Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Productive Waste Of Time

Options
  • 06-01-2018 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

I oftentimes struggle to find productive ways of wasting my time.

It is easy to fall into the realm of 'bread and circuses'.

Too much of my free time is taken up or given over to internet, television among other things.

Now that the new year is upon me I will look for productive ways to waste my time.

Obviously the new year doesn't have to be the time of making resolutions to change, you can chose to that at any time, on a monday, the start of the week, a friday, the end of the week.

It's up to you.

Anyone got any useful suggestions for new hobbies I could take up or how to spend my free time productively?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

imme wrote: »
    I oftentimes struggle to find productive ways of wasting my time.

It is easy to fall into the realm of 'bread and circuses'.

Too much of my free time is taken up or given over to internet, television among other things.

Now that the new year is upon me I will look for productive ways to waste my time.

Obviously the new year doesn't have to be the time of making resolutions to change, you can chose to that at any time, on a monday, the start of the week, a friday, the end of the week.

It's up to you.

Anyone got any useful suggestions for new hobbies I could take up or how to spend my free time productively?
    Have children. You'll never have to worry about having free time again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Learn a language.
    Learn to draw / paint.
    Learn to play an instrument.
    Woodworking.
    DIY.
    Build a PC.
    Read a book a week.

To name a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

imme wrote: »
    World of Warcraft!

I'm a level 60 wizard, women love me and men envy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Crochet.

Time passes, and at the end you have fantastic things..sometimes/ usually.
    Here..this is a pattern I followed last year. Guaranteed to be a productive waste of time. You can listen to podcasts or youtube documentaries at the same time to be doubly productive and the resulting item is flipping awesome.
    Scroll down for part 1 to start, choose your own colours and nice wool, agus ar aghaidh leat ansin....
    http://www.crystalsandcrochet.com/crochet/category/mandala-madness/
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Reading would be one, something I'll hopefully be doing more often this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I took into growing chilli plants a few years back. Really therapeutic and by summer you can have some fabulous plants and unreal colours. Not to mention the chillies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Definitely reading non-fiction, which can lead to an interest in new topics.

Fishing, gardening, motor mechanics, bird watching, line dancing, golf, art, photography, exercise... the list is endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Have a ****.Ultimate waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Definitely reading non-fiction, which can lead to an interest in new topics.

Fishing, gardening, motor mechanics, bird watching, line dancing, golf, art, photography, exercise... the list is endless.

And there is a whole world away from AH on Boards to have interesting discussions on all of these subjects. With no cruel Mods to interfere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And there is a whole world away from AH on Boards to have interesting discussions on all of these subjects. With no cruel Mods to interfere.

No sure what you're getting at there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I keep a few sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Get yourself a decent set of binoculars. It's good way of getting to know the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Reading would be one, something I'll hopefully be doing more often this year

Double up, listen to an audiobook while doing somthing else with your hands. As suggested, crochet maby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I keep a few sheep

Are you presuming OP is unmarried or otherwise unattached? Even so, probably illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

Are you presuming OP is unmarried or otherwise unattached? Even so, probably illegal.

Nope, he genuinely tends to a flock of sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

Yoga, reading, walks, knitting, baking, cooking.

I promise myself that I'll take a woodworking class at some point, would love to make something substantial myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Archeron

Start a cult and get your followers to build you a spaceship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Get the area volume of your kitchen.
    Work out how many skittles will fit.
    Now, calculate the void of space remaining between each skittle.
    Send an email to skittles highlighting the work, stress and sleepless nights involved in your task.
    Await reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Have a ****.Ultimate waste of time

If you really want to waste time take up smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

duvetdayss wrote: »
    Nope, he genuinely tends to a flock of sheep

Tenderly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Don't know whether the OP is male / female, or his / her interests, but you have to be interested in something?
    You'll know best yourself what suits.

When I retired I was in the same boat and I took up writing, as it's something I always wanted to do.
    (How folks laughed when I told them I was writing a book!)

I've since written seven, and won an International Writing award two years ago.
    (They don't laugh anymore!)

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Don't know whether the OP is male / female, or his / her interests, but you have to be interested in something?
    You'll know best yourself what suits.

When I retired I was in the same boat and I took up writing, as it's something I always wanted to do.
    (How folks laughed when I told them I was writing a book!)

I've since written seven, and won an International Writing award two years ago.
    (They don't laugh anymore!)

Wowser! Congratulations and well done!

I think I'm great if I write a coherent shopping list. :(

My point is, there's something everybody can do well and I suppose self motivation is the key that will 'unlock' us, or lack thereof will hold us back.

We ALL have a talent, of some description.

Maybe it's a hidden talent? Then, it's up to ourselves to find it.

Make 2018 a voyage of (self) discovery!
    Go for it...

Some of us have hidden talents that are really, really well hidden. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Oldtree wrote: »
    Double up, listen to an audiobook while doing somthing else with your hands. As suggested, crochet maby.

Audiobooks are the business; I am studying for a degree in the evenings now, so I no longer have much time for reading for pleasure. But I listen to audiobooks when cooking or tidying up the house, its a good way to keep yourself motivated when doing these tasks, too.

All of which doesn't really apply to the OP's situation, but I just wanted to sing the praises of audiobooks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Learn a bit of guerrilla horticulture and cultivate marijuana plants, never know, you could end up being a drug lord.

Candie wrote: »
    Some of us have hidden talents that are really, really well hidden. :)

Something... about hiding your talents under a bushel...?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

DanMurphy wrote: »
    My point is, there's something everybody can do well and I suppose self motivation is the key that will 'unlock' us, or lack thereof will hold us back.

We ALL have a talent, of some description.

Maybe it's a hidden talent? Then, it's up to ourselves to find it.

Make 2018 a voyage of (self) discovery!
    Go for it...

Thanks DanMurphy.

Congrats on your award.

"Good Luck With The Book!" - from Fr. Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Cross-stitching! Relaxing, productive and you have a nice piece of art at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You should take up an instrument.

^Why does that read like its something indecent?

Advertisement