Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most negative person you know?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

Saw a thread on Reddit about psychiatrists and therapist bring asked about the most negative patient  they've  had.

Wonder from a non-psychiatric POV (and maybe if you're in the mental health field), who is the most negative person your subject to? Donald Trump excluded.
    Link to the reddit thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Clare Daly.

Everything's an utter disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

My wife, constantly complaining about trivial things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

My parents, especially my mother. They seem to be stuck in some kind of 1950's timewarp and constantly complain about how everything is today. My mother is forever using the expression 'Well in my day ....".
    As far as they're concerned, every silver lining has a cloud.

I'm shocked it took this long for someone to bring up the mother.
    My mother and older sister are clones of each other, everything is met with hate and negativity and like you said everything was better back in the day (even though my sisters day was the 90's)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

I used to be a very negative thinker but it was circumstantial. I went through two very difficult episodes in my life in close succession when I was younger and I got sucked into a very dark way of thinking.

I don't think I was necessarily outwardly negative though.

I think I have trained my mind to look on the brighter side of life now and try to think what is the best case scenario that could happen in whatever I go through in my life.

I do think it takes more energy to be negative than positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

As a profession, I find teachers are very negative. Always whingeing about everything.

As a teacher, I actually agree with you about this. Teachers can be very moany people but I have found, teachers can get sucked into the culture of a staff. I have worked on lovely, positive staffs but then I have worked in the complete opposite.

I have been in staff rooms where the absolute life would be sucked out of you from listening to the negativity and Groundhog Day whinging about the same issues constantly.

Some teachers just don't see life from another point of view because they haven't lived or experienced true hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I came from a family background steeped in negativity. My mother was always anxious and jealous of other things and people that my father was interested in such as business and football. She was always cutting them down and seeing them as threats to her relationship with him.

My two elder sisters suffer from depression and have been plagued with it all their lives. I was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome 10 yrs ago at the age of 50 because my family were not able to get help for me earlier on in my life. It took my wife and daughter to see through to the reality of my condition and get me the help I needed to get rid of 50 years of negativity and fear which I had because of my family situation.

My father was as normal as it was possible to be and did his best to enable me to function as normally as possible in society. I was bullied at school and did not have a normal life until securing employment in a very good company which from day one had a zero tolerance policy towards bullying. Other employments I had were a struggle due to my inability to see through negative people and sort out lies, politics and agendas people often use to advance themselves, justify their work and personal failings etc.

People in general need to avoid negative people or at least get a balanced view on topics which affect them in their lives. We now have too much information and news bombarding us every day and it is vital to filter out irrelevant stuff and concentrate on things vital to our existence to the exclusion of other external things.

I do not know many negative people but I do know that a lot of people who on the outside look like they are having a good life are really full of fear and anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I guy I used to work with was so negative all the time. We often wondered if he was so negative at home with the mrs. The guy in the ad for Carlsberg reminds me of him...when shaking hands its either too strong or too weak...kiss on cheek? how many? ...fist bump? ..too complicated.

Everything was wrong according to this guy. Always want to ask him straight out "Is there anything you like? And why dont you ever talk about that?" .... never did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

I think realism and negativity are often confused. I have no problem with people who confront issues and say it as it is. Positivity is over-rated IMO, especially that "forced" positivity of "Oh I'm going to think everything is amazing and it'll be amazing". That's actually completely counter-productive and can make people feel worse off in the end.

Sometimes life is great, sometimes it's really fcuking ****. Just accept that and be real about it. Enjoy it when it's good and get through it when it's bad. This fake positive mindset BS is bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I used to live with someone who was negative about everything. So much so I used to be sick more while living with him than at any other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    My wife, constantly complaining about trivial things.

I have the same experience. She's always fecking complaining

"Don't get jizz in my hair"
    "Use more lube if you're going in that route"
    "Hurry up, Dakota Dan will be home soon"

I think you should get rid of her!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Patww79 wrote: »
    Nobody I know comes close to me.

Try using some soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

You're doing sex wrong so!

Sorry, I thought you said "cums"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I know somebody who has the motto "No good will come from owt!". It's sort of tongue-in-cheek, but I reckon he fairly believes in it. And no, he's not from Yorkshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Woman at work is extremely negative, the kind of person who literally gives out from the moment she wakes to the moment she sleeps, always giving out about her job, procedures, her weight, her bills, boyfriend etc. People like that just drain the life out of you.

The kicker? She has a boyfriend and a group of friends whom she goes out with regularly. Ive always thought negative people repel others. Funny world we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

A friend of my parents. He's actually very funny but God he's a real Debbie Downer, has a horrible story for every situation.

He outdid himself a few years back, someone was talking about the nice weekend she'd had in Dubai.

"Dubai? My friend's son worked over there when he was about 21, the money was great apparently. Anyways, on his way home one evening three lads ran up, grabbed him and threw him in a van, took him out to the desert and gang raped him."

He does rather interrupt the natural flow of a conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Having a terminal illness has really highlighted to me how much some people love to wallow and practically invent things to complain about. They don’t know they’re born. “What’s that, you have a mild cold? How horrendous! Oh, by the way, my lower spine has partially crumbled.”

And to add, I don’t even think I’m the worst off. I have the greatest of sympathy for anyone diagnosed with motor neurone disease. An endlessly cruel illness. Or any swiftly fatal disease. At least I’ve been affirded a bit of time to make memories and come to terms.

Back to negative people and my comment about people inventing stuff. I have a former friend who was a complete drama queen. She would genuinely invent reasons to be annoyed at her boyfriend. One night I was listening to her latest invented issue. I uttered some feeble comforting sentiment whilst feeling totally drained and she sarcastically said to me “wow, you really had to scratch around to come up with that bit of nonsense”. I snapped. I told her that if she wasn’t basically inventing stuff to complain about ALL THE TIME, maybe I wouldn’t be scrambling for things to say by way of comfort. The friendship, as it were, didn’t last long after that. Easily the most emotionally-stunted person I’ve ever met.

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »
    The glass is twice the size it needs to be! It’s not half full or empty

The positive power of negative thinking

http://lifehacker.com/the-positive-power-of-negative-thinking-1459381519

the glass is half full, but it's half full with cyanide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

A friend of mine can be quite bad. Not so much negativity per se but constantly riled up about the most abstract things. You actually find yourself steering him away from lots of topics as not to set him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I play Utopia online, I know an ancient game at this stage, up to 25 players playing together, we had to get rid of one player (Ken) as he was negative, looked for fights and none of us could take him any longer despite him being a good player. We have another player who is also lined up for the chop for his negativity...it is nice being able to execute negative people in the cyber world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I have a close family member who was terribly negative. Turns out she just needed the ride... She's in a long-term relationship now and she's way more positive! :D

I'm not even good at being negative..

I have a close family member who was terribly negative. Turns out she just needed the ride... She's in a long-term relationship now and she's way more positive! :D

Get outta that. Your mother was always a lovely pleasant and positive lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I find people who are constantly negative very draining to be around, though I find perpetually chirpy people pretty exhausting too. Somewhere in the middle is grand, thanks. I like mildly grumpy people with a sarcastic/dark sense of humour the most!

My father is quite a negative person and my family always teased me growing up that my cup is always half empty. I have to make a conscious effort not to moan or complain too much or I can get carried away with myself, I definitely can go off on rants and need to watch that.

What I find more annoying though is self-pitying people, now I know it's all relative and everyone has their issues but some people just seem to look for things to pity themselves for and that's something I can't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

When I was a young boy my teachers used to tell me I was terrible cynical.

But shur what the fúck did they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's a sad thing to admit but I have a few people in my circles I would regard as being very negative. I default to optimism and try to improve my life and circumstances always. I always remain philosophical and hopeful about all aspects of my life but Homer often comes to mind in my daily life when he said 'trying is the first step on the road to failure'. I'm convinced my mother has endured depression her whole life without making a single attempt to face it and has a sort of death wish. That's hard to be around when you know you can't get through to her.

One colleague of mine would just suck the life out of you with her negativity and at one point, she just latched onto me and I couldn't shake her (short of creating a diplomatic incident). I remember having to help her fix her own f*** up at work while she complained endlessly about how stupid the whole thing was and how she had never been told about the issue remembered thinking how I felt assaulted by her as I attempt to help her and she knew that at the exact same time, my sister was on a table having heart surgery.

In other news, my initials pronounced phonetically sounds like Eeyore.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭nigel_wilson

What suprises me though is how people are so against negativity when we accept that life in general is no doubt hard for most of us. Incongruous attitudes no?

What harm does a dose of negativity do? When your due for a flight in two hours and the sky is pouring rain, your bag is broken, due for the aircoach but the man in front is taking too long, your not gonna be thinking "well let 's just imagine this situation as a glass half full". No, your gonna acknowledge life has just gone to the crap sh*t.

Haven't some fringe science studies shown that positivity is more delusional and impeding towards success than a dose of negativity?

Advertisement