Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,232 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well he was all for Brexit when he was asked about it during a visit to Scotland (if I recall?). Full of praise for the plucky Brits striking out on their own; given his inability to keep a consistent point of view, I wonder if he'll still feel the same? Probably, given how few British politicians understand the ramifications of the decision, I doubt a US President who demands 1-page summaries of issues would have a more sophisticated viewpoint. No doubt he'll still talk about it being 'tremendous'.

Might even go on about what a great deal the UK will get from the US once they've Brexited. Chlorinated chicken and Cornish Pasties packed in Arkansas. In fact, if Wilbur Ross is Commerce Secretary then and comes along for the ride I would bet that's the goodie that Teresa May asked for.

Plus, for Trump, it's a trip abroad. Even though he supposedly despises traveling (among his numerous neuroses he likes to be 'at home' each night, be it NYC or Mar-a-Lago), he likes being around DC even less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The interview is something.

But the end was hilarious. The Fox presenters were trying to hang up on Trump like somebody who is tired of listening to an elderly relative who was just ranting nonsense.

Trump: *ranting about FBI, Hilary, DOJ, etc.*
    Fox presenter: Ok
    Fox presenter: Right
    All 3 Fox presenters: Alright
    Fox presenter: We could talk to you all day but it looks like you have a million things to do.
    Trump: Inaudible talking over the presenter
    Fox presenter: I hope you can join us again sometime

Hilarious but its insanely scary that this is the most powerful man on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭amandstu

Hazys wrote: »
    The interview is something.

But the end was hilarious. The Fox presenters were trying to hang up on Trump like somebody who is tired of listening to an elderly relative who was just ranting nonsense.

Fox presenter: Ok
    Fox presenter: Right
    All 3 Fox presenters: Alright
    Fox presenter: We could talk to you all day but it looks like you have a million things to do.
    Trump: Inaudible talking over the presenter
    Fox presenter: I hope you can join us again sometime

Hilarious but its insanely scary that this is the most powerful man on the planet.

Did they have the right number?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,420 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Igotadose wrote: »
    Might even go on about what a great deal the UK will get from the US once they've Brexited. Chlorinated chicken and Cornish Pasties packed in Arkansas. In fact, if Wilbur Ross is Commerce Secretary then and comes along for the ride I would bet that's the goodie that Teresa May asked for.

Plus, for Trump, it's a trip abroad. Even though he supposedly despises traveling (among his numerous neuroses he likes to be 'at home' each night, be it NYC or Mar-a-Lago), he likes being around DC even less.

The thing about this man is he is politically ignorant. He is a populist celebrity. He certainly knows how to play the popularity game but Politics is not his interest or speciality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

The thing about this man is he is politically ignorant. He is a populist celebrity. He certainly knows how to play the popularity game but Politics is not his interest or speciality.

If he knows how to play the popularity game why did he lose the popular vote by an unprecedented margin?

If he knows how to play the popularity game why is suffering the highest disapproval ratings of a modern President?

So much of the Trump shtick is built on unchallenged nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,420 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If he knows how to play the popularity game why did he lose the popular vote by an unprecedented margin?

If he knows how to play the popularity game why is suffering the highest disapproval ratings of a modern President?

So much of the Trump shtick is built on unchallenged nonsense.

Point taken. Populism is different to being popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭briany

I just watched the Frontline episode last night titled, "Trump's Takeover". It really encapsulated Trump's anger and unhingedness. I was watching it laughing in disbelief. I thought that was bad, but this latest interview is just as bad or worse. Truly historic times we're living in watching this meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 39,691 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah that a surreal thing to see. The TV equivalent of Wrigley Field(friendly confines) of Fox news and they anchors were doing everything bar make the cut them off sign on camera to get this guy to stop digging a deeper hole.

Lawrence O Donnell(best thing on US TV) will be wetting himself over Trump and his rant today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

John Lewis is a Democratic Congressman, who as a young man, marched and worked with Martin Luther King. He is a totem for civil rights and civility. This tweet sent out from Emanuel Macron's twitter account shows a video of himself embracing John Lewis, something that I found incredibly moving, the respect Macron had for him. Brilliant.

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/989238213784096770

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah that a surreal thing to see. The TV equivalent of Wrigley Field(friendly confines) of Fox news and they anchors were doing everything bar make the cut them off sign on camera to get this guy to stop digging a deeper hole.

Lawrence O Donnell(best thing on US TV) will be wetting himself over Trump and his rant today.

Lawrence retweeted this, from Ron Klain earlier, which puts what happened in context

https://twitter.com/RonaldKlain/status/989493351387975680

Avenatti is just on with Nicole Wallace right now.

Mumha wrote: »
    Lawrence retweeted this, from Ron Klain earlier, which puts what happened in context

https://twitter.com/RonaldKlain/status/989493351387975680

Avenatti is just on with Nicole Wallace right now.

Avenatti should just join MSNBC after this and be made co-host with Lawrence O Donnell.

On MSNBC now they are saying Trump's supporters are worried he'll lie in an interview with Mueller. Are we sure they are his actual friends ?

They are playing more of his rant from this morning from Fox and Friends. Jesus help us this man is like a disaster for his legal team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭josip

They are playing more of his rant from this morning from Fox and Friends. Jesus help us this man is like a disaster for his legal team.

Who and how many are actually on this 'team'?

josip wrote: »
    Who and how many are actually on this 'team'?

The best people obviously.

I don't know honestly. I don't think the president knows who is on his team or who is in his administration.

Avenatti should just join MSNBC after this and be made co-host with Lawrence O Donnell.

He was on with iirc Ari Melber and expressed an interest in going into Politics....which would be great to see.

On MSNBC now they are saying Trump's supporters are worried he'll lie in an interview with Mueller. Are we sure they are his actual friends ?

They're saying that he couldn't stop himself from lying, and judging by today's evidence, they're on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Deleted post.

Yes, great job by Moon Jae-in. Possible Nobel prize perhaps? Let's hope The Donald's clumsy narcissism and childish twittering doesn't fup it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Yes, great job by Moon Jae-in. Possible Nobel prize perhaps? Let's hope The Donald's clumsy narcissism and childish twittering doesn't fup it up.

If this works out I would be surprised if Moon didn't get it.

• Advertisement

The last word with Lawrence o donnell is up as a podcast and oh is it good so far. Ten minute open with the panic at fox being the main point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: No more photodumps please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Ah well, we'll just to disagree. As pointed out in another thread, I'm sure you and the folks on here know more than South Korea's foreign minister.

It's really sad that even positive historic news is met with such vitriol.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/26/world/korea-summit-kang-kyung-wha-amanpour-intl/index.html

(CNN)South Korea's foreign minister has said she believes President Donald Trump is largely responsible for bringing North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to the negotiating table.

Speaking ahead of Friday's historic summit between the leaders of North and South Korea, Kang Kyung-wha told CNN that the US President had played a significant role in bringing the two sides together.
    "Clearly, credit goes to President Trump," Kang told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in Seoul. "He's been determined to come to grips with this from day one."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,275 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, Trump is responsible in that Kim has been demanding negotiations for years, and previous Presidents (and indeed Trump, until recently) have refused, on the basis that this would encourage and reward Kim for bullying his way to the negotiating table through pursuing his nuclear strategy.

Trump, obviously, has had second thoughts about this strategy, and has reversed course by agreeing to the negotiations which Kim has long demanded. Describing this as "bringing Kim to the negotiating table" looks a bit disingenuous, though; if anything, it is Kim who has brought Trump to the negotiating table.

Will Trump's change of tack bear good results? That remains to be seen. It's a bit soon to be thinking of Nobel prizes, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just curious, as I don't really know what the criteria would be to qualify for a Nobel peace prize, but would the Donald's techniques qualify as meeting the requirements to be given one.

In other words, would the approach of publicly belittling & abusing the leader of a nation & threatening to bomb them out of existence qualify as deserving a peace prize, if it results in a peaceful resolution & NK were to denuclearise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Trump needs to be kept away from these talks from as long as possible, he will go into them with one aim coming out looking like a winner, which is so dangerous
    If he goes it could end in disaster due to his ego, unless he gets played just like Macron tried to play him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

I'd say the bar is fairly low after Obama's win

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

2 Scoops wrote: »
    I'd say the bar is fairly low after Obama's win

Thats one thing I will agree with you on, him winning the prize specifically when he did completely baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Second term for trump, the perception of success is working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Will Trump's change of tack bear good results? That remains to be seen. It's a bit soon to be thinking of Nobel prizes, IMO.

I think there is a very good chance that the talks will have good results. I think there is no chance whatsoever that Kim will actually give up his nukes.

I was listening to SKY news there yesterday, and they managed in successive sentences to say:

1) Kim's nukes make him far more important and powerful than his father, which is why he feels comfortable crossing the border to talk to the South: he comes from a position of strength.

2) This gives new hope that he will denuclearize.

Do they think we are all idiots, or are they actually that stupid themselves?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement