Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you go to Confession?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Last time I went was before getting married in 1990. We had a priest during the 80's that gave a sermon one Sunday on confession saying that he was fed up with people coming to confession with the same sins, was he telling us to go and commit new sins? Then you have the holy Joe's going once a month that wouldn't have a decent sin between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Dakota Dan wrote:
    Last time I went was before getting married in 1990. We had a priest during the 80's that gave a sermon one Sunday on confession saying that he was fed up with people coming to confession with the same sins, was he telling us to go and commit new sins? Then you have the holy Joe's going once a month that wouldn't have a decent sin between them.

That priest was an idiot.

Every big and little sin must be confessed, in order that you be able to stand before the Son of Man.

Ask God that all the sins of my past life be forgiven. He will forgive you. You see, you must genuinely seek His forgiveness in order to enter His Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Every big and little sin must be confessed, in order that you be able to stand before the Son of Man.

I remember when I was 8 years old back in the 70's and we went to knock and going to confession in a hallway with several confession boxes, fairly daunting for an 8 year old. The priest I went to was hard of hearing and started roaring and shouting aggressively at me because he couldn't hear me. That experience cured me of confession even though I went for a good few years after until I was old enough to make up my own mind.

• Advertisement

His Heart is an ocean of unfathomable mercy.

And He wants everyone to be saved. He wants no one to be lost. Go for it!

Dakota Dan wrote:
    I remember when I was 8 years old back in the 70's and we went to knock and going to confession in a hallway with several confession boxes, fairly daunting for an 8 year old. The priest I went to was hard of hearing and started roaring and shouting aggressively at me because he couldn't hear me. That experience cured me of confession even though I went for a good few years after until I was old enough to make up my own mind.

Another idiot of a priest. He did terrible harm, driving away sincere penitents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

More correctly, the bishops are the successors of the Apostles, and the priests are their assistants. Read the earlier posts by other contributors for biblical references to support my view.

Ive been studying the Bible for over 30 years and see no mention of succession in the Church. Where exactly does it get spoken about?...just in case I missed it

As for priests......they are an old testament concept. Not referred to in the context of New Testament Church oversight. Bishops are but only due to the era the translators wrote it. The word is actually overseers, those who had oversight.

Ive been studying the Bible for over 30 years and see no mention of succession in the Church. Where exactly does it get spoken about?...just in case I missed it

As for priests......they are an old testament concept. Not referred to in the context of New Testament Church oversight. Bishops are but only due to the era the translators wrote it. The word is actually overseers, those who had oversight.

Christ founded His Church whilst on Earth. The Catholic Church is the bride of Christ. He called Peter (Petrus= the Rock). Peter was the first Pope. There is an unbroken line of succession to the present day. Some popes were bad, but that is because of our fallen nature.
    He instituted the sacrament of confession when He breathed on the apostles with the words "Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven. Whose sins you shall retain, they are retained".
    The apostles were the first priests. And ever since, in an unbroken line, the bishop lays his hands on the head of the priest to give him the power to baptise, to celebrate the Eucharist, to forgive sin in His name, and perform the sacrament of the sick.
    The Holy Catholic Church was founded by Christ for the salvation of the world.

• Advertisement

Christ founded His Church whilst on Earth. The Catholic Church is the bride of Christ. He called Peter (Petrus= the Rock). Peter was the first Pope. There is an unbroken line of succession to the present day. Some popes were bad, but that is because of our fallen nature.
    He instituted the sacrament of confession when He breathed on the apostles with the words "Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven. Whose sins you shall retain, they are retained".
    The apostles were the first priests. And ever since, in an unbroken line, the bishop lays his hands on the head of the priest to give him the power to baptise, to celebrate the Eucharist, to forgive sin in His name, and perform the sacrament of the sick.
    The Holy Catholic Church was founded by Christ for the salvation of the world.

He actually said "Peter..you are a small stone" you need to check the Greek instead of a RC doctrinal statement
    He referred to Himself as the Rock.

I know what I'm talking about. You are correct in what you say. Peter was the first Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

He called Peter (Petrus= the Rock).

Steady structures rely on sound foundations. A wall for example, will typically have foundations that are three time the width of the wall which is going to stand on them. Even in the older days, before bricks and mortar construction, stone/rubble built walls where thick at the bottom and thinned as they got higher. You might consider the structure of a pyramid - you don't have to be an engineer to suppose that that design is about as stable as they come - it'll never up end.

Not so, your belief about the Catholic Church (for it is but a belief of yours). Be it some remote OT verse, from which a host of sacred-sperm theology is pulled, rabbit-from-a-hat like. Or the above, where the legitimacy of the whole Roman Catholic church is found to stand on a word.

All the stability of an upside down pyramid.

The Catholic Church of is the one true Church founded by Christ for the salvation of the world.

Steady structures rely on sound foundations. A wall for example, will typically have foundations that are three time the width of the wall which is going to stand on them. Even in the older days, before bricks and mortar construction, stone/rubble built walls where thick at the bottom and thinned as they got higher. You might consider the structure of a pyramid - you don't have to be an engineer to suppose that that design is about as stable as they come - it'll never up end.

Not so, your belief about the Catholic Church (for it is but a belief of yours). Be it some remote OT verse, from which a host of sacred-sperm theology is pulled, rabbit-from-a-hat like. Or the above, where the legitimacy of the whole Roman Catholic church is found to stand on a word.

All the stability of an upside down pyramid.

Pyramids are great... especially when it comes to teabags. Full of holes so that the flavour can flood out;)

The Catholic Church of is the one true Church founded by Christ for the salvation of the world.

No it isn't

Yes it is

No it isn't

Yes it is

Stalemate. Unless one is crass enough to suppose that by keeping on saying "Yes it is" stalemate is avoided.

-

How you come to believe what you believe is of interest though. What is your foundation? Is your foundation but a word in the Bible?

It's circular reasoning to say that "the RC church is the true church established by Jesus, that's why I believe the RC church is the true church established by Jesus.

Have you any foundations. Or are you planted on stony ground?

Pyramids are great... especially when it comes to teabags. Full of holes so that the flavour can flood out;)

Don't mention the Flood whatever you do!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sometime in primary school,
    Never saw it as a thing, it never made sense to me even when I was very young.
    If you did believe in god then just talk to god directly, you don't need an operator (priest). Either way I made up stuff as I didn't believe in telling a stranger (priest) my personal stuff.

Advertisement