Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet troll says crimes not serious

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

There is free speech and there is death threats. Any death threat must be taken with the utmost seriousness.
    Any 'I was only joking' nonsense being irrelevant.

If a public rep actively uses facebook then they expect some feedback. If they are smart they will listen to the constructive feedback and criticism. Ideally that's how it works but as social media has shown there are a lot of angry, hateful people out there who think they can abuse and harass without consequences.

There are also those like this guy who think they can make death threats and actively harass people. He got off lightly but his comments about his behavior not being that bad makes you think it won't be long until he get's into serious trouble again. While the judge took no previous convictions into the sentence, anymore threats, to anyone and he's in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

II%20GM%20French%201%20Read-Only.jpg

22fj9p.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

Former Boards.ie admin if I’m not mistaken.

True or are you winding us up?

Indo could have used a better picture tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Hope that guy has no access to any sort of rifle

kubrickfmj2.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

kubrickfmj2.jpg

He’ll certainly have a case of the private piles though by the look of him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Don't worry boards have a replacement admin lined up already.

mike_home_office.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

The personal abuse of this poor guy is appalling. What exactly has his appearance got to do with anything, some on here are as guilty of online bullying as this young lad.

He’s been through the courts system, looks like some on here won’t be happy until he’s hounded into an early grave.

Mob justice is no justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

minikin wrote: »
    The personal abuse of this poor guy is appalling. What exactly has his appearance got to do with anything, some on here are as guilty of online bullying as this young lad.

He’s been through the courts system, looks like some on here won’t be happy until he’s hounded into an early grave.

Mob justice is no justice.

The poor cretin getting abused online. Who would do such a thing even if he will never see it?

Rory28 wrote: »
    The poor cretin getting abused online. Who would do such a thing even if he will never see it?

Ah right, so it’s ok to kick people when they’re down, attack the unwell and vulnerable... just so long as it’s done behind their back, that’s a great recipe for a society alright. Bullying 101.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Ah right, so it’s ok to kick people when they’re down, attack the unwell and vulnerable... just so long as it’s done behind their back, that’s a great recipe for a society alright. Bullying 101.

He does not deserve your sympathy.

• Advertisement

He sent death threats and lucky for him the judge decided not to lock him up.

Now people online will make fun of him for a day or two my heart is breaking.

He does not deserve your sympathy.

I’ll decide that thanks, or do you think that decision should be made by a mob too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Malayalam wrote: »
    I must admit at first I laughed out loud. The state of him! He is archetypal.
    But when I read the article, it leaves me confused as to why he was let off so leniently. He caused a terrible amount of distress to that woman, and his comments were just vile. There is something calculated in them too, his description of a weapon, his claim of having passed close to her...there is a devilishness in the details. They do not appear to me to be the ravings of a person who does not know what they are saying, but that's just my take. Some people are bad, not mad, even if we prefer to call them mad. She must have been scared out of her wits.

Don't forget in 2016 a Labour MP got murdered by a similar sort of odd ball.

Social media is great when it comes to politicians because you can call them out when they do a bad job but ****ing hell this is not constructive criticism, its absolutely vile. Poor women. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why do the paper call him an "internet troll"?
    Maybe the article author doesn't really know what an internet troll is but think anyone who uses the means of internet to attack another person is a troll.

He is not a troll but a weird freak posting threatening messages and should be in jail for death threats.

He sent death threats and lucky for him the judge decided not to lock him up.

Now people online will make fun of him for a day or two my heart is breaking.

I’ve no problem with condemning such actions, I just think it’s a better option to judge people on the content of their character rather than the content of their gut or wardrobe.

I’ll decide that thanks, or do you think that decision should be made by a mob too?

Why are you looking for an argument?

Why are you looking for an argument?

Trying to characterise a reasoned discussion as an argument is a strange way of putting your side of the debate.

Trying to characterise a reasoned discussion as an argument is a strange way of putting your side of the debate.

I havent got a side in this "debate". He is a scumbag deserving or ridicule. You can defend him all you like.

I’ve no problem with condemning such actions, I just think it’s a better option to judge people on the content of their character rather than the content of their gut or wardrobe.
    "I'm also going to put bullets up your f***ing a*** and watch you bleed like a river."In another email, seen by the Irish Independent, French refers to a Blaser R93 rifle and states: "I'm going to blow your big f***ing Jew nose right off," adding "nothing better than to fill a rat's mouth with lead".
    "When the time is right I'm not only going to fill your rat's mouth with lead, your rat's mouth is going to be so full of lead it's going to fly out the back of your neck…

"I'm also going to put bullets up your f***ing a*** and watch you bleed like a river."

As regards his appearance if he had of got out away from the computer instead of obsessing over his delusional crap he would not be so fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I won't be having any personal digs at the guy as it's not really my style. Though I can't say I feel sorry for him, he sent very nasty emails that were much worse then even extreme trolling. In my opinion what he sent was just a threat and abuse, not trolling

I think prison would be too strong a punishment for a first time offense but hopefully it sends a strong message.

• Advertisement

I havent got a side in this "debate". He is a scumbag deserving or ridicule. You can defend him all you like.

Let’s not take this off topic! Anyone who takes part in a debate obviously has a ‘side’ in it. His is someone who has acted very unwisely, in a way that does not appear mentally balanced, in a way that deserved to be brought before the justice system... all of this has happened... does he or anyone else who is unwell deserve ridicule or help to be rehabilitated?

I am not defending his actions one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    There is no constitutional protection of free speech. The right to free expression is asserted, but only where it doesn't conflict with "public order and morality".

So you could say that the protection of free speech ends as soon as it leaves your mouth.
    He said, however, that a psychiatric report gave a background of "very deep, underlying and disquieting issues in relation to his mental health" which contributed to "the matters which were regrettably conveyed to Ms Higgins".
    So, his own solicitor says that he's mentally ill, in a very serious way, and the judge sends him off on his merry way.

Seriously, the next step here is this guy putting a bullet in his head. Maybe after he puts one in his mother's.

Why the fnck was he not committed to an institution?

Let’s not take this off topic! Anyone who takes part in a debate obviously has a ‘side’ in it. His is someone who has acted very unwisely, in a way that does not appear mentally balanced, in a way that deserved to be brought before the justice system... all of this has happened... does he or anyone else who is unwell deserve ridicule or help to be rehabilitated?

I am not defending his actions one bit.

On topic. I think the crime he committed is serious and I feel he got off easy.
    He should be locked up or sectioned for the death threats.

He completely deserves ridicule imo. I'm not sure you can rehabilitate being a cancerous troll whos only joy comes from making others uncomfortable/afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Hes a dead ringer for yer man who goes ape**** in Full Metal Jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Keyboard warriors unite to sling pitchforks at Internet troll

THE IRONING IS DELICIOUS ROUND THESE PARTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Dangerous fcuker who deosnt seem to care or have learned from his actions

When asked whether he considered his crimes serious, French replied: "No, not really. It would have been if I went to jail. I suppose it would have been serious then.

On topic. I think the crime he committed is serious and I feel he got off easy.
    He should be locked up or sectioned for the death threats.
    Don't disagree with this sentiment.
    He completely deserves ridicule imo. I'm not sure you can rehabilitate being a cancerous troll whos only joy comes from making others uncomfortable/afraid.
    Disagree with this - how will ridiculing him improve the situation for him or for the target of his threats?
    Of course he can be rehabilitated, he's an unwell individual, not Hannibal Lecter.

Don't disagree with this sentiment.

Disagree with this - how will ridiculing him improve the situation for him or for the target of his threats?
    Of course he can be rehabilitated, he's an unwell individual, not Hannibal Lecter.

Making a mockery of him can certainly help the victim of his threats. Now he is in the cold light of day and being rightly mocked the victim can see that he is not the boogeyman afterall. He is in fact a loser.

I also disagree with the assumption he can be rehabilitated. Some people are just bad.

Making a mockery of him can certainly help the victim of his threats. Now he is in the cold light of day and being rightly mocked the victim can see that he is not the boogeyman afterall. He is in fact a loser.

I also disagree with the assumption he can be rehabilitated. Some people are just bad.

Ok, lets tease this out - he is ridiculed, belittled and shamed (not only for his awful actions but also for his appearance, his mental health and his physical health).

What if this causes him to lose all touch with reality and he goes after Lorraine Higgins for real? (rather than just expressing his obsessive delusions online)
    Will we all be there to disarm him with our keyboards??

I'd suggest that it's best to leave it to the health professionals and the Gardaí and for the rest of us not to enflame the situation. That is the best way of helping Lorraine Higgins, Stephen French and all others concerned - the general public doesn't get its pound of flesh... that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

What if this causes him to lose all touch with reality and he goes after Lorraine Higgins for real?

He'd have a tough time catching her!

Advertisement