Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭robinwing

Ordered one from Satworld with a 1TB drive , will it work ok on my existing Sky dish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

robinwing wrote: »
    Ordered one from Satworld with a 1TB drive , will it work ok on my existing Sky dish ?

Provided it's not a Sky Q dish yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭robinwing

Provided it's not a Sky Q dish yes.

Its only Sky + I have and i have the dish for many years so that's a relief:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

I got a Tiviar recently. It came set up and ready to go (thanks to Michael in Freesat.ie) I’m really happy with it, it’s been very straightforward to use. The 7 day epg, pausing tv, & recording has improved our FTA viewing experience no end.

I’d appreciate some help on trouble shooting connecting my NAS which has some home videos I’d like to watch through the Tiviar.

The box is running OpenATV 6.0. I mounted the network (thanks Wicklow Gerry). Samba, MiniDLNA, uShare are running. The Media Scanner plugin can see the NAS, however it says there are “No displayable files on this medium found” (it says the same for the internal drive as well even though it’s working fine). The Media Player plug-in can see the internal drive but not the NAS. And the Device Information page says there are no Network Servers connected.

I wonder if I need to install some additional plugins. Any suggestions much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Openatv 6.0 is very old as newer versions are 6.3 and 6.4.
    I might advise in upgrading to a later supported image with working plugins.
    Nas can used if samba is used on box and nas is mounted to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

greasepalm wrote: »

Are you sure it's 6.0? My own image others on here are using is 6.2 and it's 2 years old. 6.0 is from 2017 and is really outdated now.

It might depend who put the image on box as we all know there are archived files around and can be used on older boxes,but best with latest for your model.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phil49

Hi There just a question,
    whenever I boot up my Tiviar from deep standby I seem to get a different IP address ie 192.168.1.3-7.
    Is there any way to lock it on say 192.168.1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

phil49 wrote: »
    Hi There just a question,
    whenever I boot up my Tiviar from deep standby I seem to get a different IP address ie 192.168.1.3-7.
    Is there any way to lock it on say 192.168.1.4

Turn off dhcp

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

Thanks for the reply.

Would anyone have a download link for OpenATV 6.2 (to install for NewClareman's image)? I can only find a link to 6.3.

Thanks
    greasepalm wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Ladder22 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Would anyone have a download link for OpenATV 6.2 (to install for NewClareman's image)? I can only find a link to 6.3.

Thanks

NCM's image is here but you're as well to wait a few days as he's testing a new version
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057925678

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

I have an odd volume problem. The Tiviar remote controls the volume OK on the Saorview channels but not the satellite ones. This just started to happen this evening. I have rebooted the box a couple of times and have also upgraded the plugins. I have even upgraded the image online to the latest 6.3 version image (20200113), but nothing has restored the volume control. The TV remote continues to function as normal.

Even more oddly, the mute/unmute button on the Tiviar remote will work on all channels, both Saorview and satellite.

On boxes i leave it at max setting and use tv remote for volume control.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

Lads what's the story with the viewer advisory message coming up on all the Saorview channels instead of the programme guide.
    I've tried a few things but can't get rid of it.
    Any help will be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Lads what's the story with the viewer advisory message coming up on all the Saorview channels instead of the programme guide.
    I've tried a few things but can't get rid of it.
    Any help will be much appreciated.

You need to retune your receiver to use the new frequencies for your transmitter.

You need to retune your receiver to use the new frequencies for your transmitter.
    Thanks but how do I do that? I've tried a few things but don't want to mess with the settings too much (when I don't know what I'm doing)
    According to Saorview I was using channels 45, 49 but now it should be 45, 39
    Polarization is H and direction is West 252 degrees.
    If someone can tell me the steps it would save me anymore ear bashing from my good woman :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

Its long winded but try this menu, setup, service searching, manual tuning, toggle to tuner C, then arrow down to change prefefined to user defined, its a toggle, then down to channel , change channel to 39 press green, then green, job done.

swoofer wrote: »
    Its long winded but try this menu, setup, service searching, manual tuning, toggle to tuner C, then arrow down to change prefefined to user defined, its a toggle, then down to channel , change channel to 39 press green, then green, job done.

Not long winded at all. Worked perfectly thanks for your help.

Not long winded at all. Worked perfectly thanks for your help.

Looks like I spoke too soon.
    Viewer Advisory keeps coming back on the Saorview channels.
    Should I clear before scan when I do it?

viewer etc should only appear when wrong frequency is still used. do you know your transmitter name?

• Advertisement

swoofer wrote: »
    viewer etc should only appear when wrong frequency is still used. do you know your transmitter name?

It’s Spur Hill

Just scan both again, ie 45 and 39 enter them individually. Or you can do an automatic scan BUT make sure you say no to the satellite tuners and yes to the DTT and no to cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wishbone

Hi folks

I have a tiviar plus box and have recorded on it. Works great!
    I have set it up as a DLNA Server and can view the movies from my Smart Samsung TV in another room via a DLNA app. I have also copied the mpg file onto a usb stick and am able to watch it on the mother's TV. But what is odd is that for most of the recordings (and it appears the RTE ones are not affected), I have the narrator for the visually impaired, I’d prefer not to have this. Is there a setting somewhere I’m missing? If I watch the movies on the tivar plus box I don’t have the narrator.

Thanks
    Wishbone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Whatever device you are watching on should offer the option to select which audio track you hear. The .TS files from a Tiviar (or any enigma box) contains all the audio tracks as broadcast. You should have the Tiviar set to default to English and that's what you hear. However another TV will just play the first track it finds unless you tell it otherwise. RTE are not affected simply because a lot of their content doesn't have the audio description.
    The TV remote should have a button marked AUDIO or AD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I find that some of the transmissions have the audio streams in one order while other transmissions have them reversed.
    I need to change some channels regularly.
    SWMBO like the NAR audio because it allows her to follow without watching at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've a slight problem with the box.

When I hit the up/down arrow for the channel list it takes a few seconds to come up. Then if I scroll up or down it's very laggy. Say if i press down 3 times nothing happens for a few secs, then it jumps down 3 spaces.

Also sometimes when watching something the wee circle in the top left comes on for a few seconds.

I assume it's working overtime in tha background.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Can you describe your set up in a bit more detail, say HDD and where you have epg stored? Then put better batteries in the remote, I use duracell ultra power. You could try taking out batteries and swopping them round. Have you timeshift permanently on. Spinner means box is processing something.

Have you tried a hard reboot, ie switch at back? Are you on the THHB image?

Thanks, SW.

Swapped the batteries. It didn't make any difference to scrolling the channel list. The box is in use at the minute so I'll do a reboot later.

It's the THHB image with 1TB HDD. When I set up I remember putting EPG on there but it's so long I can't remember how. I'll have a look through opwnwebif and see if I can find anything there.

Edit. OpenWebif says EPG location /media/USB

Timeshift : Automatically start timeshift after 2mins.

I'm guessing that should be on "Disabled" If so I don't know how it got changed. I don't remember changing it. Does that mean it's probably clogging my HDD as well.

• Advertisement

Do you have a usb stick and hdd fitted as i used to have my epg to usb and recordings to hdd.
    You could see 2 storage devices ext 4 listed.
    I never found a use for timeshift.

Advertisement