Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frampton v Donaire April 21, Belfast

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Donaire clearly faded but still landed heavy shots, but good fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Good fight good to see all three judges were watching the same fight too.

Carl's gas, "some edjet played the wrong song"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Great win

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good fight. Frampton took some hard uppercuts but he deserved the win.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

Good fight good to see all three judges were watching the same fight too.

Carl's gas, "some edjet played the wrong song"
    ..."I hear there was some other boxing show on tonight as well"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Deserved win from Frampton, he will be happy with that overall. He generally stuck to gameplan, although he can't help getting into a tear up every now and again.

I would worry about Frampton next time he's out with someone who can make it to rounds 8/9 onward and be still dangerous, I think he gets a bit ragged down the stretch and don't see this improving as he gets older. His reach will always be at a disadvantage too, at this point I don't fancy his chances with Santa Cruz or Selby, and I don't know enough about Valdez.

I don't mean to sound so negative after a strong win btw. This is just my general impression.

P.S Donaire is a class act, all heart, a gent, never gave up. Well done to both boxers. This was generally entertaining even if it was a shut out on the score cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Frampton is past his best now.

Can see him struggling next 2 years.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Frampton is past his best now.

Can see him struggling next 2 years.

A lobsided victory and he's past his best? It was a great performance, his closing of distance is excellent. Were you watch the same fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Frampton for me is past his best. Not by much, just a step missing...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

pac_man wrote: »
    His mate Paddy Barnes reckons it was the best he ever saw Frampton box. Likewise Adam Booth. Thankfully I'm not the only one that thought there was something missing and I agree with the sentiments above. There's an ever so slight decline in Frampton and for me, last night confirmed that.

I really think he is just a little too small for Featherweight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I think he'll go up another level as he steps up in class again. That was more like it last night.

I hope he doesn't fight Selby though. Could just imagine Carl chasing him around the ring for 12 rounds and getting picked off. Tough fight for him I think.

There's talk of Valdez moving up in weight.

Frampton v Mark Magsayo in Windsor for the WBO title wouldn't shock me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A lobsided victory and he's past his best? It was a great performance, his closing of distance is excellent. Were you watch the same fight?

He is still very good.

But I think he is declining. Donaire a great name be well past his best.

Frampton's engine not as good anymore. Think he will struggle especially late in fights in the future.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He is still very good.

But I think he is declining. Donaire a great name be well past his best.

Frampton's engine not as good anymore. Think he will struggle especially late in fights in the future.

He slowed towards the later rounds alright but I thought that was just a result of taking 4 or 5 clean shots to the chin. His speed, timing and accuracy seemed on point. Thought he was excellent in the middle of the ring getting in and out fast. Only really got caught when he had donaire cornered

The Tete fight was a disgrace!

I've yet to watch this fight but have been told not to bother. Why was it a disgrace?

For action and actual scoring/boxing it was pathetic...

One little man in to simply survive and coast around the ring, the other, lazily following him and throwing the most ineffective and lame punches. This repeated rd after rd...

walshb wrote: »
    For action and actual scoring/boxing it was pathetic...

One little man in to simply survive and coast around the ring, the other, lazily following him and throwing the most ineffective and lame punches. This repeated rd after rd...

That's the best description of it. He was a mandatory then?

That's the best description of it. He was a mandatory then?

A 42 year old blown up has-been flyweight...

Not mandatory...

A 42 year old blown up has-been flyweight...

Not mandatory...

He was mandatory

To get the mandatory position, Narvaez won five fights in a row including an upset seventh round stoppage over undefeated Nikolai Potapov in a final eliminator.

He was mandatory

Holy mother of god....

You are right...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Narvaez looked like a guy haunted by the loss to Inoue. He did the exact same thing against Donaire years ago as well, just came to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Small in terms of weight,height or both? Either way I'm not sure I agree with you. Apart from a fight with Selby who is a freak of nature for that weight, what other fights at featherweight would it be obvious that Frampton is the smaller man.

I just think he lacks a bit of strength, Range and most importantly power at FW.
    Even Donaire looked the bigger man on Saturday.

It could also be that he is simply just on a slight down slope but to me he just doesn't look the same physical specimen at the higher weight.

Not sure on the size debate around Carl. He was very very tight at 122. Boxed at 125 as an amateur 10 years ago.

His body make up and size is what it is. Wide shoulders and strong legs. He is not small for FW in the body size sense. Yes, he is short, but has a decent reach, and ok power at the weight.

Regarding his size/weight vs. the opposition. Well, they are all the same weight. How that is distributed throughout their bodies is what counts. Carl will have his advantages and the likes of Selby, his.

Simply put: He is a natural full blown FW now and over the past few years.

but to me he just doesn't look the same physical specimen at the higher weight.

I agree here.

Also lacking a bit of snap and sharpness.....little more labored in his delivery, as well as a tad slower pulling the trigger, and a tad shier in pulling the trigger.

Carl's peak physical performances were against Kiko in both fights and LSC fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Not sure on the size debate around Carl. He was very very tight at 122. Boxed at 125 as an amateur 10 years ago.

His body make up and size is what it is. Wide shoulders and strong legs. He is not small for FW in the body size sense. Yes, he is short, but has a decent reach, and ok power at the weight.

Regarding his size/weight vs. the opposition. Well, they are all the same weight. How that is distributed throughout their bodies is what counts. Carl will have his advantages and the likes of Selby, his.

Simply put: He is a natural full blown FW now and over the past few years.

I'd agree Carl is a decent sized FW but his reach is not decent, it is tragically poor.

I'd agree Carl is a decent sized FW but his reach is not decent, it is tragically poor.

Arm reach/length isn't great. But he has wide shoulders and uses them very well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

The Tete fight was a disgrace!

It was awful. I was amazed that the crowd weren't making more noise about it. I would rarely say this but Narvaez nearly deserved to lose some of his purse over it. He didn't try a leg all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

The Tete fight was terrible. We were sitting there saying how can Tete think he's putting a show on and Navarez not throw a punch until the 11th round

Advertisement