Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you go to Confession?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

May 1990 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

just before Christmas, but need to go again as I missed Mass, therefore, missed the Eucharistic.

see the below link for more information about confession :
    http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c2a4.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That is your choice.

I don't see Christian ministers having any yagya powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

How do you know that you weren't imagining this? I'm sure there were lots of people in the church that day who didn't go to communion. . Did he give them the evil stare as well, or were you specially selected?

It was obvious to myself, my mother, and my sister. When someone stares at you, it's obvious, not something you imagine. Yes, we were the only ones he stared at.

Like I said, I didn't care, tbh we all pissed ourselves laughing on the way home about it, but it just confirmed why I don't go into the church except for funerals/weddings. And in a few years there will be hardly anyone left in attendance in mass because young people aren't buying into the judgement, hypocrisy and dictatorial nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

johnayo wrote:
    May 1990 for me.

Time to go back.

• Advertisement

Like I said, I didn't care, tbh we all pissed ourselves laughing on the way home about it, but it just confirmed why I don't go into the church except for funerals/weddings. And in a few years there will be hardly anyone left in attendance in mass because young people aren't buying into the judgement, hypocrisy and dictatorial nonsense.

Dear ninety two team, I realise now that you and your mother were badly hurt by an ignorant priest. But this is no reason not to return. Please go back, go to confession and receive the body and blood of the Lord. God bless you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is incorrect. God immediately forgives a repentant heart. But He instituted the sacrament of penance to give you a guarantee as a human being that you are forgiven.

Well if god forgives that’s good enough for me.
    I haven’t been to a “confession” in 30 years. My kids both had first confession but I’ve no intention in making them go to an organised confession again. I’ve always explained to them that if they are genuinely repentant for something wrong that they have done, and ask god directly for forgiveness that god will forgive them, he must, a loving and forgiving god would not ignore the repentant prayer of a genuine person.

I cannot accept that god would refuse to forgive a genuinely made confession directly to him. Yes the sacrament of confession exists, but Christ did not I still this on the apostles and then follow by saying don’t repent directly to me or my father only to our representative.

Not meaning to go off topic but similarly I feel the weekly expectation for mass attendance is a “local” development.

Is there anywhere in scripture that specifically says that Christians must attend mass weekly.

I’ve a friend who moved here from central Spain. The first shock she got was the frequency Irish people attend mass, in her childhood the expectations was monthly, and not just in her family but parish. Does this make that whole swathe of Spain bad Christians - I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Schorpio

_Brian wrote: »
    Well if god forgives that’s good enough for me.
    I haven’t been to a “confession” in 30 years. My kids both had first confession but I’ve no intention in making them go to an organised confession again. I’ve always explained to them that if they are genuinely repentant for something wrong that they have done, and ask god directly for forgiveness that god will forgive them, he must, a loving and forgiving god would not ignore the repentant prayer of a genuine person.

I cannot accept that god would refuse to forgive a genuinely made confession directly to him. Yes the sacrament of confession exists, but Christ did not I still this on the apostles and then follow by saying don’t repent directly to me or my father only to our representative.

Exactly the point I was trying to make too.

I don't understand why you are required to go to the priest/middle man, unless you specifically need someone to talk back to you.

At the end of the day, your 'penance' is decided by the priest, who (although I take the point of him being representative) is just another person. And it's always only a few prayers anyway, so just do it yourself if you feel the need.

Why would God turn someone away, who had lived a good life and mostly tried to be the best person they could, just because they didn't go to confession? That would seem pretty petty to me.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Exactly the point I was trying to make too.

I don't understand why you are required to go to the priest/middle man, unless you specifically need someone to talk back to you.

At the end of the day, your 'penance' is decided by the priest, who (although I take the point of him being representative) is just another person. And it's always only a few prayers anyway, so just do it yourself if you feel the need.

Why would God turn someone away, who had lived a good life and mostly tried to be the best person they could, just because they didn't go to confession? That would seem pretty petty to me.

I think it facilitates those who don’t have the confidence to confess directly and need the reassurance from someone that they have been forgiven.

Similarly the regular attendance at mass guides them on a regular basis and reassures them they are part of the overall faith.

My opinion is that there is no absolute on these matters but rather “local” tradition and interpretation of scripture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Never done Maybe as a child
    doing it at home in my prayers , don't need the church for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

_Brian wrote: »
    I think it facilitates those who don’t have the confidence to confess directly and need the reassurance from someone that they have been forgiven.

Similarly the regular attendance at mass guides them on a regular basis and reassures them they are part of the overall faith.

My opinion is that there is no absolute on these matters but rather “local” tradition and interpretation of scripture.

Only God knows the heart of the penitent person and only God can give assurance of sins forgiven.

Saying a priest an give someone reassurance of forgiveness is a fallacy.

Only God knows the heart of the penitent person and only God can give assurance of sins forgiven.

Saying a priest an give someone reassurance of forgiveness is a fallacy.

Like much to do with religous belif thats a matter of opinion and faith.. I wouldnt say fo sure a priest can't do it, if people like that then good for them... my point is I dont need it, I have the direct line option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

Never been to confession in my life.

I confess my sins to God and trust that I've received His forgiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Schorpio wrote: »
    Confession is something I've only ever understood in the context of getting advice.

If you've done wrong, are in dire straights, and need someone to talk to about it, yeah by all means go for it.

But if you can just talk to the man himself - or rather he can hear everything you wish to say to him in his omnipresent state - then why talk to the judgemental, imperfect mortal? Cut out the middle man?

Absolutely right. Christ alone can forgive sin. No need to ask someone else to when we can straight to the one who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

keano_afc wrote: »
    Absolutely right. Christ alone can forgive sin. No need to ask someone else to when we can straight to the one who can.
    Not really:

John 20:22 And with that he breathed on them [the apostles] and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

To answer the OP, I go roughly every month.

kelly1 wrote: »
    Not really:

John 20:22 And with that he breathed on them [the apostles] and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

Where does it say that extended beyond them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

kelly1 wrote: »
    Not really:

To answer the OP, I go roughly every month.

Direct interaction and instruction between Christ and the apostles. No evidence of this instruction being meant for anyone but them.

Not wanting to drag the thread off topic but Christ forgives sin. Please tell me why I have to go anywhere else.

The apostles were the first priests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

keano_afc wrote: »
    Direct interaction and instruction between Christ and the apostles. No evidence of this instruction being meant for anyone but them.

Not wanting to drag the thread off topic but Christ forgives sin. Please tell me why I have to go anywhere else.
    The fact is that Jesus gave the apostles the authority to forgive sin. Why should this end with them? Why have a temporary authority?

2 Cor 5:18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.

We lots of example of ordination through the laying of hands. What do you suppose this was about? Confession wasn't questioned until the time of the Reformation. Why so?

It is also a fact that the early Church had a tradition of the sacrament of penance/reconciliation.

John Chrysostom:
    Priests have received a power which God has given neither to angels nor to archangels. Did [God] not give them all the powers of heaven? "Whose sins you shall forgive," he says, "they are forgiven them; whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." (The Priesthood 3:5 [A.D. 387]).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Last time I went I was about 14. I'm pushing 40 now so about 25 years ago.

Last time I went I was about 14. I'm pushing 40 now so about 25 years ago.

Would you think of going back again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Would you think of going back again?

Nope.

Fair enough.

The apostles were the first priests.

Where does the bible say that ?

More correctly, the bishops are the successors of the Apostles, and the priests are their assistants. Read the earlier posts by other contributors for biblical references to support my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

went for the first time in about 20 years in the year of mercy, probably would never have given it a thought had it not been so openly advertised. I wasn't a regular church goer but often stopped in on my way home for a silent sit down. I had been through a lot the previous year and held a lot of hurt and anger and considered suicide a lot.
    Part of me wanted to go in preparation for death (suicidal people tend to start getting things in order, I also started making sure I had loans paid off and arranged for death benefit payment to be organised so as to take care of funeral costs) So I figured might be no harm seeing if I could let go and try and find forgiveness for the things that had been done to me. Priest went through motions and told me to go talk to someone. I didn't really feel any better :pac: but I have been to confession maybe three times since and honestly, I can say with hand on heart that I never felt I was in the presence of an anointed so it felt like an empty sacrament. Kind of got sick of trying to find God in a church and eventually found him by myself and just left the religion behind.

koumi wrote:
    went for the first time in about 20 years in the year of mercy, probably would never have given it a thought had it not been so openly advertised. I wasn't a regular church goer but often stopped in on my way home for a silent sit down. I had been through a lot the previous year and held a lot of hurt and anger and considered suicide a lot. Part of me wanted to go in preparation for death (suicidal people tend to start getting things in order, I also started making sure I had loans paid off and arranged for death benefit payment to be organised so as to take care of funeral costs) So I figured might be no harm seeing if I could let go and try and find forgiveness for the things that had been done to me. Priest went through motions and told me to go talk to someone. I didn't really feel any better but I have been to confession maybe three times since and honestly, I can say with hand on heart that I never felt I was in the presence of an anointed so it felt like an empty sacrament. Kind of got sick of trying to find God in a church and eventually found him by myself and just left the religion behind.

You are a person who is sincerely trying to find God and repent of your sins. God knows that and has forgiven you completely. Do not fret any more. You are a child, nay, a son of God and you will enter the Kingdom of God.
    The priest who met you in confession did not do God's work properly. If you wish, should you fall into sin again, find another priest and talk to him, not necessarily in the confessional. When you hear God's words "I absolve you from your sins, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Go in peace". You will be delighted, and your heart will fill with joy. God bless you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

You are a person who is sincerely trying to find God and repent of your sins. God knows that and has forgiven you completely. Do not fret any more. You are a child, nay, a son of God and you will enter the Kingdom of God.
    The priest who met you in confession did not do God's work properly. If you wish, should you fall into sin again, find another priest and talk to him, not necessarily in the confessional. When you hear God's words "I absolve you from your sins, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Go in peace". You will be delighted, and your heart will fill with joy. God bless you.
    I heard them right there :) thank you

• Advertisement

No, thank you.

Advertisement