Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird man of Loughcrew

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

So many questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Aliens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

latest?cb=20101027222047

Is there a new shopping center opening soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Birdman was murdered by the Galactic Federation and resurrected as the cyborg Phoenixperson.

rick-and-morty-bird-person-season-3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fairy stop on a fairy trail for tourism. What do you think yourself?

Of course it's a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭gifted

Birdman of Alcatraz..with Burt Lancaster...now that was a good film

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Did they ever find out who was the person stealing and selling archaeological artifacts to American museums?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Definitely probably Aliens. That or the Swiss. Nobody ever expects the Swiss but I know. I know

This story could become a much larger story fairly soon. The guy who found it were interviewed by a reporter I know in Meath this morning. LMFM had it on Late Lunch yesterday, it is on their podcast. The dept of Heritage denied the story yesterday.

A similar but much smaller find was made at the Hill of Ward in Meath a few years ago, which the dept of Heritage also denied. The rumor was that it was because they wanted the minister to announce it first.

The lady who owns the site at Loughcrew was saying yesterday that they 3 guys were a nice bunch of lads, but today she is denying they were ever there.

This was not a set-up, nor is it a publicity stunt. Its an important find.
    I'll eat my imaginary hat if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I think one of the commentators on the Chronicle article is close in their guess

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor

Considering it's location in a ruined churchyard where others would be buried. Why wouldn't an esteemed Plague doctor get a special headstone or grave slab

220px-Paul_F%C3%BCrst%2C_Der_Doctor_Schnabel_von_Rom_%28Holl%C3%A4nder_version%29.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I have just listened to an interview with the guy who found it on LMFM podcast from yesterday:

skip to 9:50 in the recording.

https://www.lmfm.ie/on-air/shows/late-lunch/late-lunch-podcasts-(1)/late-lunch-wednesday-january-10th-2018/

Apparently the department have dug up the statue and removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Yeah I was thinking plague mask when I seen it first
    For some reason they give me the
    heebee jeebees
    Was watching beauty and the beast there over the christmass and an image of one came up and and all I could think if was, I hate those effin things.

I have just listened to an interview with the guy who found it on LMFM podcast from yesterday:

skip to 9:50 in the recording.

https://www.lmfm.ie/on-air/shows/late-lunch/late-lunch-podcasts-(1)/late-lunch-wednesday-january-10th-2018/

Ah look, there's no way the Department would have responded and removed an artefact from that terrain in a single day.

It's a publicity stunt, like many more around the country over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Government cover-up!

Remains of the Children of Lir - mythology covering the arrival of avian-humanoid aliens!

😜

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Aliens.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Cool! Looks like a definite carving trying to recreate a sarcophagus. Could be recent enough though, a lot of those who owned estates like this in the 18th -19th Century were heavily into esoteric occult stuff. Great find though

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Cool! Looks like a definite carving trying to recreate a sarcophagus. Could be recent enough though, a lot of those who owned estates like this in the 18th -19th Century were heavily into esoteric occult stuff. Great find though

I know a guy who is renting an old estate house not too far from this area, and he decided to have a look around the sheds and out-houses at the rear of the estate, where low and behold he found a large wicker-man standing at the back of one of the sheds.

The find at Loughcrew could be medieval though, for it is around that time that the plague doctors were in operation, if it does turn out to be a plague doctor's tomb/burial case or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I think one of the commentators on the Chronicle article is close in their guess

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor

Considering it's location in a ruined churchyard where others would be buried. Why wouldn't an esteemed Plague doctor get a special headstone or grave slab

220px-Paul_F%C3%BCrst%2C_Der_Doctor_Schnabel_von_Rom_%28Holl%C3%A4nder_version%29.png

The current church dates from the 16th century and was built by the Plunketts. This is too late for the plague. However there was supposed to be a church at Loughcrew dating back to the 14th century which would tie in.
    The whole area around the church was overgrown until fairly recently when the gardens and activity centre was developed

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Hoax, and a bad one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

This story could become a much larger story fairly soon. The guy who found it were interviewed by a reporter I know in Meath this morning. LMFM had it on Late Lunch yesterday, it is on their podcast. The dept of Heritage denied the story yesterday.

This was not a set-up, nor is it a publicity stunt. Its an important find.

My God Scully, do you know what this means?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    My God Scully, do you know what this means?

well, off the top of my head, it could explain what the funny birdman figures in Hieronymous Bosch's paintings may have been about.

8f58aad7fc4fddc7d3597533403c1528.jpg

Digestive+Process.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

well, off the top of my head, it could explain what the funny birdman figures in Hieronymous Bosch's paintings may have been about.
    [/IMG]

I doubt they had any influence on his painting, Bosch's paintings were madness involving all sort of creatures and animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Obviously it's the sarcophagus of Pinocchio.

Glazers Out!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I doubt they had any influence on his painting, Bosch's paintings were madness involving all sort of creatures and animals.

Interesting short article I just found on it here

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Loughcrew has many neolithic passage cairns too doesn't it? No idea of that area so no idea where that estate is in connection to that place, but remember seeing photo's of the cairns in the area and a sculpted stone chair called 'The Hag's Chair'. Must go down there for a look

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Interesting short article I just found on it here

Link

Meh, I'm pulling rank on that article with my Leaving Cert Art History :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

"work on a new fairy stop on a new fairy trail" and the heads on the lads talking to RTE leads me to believe this is a nonsense publicity stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

GonzoMTI.JPG

RIP Gonzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

The Plague Doctor.

Looks like a mass burial site, no wonder the archaeologists of The National Monuments Service of the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht are not interested in it. I'd say this one will be re-covered and marked as a mass burial site. That stone is just a warning as to what lies beneath.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement

Looks like a mass burial site, no wonder the archaeologists of The National Monuments Service of the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht are not interested in it. I'd say this one will be re-covered and marked as a mass burial site. That stone is just a warning as to what lies beneath.
    I have just listened to an interview with the guy who found it on LMFM podcast from yesterday....

Oh cop on! It's a publicity stunt and the item has mysteriously disappeared.

These local community tourism groups are always pulling stunts like this.

Leprechaun clothing with gold coins in the pockets found at Carlingford in 1989 led to a series of sightings and even a successful campaign to have the area protected by the E.U. under a habitats directive in 2009.

Advertisement