Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most negative person you know?

Options
  • 06-01-2018 1:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭

Saw a thread on Reddit about psychiatrists and therapist bring asked about the most negative patient they've had.

Wonder from a non-psychiatric POV (and maybe if you're in the mental health field), who is the most negative person your subject to? Donald Trump excluded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Thankfully I know very few negative people. It's a horrible trait, constant negativity.

Wouldn't know anyone famous well enough to know how negative they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't know many relentlessly negative people. I know people who are a bit mordant or cynical, but there's usually a suppressed romantic in their hearts. Really negative people are just too much to take after a while and a lot of their schtick is rooted in insecurity or deep-seated self loathing: can't hack being around that and nothing but that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

-R2D2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Steve Bannon

What a cunt

Quote that in a 'buke' ya prick

Mr Electron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

begbysback wrote: »
    -R2D2

20f7532bf030290c93d43f57f83e49db2a74e2a11f49e5b0f7693a289a10d1a6_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's a tie between a couple of people I work with. If you don't like working for the company so much then fcuk off and leave instead of dragging everyone else down with you as you hang on in the futile hope that you'll get a pay off to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

I’ve such low self esteem that when I’m making love I Imagine I’m someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Zaph wrote: »
    It's a tie between a couple of people I work with. If you don't like working for the company so much then fcuk off and leave instead of dragging everyone else down with you as you hang on in the futile hope that you'll get a pay off to leave.

Sounds like a few people in my workplace. Actually a lot of people I work with moan about everything. It’s horrible to be around. If only they knew how lucky they had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I've known quite a few and cut them off.

Unfortunately, its harder to avoid similar people at work.
    There's a handful of very negative people at work who are poison.

• Advertisement

The glass is twice the size it needs to be! It’s not half full or empty

The positive power of negative thinking

http://lifehacker.com/the-positive-power-of-negative-thinking-1459381519

Today was the first day of my striving to be more positive
    It could have been better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Having a terminal illness has really highlighted to me how much some people love to wallow and practically invent things to complain about. They don’t know they’re born. “What’s that, you have a mild cold? How horrendous! Oh, by the way, my lower spine has partially crumbled.”

I’ve told a few jokes there but serious now ...

I did a few CVs for people in the recession for free. Took two hours per person to do right (inc mock interview and pep talk) and was exhausting but the follow ups “I got a job” was lovely and made it worth while.

My idea was to use a passport photo top right and blue tinted paper to stand out.

Anyway I met someone via a friend who was down on their luck unemployed and I explained that I’ve done this for 10 people and every single person has got jobs ...

“I might be the first not to get a job” he said

Fcuk me. He wanted to jinx my run of good luck. I can’t remember if I did or didn’t do one for him. What an attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I don't know that many really negative people. I do know one woman where it's always the glass is half empty. Its not nasty or mean spirited though. It's just how she expresses herself I think. It can be draining to be around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

The mother in law. She'll have my wife old before her time. I don't let her away with it anymore. Challenge her on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

The muppet I share an office with. She hates the work, hates me, hates the workplace, hates the customers, hates her 45 minute commute... I wish she would just leave. The minute she arrives in the morning, she starts whinging about everything and a veil of black falls over the office until she leaves.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not Mary Poppins but if I hated a job that much, I'd just leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

_Dara_ wrote: »
    They don’t know they’re born. “What’s that, you have a mild cold? How horrendous! Oh, by the way, my lower spine has partially crumbled.”

As I said to someone the other day who is going through a tough time, you can't never complain because someone is worse off. If that was the case, there'd only be one person on the planet entitled to have a moan. Yes, it's good to acknowledge that there are others worse off and that can be very helpful to get through bad times, but everyone's worries are different and they shouldn't all be smacked down because there's someone else worse.

Anyway I can't bear negativity. Really and truly it's the worst trait a person can have I feel.

The most negative person I know recently complained that they had lost a tenner on a horse....except they hadn't....the horse had won but they had forgotten to take the odds at time of bet so they would have won an extra tenner if they had. They actually stood there when the horse won saying "ffs, I lost a tenner on that".

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

I have also cut them out of my life, but I work with one particular negative person for a few years. At first I actually wanted to leave my job because it was so relentless, but in hindsight I’m so happy to have had this negative person in my life, because they have taught me so much about myself, how not to react and get sucked in to negative comments/gossip and how to just let things go, and to have an awareness about me not to let negativity effect me because it is highly contagious! Negative people have been my greatest teachers and they point out areas in my life where I haven’t grown yet. I know they have touched an area judging by my reaction to their negative comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Having a terminal illness has really highlighted to me how much some people love to wallow and practically invent things to complain about. They don’t know they’re born. “What’s that, you have a mild cold? How horrendous! Oh, by the way, my lower spine has partially crumbled.”

You are totally right , we don’t realise how precious our life is until something threatens to take it away. Best of luck pal !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Guy I work with, only 6 of us altogether on the shift, hates the company, hates the work, hates the people he meets as part of the job, runs down everything, comes in every day and does the bare minimum he has to do even though he could earn €200 extra a week by working a bit harder every day. Claims he does it to spite the company but can’t see the woods for the trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Da Boss

Ruth coppinger, never a good word to say , her ignorance baffles me

erica74 wrote: »
    The muppet I share an office with. She hates the work, hates me, hates the workplace, hates the customers, hates her 45 minute commute... I wish she would just leave. The minute she arrives in the morning, she starts whinging about everything and a veil of black falls over the office until she leaves.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not Mary Poppins but if I hated a job that much, I'd just leave.

Reminds me about a whinge bag on a mates football team that was given a nick name and he protested in a whingey whinney way ....

“Whhhhhy do they caaaaaaall me whiiiiiiiney” in a whiney drawn out tone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

My cousin's wife. Best she's come out with so far is that she hates the smell of fresh cut grass! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Lad I work with is constantly negative. Disagrees with everything and starts most sentences with "the problem is ...".
    Hard to listen to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

My parents, especially my mother. They seem to be stuck in some kind of 1950's timewarp and constantly complain about how everything is today. My mother is forever using the expression 'Well in my day ....".
    As far as they're concerned, every silver lining has a cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I can’t be friends with overwhelmingly negative people, so I’m not!

I’ve a friend who suffers badly with anxiety though, and when she’s having a bad time, she’s hard to talk to because literally EVERYTHING is doom and gloom, often dramatically so, and she shoots down anything positive you say. But she’s my friend and needs help so you’ve just gotta roll with it.

As a profession, I find teachers are very negative. Always whingeing about everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

A certain elderly poster here has to be right up there, an absolute miser who seems to get a kick from moaning on every single topic that arises.

Advertisement