Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet troll says crimes not serious

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I think we need to stop minimising this as "trolling". Originally, internet trolling was just mildly annoying people derailing forum discussions and so on by being a bit silly.

Sending someone death threats on line is no different from sending threatening letters or making threatening phonecalls. We don't call that behaviour postal trolling or telephone trolling. I don't see why we try to redefine very serious harassment just because it's online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Keyboard warriors unite to sling pitchforks at Internet troll

THE IRONING IS DELICIOUS ROUND THESE PARTS.

And just throw the irony brigade into the mix and it’s one hell of a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No need for ironing on this one tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

minikin wrote: »
    The personal abuse of this poor guy is appalling. What exactly has his appearance got to do with anything, some on here are as guilty of online bullying as this young lad.

He’s been through the courts system, looks like some on here won’t be happy until he’s hounded into an early grave.

Mob justice is no justice.

When asked about his online bullying and if it was a serious matter he said "No, not really." So i'm sure it won't bother him in the slightest.

You're judging the effectiveness of the judicial system by, what it's reported, the person found guilty said they thought about the situation.
    That's like saying the courts are ineffective because some gangster who has been sentenced to ten years said he'd do it 'spinning on his ****' (my asterisks)
    Just because people say things doesn't make them true.

How did he get off scot free?
    He was found guilty and given what Justice Anthony Halpin felt was an appropriate sentence, six months suspended for two years.
    He now has a criminal conviction which will dog him for the rest of his days.
    Sounds like punishment to me.

But that's not enough for some, lets totally destroy him on here, a taste of his own medicine, lets victimise him... yeah, to show him that victimising and bullying people online isn't acceptable in this society... yeah...

I very much doubt he'll be troubling the job market any time soon looking at the state of him.

• Advertisement

The gas things is it's almost a guarantee he is reading this thread :pac:

I'd say theres a mini chance he, or his kin are posting here too. :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Exactly my point, what has him being overweight got to do with anything?
    Why is it acceptable to attack the amount of skin he fills, but not the colour of that skin?
    His overall appearance - torn, unwashed clothes, bad skin and morbid obesity illustrates someone who is unaware of basic personal care or who is so mired in mental illness that they just don't care about their appearance.

His obesity isn't the be-all and end-all of his mental state, but it certainly paints a picture of someone who has trouble taking care of themself.

The shaved head doesn't help calm the "I am an internet Nazi" persona, but that can be just coincidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

When asked about his online bullying and if it was a serious matter he said "No, not really." So i'm sure it won't bother him in the slightest.

Continue doing it so, if you enjoy it.
    Let's lower ourselves to the same level as the offender.
    Sure, what harm can come from a bit of online bullying?

akubra.PNG

I'd say theres a mini chance he, or his kin are posting here too. :P:P

Clever, but no... don't know, am not related to, have never had any interaction with this person. I was just raised in a society where if you see someone being bullied you did something about it rather than joined in, things seem to have changed around here.

d'ya want ta be in my gang, my gang, my gang...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Jasus I thought the pic in the OP was a meme

this eejit actually exists

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    His overall appearance - torn, unwashed clothes, bad skin and morbid obesity illustrates someone who is unaware of basic personal care or who is so mired in mental illness that they just don't care about their appearance.

His obesity isn't the be-all and end-all of his mental state, but it certainly paints a picture of someone who has trouble taking care of themself.

The shaved head doesn't help calm the "I am an internet Nazi" persona, but that can be just coincidental.

Surely all these indicators of mental ill health are reason not to go to town on the chap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Continue doing it so, if you enjoy it.
    Let's lower ourselves to the same level as the offender.
    Sure, what harm can come from a bit of online bullying?

akubra.PNG

You have a backwards look on this. You continue to defend a guy who was doing more than a bit of online bullying. I'm beginning to think that you are also a troll.

Rory28 wrote: »
    You have a backwards look on this. You continue to defend a guy who was doing more than a bit of online bullying. I'm beginning to think that you are also a troll.

ding ding ding ding... there we have it... start attacking me now, call me a troll because you've run out of arguments - what's next, report some posts? try to get a mod to warn or ban me from the thread because, horrors of horrors, you don't agree with my point of view??

If your only contribution to a debate is to personally attack the other participants, by name calling, then maybe you need a stronger contribution?

All I'm doing is shining a light on the hypocrisy on here and you don't like it, come back with a counterpoint, but enough of the personal abuse.

If reasoned and reasonable discussion gets drowned out by the mob all you will end up with is an echo chamber filled with the lowest common denominator.

Surely all these indicators of mental ill health are reason not to go to town on the chap?
    That's a big if.

If he's reading. If he cares. If he's even remotely aware.

You could suppose that he's either unaware or just doesn't care about his appearance, so comments on a forum will be of little consequence.

In principle, sure, general abusive and malicious comments shouldn't be tolerated, but I don't see an issue with fair and/or honest comments. There's a difference between an offensive statement and an abusive one.

That's exactly what he doesn't understand.

ding ding ding ding... there we have it... start attacking me now, call me a troll because you've run out of arguments - what's next, report some posts? try to get a mod to warn or ban me from the thread because, horrors of horrors, you don't agree with my point of view??

If your only contribution to a debate is to personally attack the other participants, by name calling, then maybe you need a stronger contribution?

All I'm doing is shining a light on the hypocrisy on here and you don't like it, come back with a counterpoint, but enough of the personal abuse.

If reasoned and reasonable discussion gets drowned out by the mob all you will end up with is an echo chamber filled with the lowest common denominator.

Hypocrisy?? I haven't seen any posts on here directed at him telling him he is going to be "filled with lead" or threatening him. He wasn't "trolling" he was threatening violence towards someone. Not one person in here has done the same, and if they did i'd be the first to report them.

Also, no one has "attacked" you.

seamus wrote: »
    That's a big if.

If he's reading. If he cares. If he's even remotely aware.

You could suppose that he's either unaware or just doesn't care about his appearance, so comments on a forum will be of little consequence.

In principle, sure, general abusive and malicious comments shouldn't be tolerated, but I don't see an issue with fair and/or honest comments. There's a difference between an offensive statement and an abusive one.

Should we not aim for a better level of behaviour than the school ground Seamus? It's ok to target someone for bullying IF they don't know about it? or IF they say they don't care about it?
    There's a difference between an offensive statement and an abusive one.
    Read back over some of the contributions, tell me they're not abusive of this named individual.
    This is the point, the rest of us 'non-mentally ill' people should understand this and behave in a way that demonstrates this understanding.

Should we not aim for a better level of behaviour than the school ground Seamus? It's ok to target someone for bullying IF they don't know about it? or IF they say they don't care about it?

Read back over some of the contributions, tell me they're not abusive of this named individual.

This is the point, the rest of us 'non-mentally ill' people should understand this and behave in a way that demonstrates this understanding.

How do you know that the rest of us aren't mentally ill?? "One in four people will experience a mental health problem at some point in their lives." - according to Mental Health Ireland.

Hypocrisy?? I haven't seen any posts on here directed at him telling him he is going to be "filled with lead" or threatening him. He wasn't "trolling" he was threatening violence towards someone. Not one person in here has done the same, and if they did i'd be the first to report them.

Also, no one has "attacked" you.

1. You don't think it's hypocritical to bully someone online because they bullied someone online?

2. Not once on this thread have I referred to his awful activities as "trolling".

3. You "attacked" me, by inferring that I was in some way related to the guy. Because you could find no other way of trying to undermine my point of view. Attack the post, not the poster.

Now, any chance we can get back to the topic?

In my experience, internet trolls are;

Ugly in appearance and personality

Angry at the world

Unemployed

Feel the world has somehow done them wrong, without realizing that it's just them and not the world

Are mentally ill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

There are no arguments to make. He made vile death threats and is deserving of public anger. I have yet to see a single death threat in this thread and have certainly not attacked you.

The only discussion we should be having is the inadequacy of our justice system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Don't think of it as name calling. Think of it as a description of your behaviour.

Grayson wrote: »
    Don't think of it as name calling. Think of it as a description of your behaviour.

"a description of your behaviour"
    What behaviour is that?

Being reasonable and saying the courts have done their job, no need for a further trial by social media, let's not destroy this young man entirely.
    Is that being labelled as "behaviour" now?

There's a nasty habit of reasonable people being driven out of public debates because they stand up to a mob mentality, recognise that happening here at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

In my experience, internet trolls are;

Ugly in appearance and personality

Angry at the world

Unemployed

Feel the world has somehow done them wrong, without realizing that it's just them and not the world

Are mentally ill

talking to people with complex issues such as mental health problems etc, reveals a failure in our social systems to adequately deal with their issues and in many cases our social systems actually exasperates them

Rory28 wrote: »
    The only discussion we should be having is the inadequacy of our justice system.

Agree 100% with this Rory. So lets have that discussion, rather than entertain attacks on him because of his appearance or mental ill-health.

1. You don't think it's hypocritical to bully someone online because they bullied someone online?

2. Not once on this thread have I referred to his awful activities as "trolling".

3. You "attacked" me, by inferring that I was in some way related to the guy. Because you could find no other way of trying to undermine my point of view. Attack the post, not the poster.

Now, any chance we can get back to the topic?

1. Telling someone you are going to murder them and describing it in detail is not bullying, it is threatening and intimidating.

2. Check out the title of the thread you are replying in.

3. If someone breaks the rules report them.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    talking to people with complex issues such as mental health problems etc, reveals a failure in our social systems to adequately deal with their issues and in many cases our social systems actually exasperates them

Is it really society's job to bend to the mentally ill and angry though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is it really society's job to bend to the mentally ill and angry though?

a failure of society to address complex issues such as mental health issues tends to lead to further complexity such as criminality etc, thus creating reactive systems to deal with these issues, id rather try deal with these issues as early as possible in a more proactive manner.

a failure of society to address complex issues such as mental health issues tends to lead to further complexity such as criminality etc, thus creating reactive systems to deal with these issues, id rather try deal with these issues as early as possible in a more proactive manner.

Well, I'll be more in favour of very hefty fines and prison sentences. Having been the target of internet trolls, I've zero sympathy for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I agree. We need a more proactive approach to Mental Health in Ireland. Yes, the HSE is currently under pressure, but over all in needs better management from the top down, allowing for the provision of Primary Care Mental Health Services and a patients ease of access to those services.

My issue also is, education. I see Mental Health as a lesser discussed issue and if we can start discussing it at a younger age, people can begin treating and managing it better, instead of joining in the silence and stigma surrounding the stigma.

• Advertisement

That's not the question I was responding to. Your query was whether the comments were helpful for his mental health.

The question of "what you don't know can't hurt you" is a different one altogether.
    I'm not speaking for, not defending anyone else's comments. Personal abuse of individuals, whether or not they are on boards, is prohibited.

If you feel a comment is abusive (and not just offensive), then fire away and report them.
    Right.

Advertisement