your fly next time.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Ladies first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Here's silver tongued devil Serge Gainsbourg demonstrating how to talk to the fairer sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There is literally no way of asking a lady out without threading on the thin ice of offense. Leave them be, not worth the hassle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

They are overthinking things. Use basic rules of etiquette, as you would in all human interactions and there wont be any problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is your husband a primary school teacher?

No Idea... but TBH I'll likely behave the way I've always behaved. It's not as if I've suddenly turned into a rapist, or slobbering sexist since the PC brigade took over. I will admit I'm hesitant about dating since I returned to Ireland, but I've never been much into dating here, so no big change there either... :D

I have a friend who swears by the plain and simple "would you like to f**k?" . Sure it gets the odd severe rebuke, but he lets them know his intentions straight away, it's neither cajoling them not cornering them, it's direct and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

cantdecide wrote: »

Artists impression

1c8.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh all the PC stuff on the news can be quite annoying but the reality is if you're a guy trying to get a girl as long as you're polite and not over bearing then she'll more than likely be polite back even if she's not interested.
    No matter how much harvey weinstein is on TV being accused nothings ever going to happen you for politely asking a girl for a drink or whatever it may be

Artists impression

1c8.gif

Yup. That was pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Honestly, it saddened me that we've come to this..

Hee Haww cried Bob the ****ing the donkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Well hasn't my wrist been slapped hard!

For what it's worth, the lads (is that offensive now?)I mentioned earlier include married with children, single, seeking, divorced and the rest.

They're not neanderthals and their knuckles don't scrape along the ground as they attempt to walk upright. But being bombarded with what is now considered offensive or misogynistic, they are curious..and yes, concerned about what is and is not allowed.

Sorry for assuming AH was the place to ask the questions. Jaysus knows, I don't want to offend anybody.

Mods, if I've triggered a bad reaction, please remove my offensive post. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Approach a group of ladies and say "hey ladies, anyone DTF?"

:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

But being bombarded with what is now considered offensive or misogynistic, they are curious..and yes, concerned about what is and is not allowed.

Nothing has changed really. You can ask a girl out no bother but dont send an unsolicited picture of your genitals. Same as it was in Jane Austins time.

Everyone should just go on as usual and stop worrying about what is and isn't considered PC, because most of it is manufactured by the few to worry the many.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If you see a lady with nice tits then you really should say something, "Nice tits", actually, maybe use the word breast in case tits offends her, if she can't take the compliment then it's her who has the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

To be honest, I go for uninhibited, extroverted, filthy-minded-and-proud-of-it types to begin with, so if someone is the type to get offended rather than firing back with something cheeky she's just not the woman for me anyway. So it just doesn't bother me, apart from finding it utterly ridiculous how our society makes sexuality into such a monstrously big deal that so many people feel they have to tiptoe around instead of being overt about it. I'm into the type who refuses to do that to begin with, so it's not ultimately going to have much impact on my own life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Swipe right

Advertisement