Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Heard initial quantity of the Kia e-Niro to arrive (for 192 deliveries in Ireland) will be less than 38 apparently, for the whole of Ireland.

Thats has to be the demo models, not their sales allocation.

And of course the demo models will be the "initial quantity".

38 in total would make zero sense as that wouldnt be worth the dealers effort in getting tooled and trained on it to sell one car each for the year..... has to be demo models, not full allocation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

KCross wrote: »

38 in total would make zero sense as that wouldnt be worth the dealers effort in getting tooled and trained on it to sell one car each for the year..... has to be demo models, not full allocation.

But Kia have had this issue before with the Sportage. I know a new model arrived around 2012 I think. I went in for test drive on the Navan road. More or less told I was wasting my time, I could go for a test drive but if I wanted the car I might get one next year.....

That has happened a few times with them from what I have heard, that was the only time I seen it actually happen

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Absolutely KCross - you could be right - I appreciate that.

I'm just sharing what a dealer told me over last weekend & he used full allocation in that figure of 38 to me & mentioned out of that 38 , some would then be taken as demo / press cars etc..(If right - less than 38 for whole country for sale etc..).

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You have to remember from a dealers point of view go back 3-4 months ago and none of them wanted the e-Niro in Ireland at all. So when they got asked if they would sell it you probably got very little uptake

When I talked to dealer all they wanted to talk about was the PHEV, said Kia Ireland would never bring in the e-Niro because they never brought in the Soul. Also gave line about Ireland not fit yet for electric cars blah blah blah

Go back over this thread and every Kia dealer in Ireland had the same old story. Most didn't even know Kia would release a e-Niro.

Based on my own repeated personal interactions with 2 different Kia dealerships between June & October this year, what you say is exactly what I found in terms of the attitude towards the Niro BEV or EV's in general.

Appeared to me like total disinterest, lack of knowledge or appreciation for what may be coming down the line whether or not they like it. Almost in denial about EVs etc..(It won't be overnight change to EVs at all - I know that, but strategically it could be beneficial for a dealer longer term to at least begin to appreciate/understand & be aware of EVs when a potential customer wants to engage about buying one. They could gain a positive a reputation quickly as the 'Go To' EV Dealer for a brand if they were smart about it etc.)

Again I'm not saying all dealers are like this just the ones I interacted with. Presuming it not just isolated to Kia Dealers (the attitude / lack of support / seeming disinterest in promoting EVs or being a 'dealer ahead of the curve' for EVs).

Again I'm not saying all dealers are like this just the ones I interacted with. Presuming it not just isolated to Kia Dealers (the attitude / lack of support / seeming disinterest in promoting EVs or being a 'dealer ahead of the curve' for EVs).

Please note you get exact same attitude from VW dealers. This is starting to change because VW are shoving it down to them.

When I bought the eGolf I rang my Audi/VW dealer. He wouldn't even quote me an eGolf> I told him I wouldn't buy anything else and they sent me a quote for GTE :mad:

I have since talked to 2-3 dealers and some of them had no idea a eGolf was even part of the range. So it is not just Kia to be singled out.

• Advertisement

Absolutely KCross - you could be right - I appreciate that.

I'm just sharing what a dealer told me over last weekend & he used full allocation in that figure of 38 to me & mentioned out of that 38 , some would then be taken as demo / press cars etc..(If right - less than 38 for whole country for sale etc..).

Dealer replied to me just now with...
    "We are due to have demo models in for Q1 and orders to be taken from Q2 of next year."

That still means Q3 customer deliveries (i.e. 192) but they do seem to have an early delivery of demo models first. I'm betting thats the 38 with a bigger batch arriving for Q3 for customers.

Its poor show from Kia Ireland. Why cant they be part of the first wave like the UK.

The Leaf is still really the only car you can buy in volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,137 ✭✭✭✭unkel

When I bought the eGolf I rang my Audi/VW dealer. He wouldn't even quote me an eGolf

In fairness that was not the dealer's fault. There were only 2 VAG dealers in the country authorised to sell the eGolf. Blame VAG Ireland!

unkel wrote: »
    In fairness that was not the dealer's fault. There were only 2 VAG dealers in the country authorised to sell the eGolf. Blame VAG Ireland!

Is it not up to each dealer to decide if they want to train and tool up for EV's?

It seems to me the dealers didnt want to sell the eGolf as there wasnt enough margin in it to justify the investment.

Is it not up to each dealer to decide if they want to train and tool up for EV's?

It seems to me the dealers didnt want to sell the eGolf as there wasnt enough margin in it to justify the investment.

This is my understanding. When I rang them, it wasn't they couldn't sell it

They told me they hadn't trained up the service department yet to deal with the eGolf so they didn't sell it.....

Nope they were telling porky pies. I heard it directly from the mouth of the VAG Ireland director of communications. Only Blackwater Cork and Liffey Valley were allowed to sell the eGolf. The main reason was there were never really much more than a handful eGolfs available. They just weren't being produced. The car was loss making. It was only a token EV offering (and a remarkably good one at that imho).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nope they were telling porky pies. I heard it directly from the mouth of the VAG Ireland director of communications. Only Blackwater Cork and Liffey Valley were allowed to sell the eGolf. The main reason was there were never really much more than a handful eGolfs available. They just weren't being produced. The car was loss making. It was only a token EV offering (and a remarkably good one at that imho).
    I thought Kearys in cork also sold them.

Nope, here is the horse himself:

Linky

Maybe it is different now though, but this was the position a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

I'm just blown away by how much Irish people get screwed on everything, including cars.

Bought a TV from Amazon UK. This year's model, 4k, smart functions etc, €350. Best you can get in Ireland is an old 2k model from the same manufacturer, and it's €400.

Even if/when the eNiro is available here I wouldn't buy one on principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

Latest response from my dealer friend

Sorry for not getting back sooner Specs and delivery to be announced in Jan/feb we are not expecting the car until end of March we are just getting the mid range 275km initially and waiting on 480km version later on in the year

Not looking great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭creedp

kuro68k wrote: »
    I'm just blown away by how much Irish people get screwed on everything, including cars.

Bought a TV from Amazon UK. This year's model, 4k, smart functions etc, €350. Best you can get in Ireland is an old 2k model from the same manufacturer, and it's €400.

Do you own a car? Where did you buy it? Unless you import your car you'll find that most new cars sold here come in basic spec and it costs a pretty penny to add on what many people would expect to be available as standard. No surprise that a UK import normally comes with a much higher spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

If you are waiting 9 months at least, might as well see what 2020 brings :/

Ok, not trying to be argumentative but you do understand the basic of business? profit etc?

Ireland is smaller market so profit per product had to be higher to keep you in business
    UK is larger market so you expect to sell more so profit per item is less....

Let say everyone single person in Ireland buys a TV....that is a total of 4-5 million customers.....lets say everyone in London buys the same TV that is over 8 million customer....one city is more or less double the Irish market

creedp wrote: »
    Do you own a car? Where did you buy it? Unless you import your car you'll find that most new cars sold here come in basic spec and it costs a pretty penny to add on what many people would expect to be available as standard. No surprise that a UK import normally comes with a much higher spec

Yeah, my current car is from the UK where I used to live. Shocked at how bad it is here in Ireland.
    Ok, not trying to be argumentative but you do understand the basic of business? profit etc?

Of course but for example that TV was from Amazon UK. Even with the £6.00 delivery and the €6.50 currency exchange charge it was much cheaper and much better spec, so why do people keep buying stuff from Irish retailers who are screwing them?

Aside from the PCP issue I can't see why anyone within a couple of hours drive of the border would not just drive up there and get a better car for less money. Do Irish dealers refuse to service UK bought cars or something?

You are in the EU, for now so is the UK, it's supposed to be easy.

Sorry if I sound upset, I really am. Was really looking forward to this car. Between the availability, the price and the lack of charging infrastructure it's just a massive disappointment.

Of course but for example that TV was from Amazon UK. Even with the £6.00 delivery and the €6.50 currency exchange charge it was much cheaper and much better spec, so why do people keep buying stuff from Irish retailers who are screwing them?

They don't! Well less and less so. Why do you think Bezos is the richest person on the planet? :)

Yeah, my current car is from the UK where I used to live. Shocked at how bad it is here in Ireland.

Aside from the PCP issue I can't see why anyone within a couple of hours drive of the border would not just drive up there and get a better car for less money. Do Irish dealers refuse to service UK bought cars or something?

You are in the EU, for now so is the UK, it's supposed to be easy.

Sorry if I sound upset, I really am. Was really looking forward to this car. Between the availability, the price and the lack of charging infrastructure it's just a massive disappointment.

Ok you are new to Ireland so we will let you off. Everyone did go to North. The Sainsbury in Enniskillen at one stage had the biggest turnover of all the Sainsburys in the whole of UK....but then the shops across the border figured this out and just pumped up their price.....hence why it is kind of pointless to go over the border anymore....unless you are really doing a specific run....a few years ago the teachers went on strike and the road to Newry was blocked for the day as they all went shopping :-) that is all gone now

Amazon is hardly a comparison to your high street shop in UK. Most of the Irish stores are really just UK ones moved over, so you will have the exact same model in the UK store, so not sure what point is?

Yes you can buy from Amazon, and plenty of people do....but as mentioned, it is the exact same process in the UK

People buy local in Ireland the same way people in UK buy local...to keep job for their families/children etc....they got so upset in the UK about not uying local they decided to get out of Europe....we haven't gone that far YET:D. Watch any of the programs about Brexit and they will say once it comes in the UK buyer will have less options but will have to buy UK so it is better for country,.......

In regards to the car, well according to Hyundai ireland because they picked a single spec they can get supply quicker, if they went with multiple option then supply would be longer, they are saying 12 months in UK? no idea if correct but that was posted,......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

....but then the shops across the border figured this out and just pumped up their price.....hence why it is kind of pointless to go over the border anymore....unless you are really doing a specific run....
    This is news to me. I live in Donegal, 2 miles from the border.

Never in a million years would I shop in Donegal for anything significant. Costs a bloody fortune. Standard weekly grocery shop would be at least 30% more expensive.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    This is news to me. I live in Donegal, 2 miles from the border.

Never in a million years would I shop in Donegal for anything significant. Costs a bloody fortune. Standard weekly grocery shop would be at least 30% more expensive.

Donegal is different as too far up from Dublin, head to Newry and the shop prices are very similar to what you would pay in Dublin/

Even Enniskillen is not a huge saving anymore.

Lets say I want to do a shop, it would take 1 hour to Newry and 1 hour back. Fuel costs of diesel would be 20 euro or so. Do a big shop and head home. I wouldn't have save anything really. Especially if you go for named items and not their own brand.

Maybe if buying big items and you have a set plan it might be worth it, but not for weekly shop which is what used to happen.

it would take 1 hour to Newry and 1 hour back. Fuel costs of diesel would be 20 euro or so.

Plus 4 tolls. Mind in an EV with zero fuel costs and 75% discount on the M50 toll (and 50% on the other tolls) it would probably still save you money :D

Plus 4 tolls. Mind in an EV with zero fuel costs and 75% discount on the M50 toll (and 50% on the other tolls) it would probably still save you money :D

Especially if (like I can for instance) you can drive there and back in an EV without wasting time charging.

Some fairly reliable chargers on the M1 though, aren't there? At about 225km it's too far from the Dublin area to Newry and back in any current EV (except Teslas) at motorway speeds, but in a car like Ioniq one 15 minute stop at any of those fast chargers will do the job

If I am going up then I am going big....so big boot required,......hence the Transit, sorry Galaxy, is the vehicle of choice....

Some fairly reliable chargers on the M1 though, aren't there? At about 225km it's too far from the Dublin area to Newry and back in any current EV (except Teslas) at motorway speeds, but in a car like Ioniq one 15 minute stop at any of those fast chargers will do the job
    Yes there's 3 on the M1 I think but are often OOO. Luckily it's 205km round trip from my house to Newry and back (I went there not so long ago after getting the home charger installed actually) and that's pretty doable in the Ioniq on the motorway.

Ok you are new to Ireland so we will let you off. Everyone did go to North. The Sainsbury in Enniskillen at one stage had the biggest turnover of all the Sainsburys in the whole of UK....but then the shops across the border figured this out and just pumped up their price.....

So it's screwed the people in the North as well. That's terrible.
    Amazon is hardly a comparison to your high street shop in UK. Most of the Irish stores are really just UK ones moved over, so you will have the exact same model in the UK store, so not sure what point is?

In the UK the high street shops are somewhat competitive with Amazon. Typically might might save £10-20 on Amazon but you also have to get it delivered and be in to sign for it. The high street shops usually give you a 5 year warranty on TVs too.

In the UK I bought a few TVs from places like John Lewis and Richer Sounds, always checked the online prices of course. I guess being large items the shipping costs are always going to limit how much cheaper online can be.
    People buy local in Ireland the same way people in UK buy local...to keep job for their families/children etc....they got so upset in the UK about not uying local they decided to get out of Europe....

The main problem with the UK high street is that they are all clones. Same chain shops everywhere, nothing of much interest to make you go there. Combine that with expensive parking and it's no wonder they are dying off.

In fact the best shops are usually the EU ones, especially the Polish supermarkets.
    In regards to the car, well according to Hyundai ireland because they picked a single spec they can get supply quicker, if they went with multiple option then supply would be longer, they are saying 12 months in UK? no idea if correct but that was posted,......

Latest I have from the UK is still on for early next year, with orders starting late this year. If there is only one spec it will be the top Super Duper Premium 64kWh one.

When the Kona launched all specs were available from the start in the UK.

Latest I have from the UK is still on for early next year, with orders starting late this year. If there is only one spec it will be the top Super Duper Premium 64kWh one.

When the Kona launched all specs were available from the start in the UK.

42 Weeks lead time in UK for new orders for any new Kona EV shown on Hyundai UK Online Ordering Site when I checked..(this morning..)

• Advertisement

42 Weeks lead time in UK for new orders for any new Kona EV shown on Hyundai UK Online Ordering Site when I checked..(this morning..)

Better off waiting for a 2020 plate:P

Advertisement