Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of an off-topic thread?

• 08-01-2018 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Like in all the other major subs. I'd imagine it will still be mostly crpyto oriented but for some small questions and stuff people might have that doesn't deserve it;s own thread and just general banter on stupid stuff.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

In the spirit of being on topic for an off topic thread :)

180108.blockchain.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah good idea. Just to say it's great to see this forum really taking off and I think its going to become a very valuable place - with great advice and a bit of craic too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I have a question about Blockchain so may as well put it in this thread.

Can you have a decentralized blockchain without an associated crypocurrency or token? For a blockchain to be truly decentralized there needs to be multiple nodes all working to add to the blockchain and verifying all blocks. To incentivise nodes to do this work there needs to be a reward e.g. new coins or fees in the crypocurrency.

So I see blockchain a lot in the tech news and on twitter etc so just curious for decentralized blockchain does there always need to be an associated crypocurrency?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Wish I had got into crypto earlier...even jusr a few months ago.

The gains across the past few months has been huge. I'm at a loss yet. Have the 3 on coinbase and want to buy xrb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Wish I had got into crypto earlier...even jusr a few months ago.

The gains across the past few months has been huge. I'm at a loss yet. Have the 3 on coinbase and want to buy xrb too.

Anyone who has been in it a while is saying that there's plenty more big runs to come so be patient. The guys who bought bitcoin at 1000 wish they got in at 50 etc etc.

The worst thing you can do in my opinion is hop around from coin to coin. Pick your coins and sit on them, have some spare to jump on something you hear about that may moon but definitely try not to move money away from your favorite one.

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    Anyone who has been in it a while is saying that there's plenty more big runs to come so be patient. The guys who bought bitcoin at 1000 wish they got in at 50 etc etc.

The worst thing you can do in my opinion is hop around from coin to coin. Pick your coins and sit on them, have some spare to jump on something you hear about that may moon but definitely try not to move money away from your favorite one.

Hopefully. :)

I'm pretty content with the 3 coinbase ones and waiting the last few days for coinbase to send eth to kucoin so I can buy xrb.

I'll leave that for a while then unless something comes up in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

I had a thought last night that in the near future every country is going to create their own crypto for their public to use. The euro and dollar and most current currency will be gone and will basically be modified to each countries crypto...tourists would technically be using it if they use their card within the country as thats the tender of the country and when they make a transaction the crypto from their own country (or whatever is in their account) will be exchanged for that countries crypto but at the exchange rate. So UK crypto might be worth more than polish crypto etc
    Would that be possible? Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I had a thought last night that in the near future every country is going to create their own crypto for their public to use. The euro and dollar and most current currency will be gone and will basically be modified to each countries crypto...tourists would technically be using it if they use their card within the country as thats the tender of the country and when they make a transaction the crypto from their own country (or whatever is in their account) will be exchanged for that countries crypto but at the exchange rate. So UK crypto might be worth more than polish crypto etc
    Would that be possible? Thoughts?

This article posted in another thread: https://hackernoon.com/what-will-bitcoin-look-like-in-twenty-years-7e75481a798c pretty much predicts that in point 2 Government Cryptocurrencies will Flourish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

What the heck does FUD mean?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Sabre0001 wrote:
    What the heck does FUD mean?

Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

• Advertisement

This article posted in another thread: https://hackernoon.com/what-will-bitcoin-look-like-in-twenty-years-7e75481a798c pretty much predicts that in point 2 Government Cryptocurrencies will Flourish

could you be a clever little sh!te and create a crypto for a country now and then when the time comes that that country decide to create theres, theyd have to buy it off you? pretty much just taking the name as they could create one no bother but the name of it would be the golden ticket. like that kid that took the domain name for smarties as his email years ago and they have to pay him to get it

• Since many of us have given this guy a fortune in fees and have a bit of our money sitting on his exchange, allow me to introduce the uninitiated to Binance CEO Zhao Chang Peng. I believe this was his first Western television interview (he's been on You Tube before though), conducted last night;

He speaks very well IMO, and gives a good, brief insight into Binance. The interviewer seems to ask the harder questions, thankfully, rather than give him an easy time. He came through it quite well and instilled some confidence in me as someone who does 100% of my trading on his exchange.

I would like to see Binance lower their fees, and deal with the 'dust' which is left in our wallets on their exchange in a more customer-rewarding way. I must have about $20-30 of it. They have to be making a fortune alone off that wallet dust.

Also, although I'm not one of them I do feel bad for those who are bleeding TRX fees on Binance in the hope of picking up that TRX wallet bonus. That whole thing, although working for some, is incredibly vague and although it's not Binance's fault, they are making a killing with the fees in the process.

Since many of us have given this guy a fortune in fees and have a bit of our money sitting on his exchange, allow me to introduce the uninitiated to Binance CEO Zhao Chang Peng. I believe this was his first Western television interview (he's been on You Tube before though), conducted last night;

He speaks very well IMO, and gives a good, brief insight into Binance. The interviewer seems to ask the harder questions, thankfully, rather than give him an easy time. He came through it quite well and instilled some confidence in me as someone who does 100% of my trading on his exchange.

I would like to see Binance lower their fees, and deal with the 'dust' which is left in our wallets on their exchange in a more customer-rewarding way. I must have about $20-30 of it. They have to be making a fortune alone off that wallet dust.

Also, although I'm not one of them I do feel bad for those who are bleeding TRX fees on Binance in the hope of picking up that TRX wallet bonus. That whole thing, although working for some, is incredibly vague and although it's not Binance's fault, they are making a killing with the fees in the process.

I lost 200 trx out of the 300 i had making the transaction from binance to TRX and back again.

If we could maybe put all the bits we have into one of the main cryptos as left overs it will certainly make difference

As a noob, is this downturn normal in crypto? My whole portfolio is down 25%.

The prices recover but they don't recover fully and then dip again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I lost 200 trx out of the 300 i had making the transaction from binance to TRX and back again.

If we could maybe put all the bits we have into one of the main cryptos as left overs it will certainly make difference

Let me get this straight.
    You had a total of 300 TRX?
    Spent 200 TRX in fee's in the hope of doubling your holding?
    The gain available after charges was 100TRX, would you not have just purchased the TRX?

The wallet swapping only makes sense if the amount being traded is
    i) Doubled on the Tron wallet in the 1st instance, and unfortunately it was a seemingly random doubling.
    ii) The amount sent is large enough that any fees are absorbed by the "free TRX"
    iii) The amount of TRX gained offsets the resultant dip in price likely due to increased exchange supply.

Even at the cheapest it was a 30TRX fee to transfer out from Binance and a 100TRX fee to transfer back in(And fees are now 95 out and a 100 back in)

I can't see what benefit incurring those fees on a 300 token is over just purchasing outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Cripto values swing massively all the time.
    Just look up the price graphs over the past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Drumorig

Ye, you just have to ride it out & hope your coins are good. Don't start dumping things panicking, look closer & what your holding & why your holding them.

imo if your looking for quick gains trading in & out of stuff forget it, you'll lose.

Drumorig wrote: »
    Ye, you just have to ride it out & hope your coins are good. Don't start dumping things panicking, look closer & what your holding & why your holding them.

imo if your looking for quick gains trading in & out of stuff forget it, you'll lose.

I have the big 3 on coinbase

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

For any holders of Cardano ADA, Charles Hoskinson just gave a video update on their future road-map plans, and some other good information for the coming months. His team is definitely going to be busy, that's for sure. ADA at the moment is a good time to buy, but I think it will not drop below 56 cent. Here's Charles Hoskinson's new vid...

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Drumorig

I have the big 3 on coinbase
    ye perfectly normal, they don't call it volatile for nothing, give it a few weeks/months and you'll be well in the green hopefully.

Kraken still down, where back in hour became back in two hours etc... now talking about some time after 9am this morning. The string of missed times and matching excuses doesn't really inspire confidence. I wonder have they tried turning it off and turning it on again?
    We are close but rather than launch immediately ahead of the team passing out, we will push off a bit to get some rest and be able to better monitor systems and react to problems following launch. Unfortunately, this means several more hours of delay. We do not have a definite time but it will not be before 9:00AM UTC (1:00AM PT).
    Posted about 4 hours ago. Jan 12, 2018 - 03:46 UTC

edit: And pushed back again, wonder will they be back up by Monday?
    We are still working on the upgrade and may be offline for several more hours. Will provide another update when we get closer to coming back online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I get the feeling Kraken isnt coming back.

dashoonage wrote: »
    I get the feeling Kraken isnt coming back.

Is it gone to Davey Jones's locker?

Sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Hi,
    I have a grasp of nearly everything now after a big learning curve in the crypto world, but I have one remaining concern and it relates to Eth wallets.

is there any way to check if an eth wallet address is eth-20 compatible, or not?

I am starting to purchase coins on ICO's and have a couple that I need to transfer out.

I have generated a MyEtherWallet address, and also Eidoo Wallet address, but not too sure if I can use these for etc-20 tokens (99% sure Eidoo is OK but no harm asking) and I believe if you use the wrong type of Eth address (say off your Exchange) then your etc-20 tokens are pretty much lost.

Also, i believe that an eth-20 wallet may not show a certain coin initially in your wallet, but you can force it somehow.

thanks in advance

T

(ps) I have also used Etherdelta but thats a whole different discussion:eek:

Apparently they were close to been back a few hours ago but then decided to get some sleep...and now its going to be several hours before they are up again.

I'm reading that as their flight to south america was delayed and they wont have wifi again until they land.

I have generated a MyEtherWallet address, and also Eidoo Wallet address, but not too sure if I can use these for etc-20 tokens (99% sure Eidoo is OK but no harm asking) and I believe if you use the wrong type of Eth address (say off your Exchange) then your etc-20 tokens are pretty much lost.

Pretty sure Myetherwallet is ERC-20 as ERC-20 was needed for Krypterium tokens and Myetherwallet was the wallet they recommended (and the one I ended up using). More info here; https://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/35126/how-to-store-erc-20-tokens-on-myetherwallet

dashoonage wrote: »
    I'm reading that as their flight to south america was delayed and they wont have wifi again until they land.

Ah crap, looks like I'll be doing some hodling until the extradition orders get served ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭lostboy75

Also, i believe that an eth-20 wallet may not show a certain coin initially in your wallet, but you can force it somehow.

Adding a custom coin is relatively straight forward on mew, in fact some of the ICOs give you the info on how to add them under their faq section

• Advertisement

Looks like the boys have landed in South america.
    We are still working to resolve the issues that we have identified and our team is working around the clock to ensure a smooth upgrade.

This means it may still take several hours before we can relaunch the site.
    Posted 34 minutes ago. Jan 12, 2018 - 12:05 UTC

Advertisement