Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Because logic. Anyone who is a billionaire and wins the Presidency of the US is far from stupid. He talks like a eejit but he's far from it.

All I can do is look at where I am in life, I think I'm above average intelligence but there's no way in my lifetime I'll achieve 1% of what he has.

I agree with your sentiment for the most part - he's not a good speaker. In the final 2 months or so of his campaign he stuck to the script and it really worked well for him. Off script he's capable of saying anything which is hugely polarizing - that's why people support him. He hits back hard too when he gets attacked.

In my lifetime I will never get the head start he got in life.

He is good car salesman. One of the best to be fair - he is talented in this regard and he won the white house partially due to this skill. At leading a country he is sadly lacking.

He has no idea about specific policy details (see all the detail he went into about the health care bill or any other recent bill - he just signs the paper put in front of him and makes vague requests of his party). He does not know how various US institutions work. He struggles with the day to day updates. With how major allies make trade deals (see the EU). He makes announcements based off whatever the news has focused on recently. He is, an idiot. He is not the first dumb leader of a large country (or indeed the US) but he is most certainly an idiot.

Saying he is smart because he is the president is illogical. One does not follow the other. I have no idea why people think that becoming president means you are intelligent automatically. You say because logic but your statement has no logic in it. Plenty of business men are dumb. Plenty of politicians are dumb.

You want to achieve what Trump has then the most important attributes are confidence, a great salesman's ability to keep speaking and make up stuff and a very large interest free loan. Intelligence would have helped but was not vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Because logic. Anyone who is a billionaire and wins the Presidency of the US is far from stupid. He talks like a eejit but he's far from it.

All I can do is look at where I am in life, I think I'm above average intelligence but there's no way in my lifetime I'll achieve 1% of what he has.

I agree with your sentiment for the most part - he's not a good speaker. In the final 2 months or so of his campaign he stuck to the script and it really worked well for him. Off script he's capable of saying anything which is hugely polarizing - that's why people fiercely support him. A lot of it has to do with the media honestly tapping people like Comey and Clapper as saints and Trump as Satin when real people see through it. They're the same as Trump, he's just far worse at hiding it.

Couple of things.

As much as i dont know you, i think you're doing yourself a disservice.

He was born into a property empire.
    He is NOT a self made man.
    Even then, he has managed to fkkk things up -5 bankrupcies to his name.
    3 divorces... well, 2 so far and no doubt in time another one on the way.

I am willing to bet that if you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, I'd wager you would do a hell of a better job of it than this clown.

"Logic" as you would say.

Even if you were to argue that he has achieved a lot, he has dozens of court cases outstanding and by all accounts, is up to his neck in controversy. He has not gotten to where he is without cutting corners and screwing people over. He will get his comeuppance. That is a fact and he knows it. He will go down as the most incompetent president of all time. Like it or not - that is true.

Now i get some people like a maverick, people who liked Nixon or Reagan did - but without guile, he is simply a buffoon.

And as for him sticking on script and it working well for him, again - I'm sure you could manage that just as well!

Seriously mate - don't put yourself down - think better of yourself than looking up to this idiot... and he is an idiot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,168 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

2 Scoops will be taking a few days off.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,168 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If you have a problem with this forum, please contact a CMod or post in Feedback. Posts deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

If Obama won a Nobel peace prize for basically nothing (well he won an election actually), then surely Trump will win one if on his watch, North and South Korea finally make peace and enters a period of detente, which if history is anything to go by, North Korea will ease its brutal regime an open up?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/donald-trump-nobel-peace-prize_us_5ae3386fe4b04aa23f22b37f

Credit to where its due or will the naysayers say nay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

markodaly wrote: »
    If Obama won a Nobel peace prize for basically nothing (well he won an election actually), then surely Trump will win one if on his watch, North and South Korea finally make peace and enters a period of detente, which if history is anything to go by, North Korea will ease its brutal regime an open up?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/donald-trump-nobel-peace-prize_us_5ae3386fe4b04aa23f22b37f

Credit to where its due or will the naysayers say nay?

I doubt Trump had much to do with getting a positive result with the standoff with North Korea, unless name calling and threats are classed as positive mature actions. Any work would have been by diplomats and the like. Would they be in line for peace prizes.... The Nobel prize should never be given to people with blood on their hands from personal actions, sanctions or by proxy IMO. That would include Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Kissinger won a Peace prize in the middle of the Vietnam war, for fecks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A Nobel peace prize for a president who wants to build a big beautiful wall on his border with his neighbour? A president who has grossly insulted and provoked Palestinians? A president about to withdraw from the Iran deal. A president who has increased the rate of civilian deaths in Syria? A president who mocked and threatened North Korea on Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I doubt Trump had much to do with getting a positive result with the standoff with North Korea, unless name calling and threats are classed as positive mature actions. Any work would have been by diplomats and the like. Would they be in line for peace prizes.... The Nobel prize should never be given to people with blood on their hands from personal actions, sanctions or by proxy IMO. That would include Trump.

Would you include Obama in that.

As I said, the bar was set there, so by that token Trump should get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭amandstu

Obama shouldn't have got one. If Trump can be shown to have achieved (not just stumbled into ) a peaceful outcome on the Korean peninsula he could perhaps be in line for one but it would devalue the award even more than Obama's did since his character and actions in other areas are so odious.

Still peace is peace . Lets wait and see what happens .

• Advertisement

Yes it would include Obama.

amandstu wrote: »
    Obama shouldn't have got one. If Trump can be shown to have achieved (not just stumbled into ) a peaceful outcome on the Korean peninsula he could perhaps be in line for one but it would devalue the award even more than Obama's did since his character and actions in other areas are so odious.

Still peace is peace . Lets wait and see what happens .

If anyone should get a Nobel peace prize out of this process then it should be Moon Jae-in. The idea that a dysfunctional manchild like The Donald deserves a peace prize is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

So far the best reason for Trump to get it is that Obama got it which isn't saying much. I have never heard anyone agree that Obama should have gotten it.

Is it a prestigious prize or not? With Trump supporters its either worthless or the best thing ever depending on who is getting it.
    If anyone should get a Nobel peace prize out of this process then it should be Moon Jae-in. The idea that a dysfunctional manchild like The Donald deserves a peace prize is laughable.

Moon went into the presidency with the goal of peace with NK and was the first world leader to meet up with him and came out with a lot of potential changes that will be good for the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Not sure if it's been posted yet but Trump skipped the Correspondents Dinner again and Michelle Wolf took no prisoners.

SHS apparently walked out with some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Not sure if it's been posted yet but Trump skipped the Correspondents Dinner again and Michelle Wolf took no prisoners.

SHS stayed put I read, but other Reps did walk out.

Trump supporters accuse others of that which they are or do.

Libs are "snowflakes" if they are offended but if Trump supporters are the subject of a joke or say they are offended, they are outraged.

Trump et al accuse others of being fake news, when Trump says that his previous rally had a particular crowd size in attendance, when in fact that figure is 8 times the capacity of the arena.

Everyone got grief - including Hillary and the style of comedy has been of a "roast" variety for decade.

Once the insults are dealt out to all there is no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

That was brilliant, SHS did not look impressed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭amandstu

everlast75 wrote: »

Libs are "snowflakes" if they are offended but if Trump supporters are the subject of a joke or say they are offended, they are outraged.
    When we are humiliated ,black humour is understandable (and often true).

I pity Trump and his hangers on but they are not shy in dishing it out and deserve whatever they get .

I can say their characters are despicable but a good comedian can put bells on it(and some),making us momentarily feel good in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Trump's done nothing. At least Obama had started nuclear non-proliferation and began winding down the us involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Trump has talked about increasing defensive spending, especially nuclear. He treatened nuclear war and continually mocked North Korea until recently.

As Prof Moriarty stated Moon Jae-in has been doing all the work. He was the one that invited the North Koreans to the Olympics, he was the one that met with Kim Jong-un and he will be the one that brokers any talks between the US and North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wow was she a lousy comedian. Got through about 5 minutes of it. Not the material - o.k. the joke about Pence and Anderson Cooper might've been the best, but wow was she bad. Surely they could've come up with someone funnier to skewer Trump. Definitely needed better material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Haven't listened to her but read some of the material used. Fairly severe. Personally prefer a comedian using a scalpel rather than a sledge.
    No harm, telling SHS, to her face, that she just lies. She has got away with that too long.
    But it would still be preferred to watching Trump at a rally.

Water John wrote: »
    Haven't listened to her but read some of the material used. Fairly severe. Personally prefer a comedian using a scalpel rather than a sledge.
    No harm, telling SHS, to her face, that she just lies. She has got away with that too long.
    But it would still be preferred to watching Trump at a rally.

Yes indeed, Trump has a career in comedy, just be himself lol.

The idea that Wolf should hold back when talking about The Donald and his lying cronies is ridiculous. The Donald showed his true colours early on with his untruthful and vicious personal attacks on Clinton during the candidates's debates. The Donald is fair game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Good.
    Everyone annoyed.
    Unbiased then so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The material wasn't great, as said it had the subtly and delivery of a sledgehammer, but it's screaming hypocrisy for Trumps supporters to call offence, given the man laid the ground for this behaviour by way of his constant - so exhaustingly constant - abuse of everyone, whether it's in speeches or Twitter. "Bleeding out of her whatever" and "grab em by the pussy" were leagues more inappropriate than anything from that dinner speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting, Michelle Wolf has a series coming up next month on Netflix. Great publicity.

Abortion jokes? Uncle Tom references?
    Dreadful comedian. Surely the WHC can come up with someone better next year who might actually be funny.

This is only going to help Trump (and Michelle Wolf I suppose.)

Edit - missed the part where SHS actually did walk out. I would've in her shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Igotadose wrote: »
    Interesting, Michelle Wolf has a series coming up next month on Netflix. Great publicity.

Abortion jokes? Uncle Tom references?
    Dreadful comedian. Surely the WHC can come up with someone better next year who might actually be funny.

This is only going to help Trump (and Michelle Wolf I suppose.)

Edit - missed the part where SHS actually did walk out. I would've in her shoes.

Ironic that they can't take jokes at their expense considering the personal attacks they level at people regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Advertisement

I knew her from before the dinner and like her and her humour.

It might be not for everyone taste, but to be "offended" and walk out when Trump has said what he has said and have no issue with it? Faux outrage.
    Like Pence at that football game.

Like they have the moral highground on anyone at the moment...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement