Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gravel Routes (Check out my Gravel Tips)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

a148pro wrote: »
    I mean if they marketed an alternative wicklow way on a bike you would get people doing it for sure

You'd need to research alternatives. E.g. Instead of Fairy castle you can keep going through Kilmashogue on to Ticknock and drop down the fire road to Buckleys stone works and back to the WW from there. You'll still have to hike a bike some bits I imagine but a route could be put together. Would be wonderful if the powers that be put a bit of effort into it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

From Djouce woods, there's a little road, and then into Ballinastoe and either straight up the hill, or loop around for a more gradual climb, which will bring you to Luggala/ below the Malone Monument. From there, there's mainly fire road (now with the cycling banned because walkers signs) - you can stick fire road and rejoin the WW (couple of stiles). Pretty much from the Lough Dan road section, it's minor deviations off the path on Scarr/ Paddock Hill down some single track and roads to avoid steps/ boardwalks to Glendalough. I understand after Glendalough, and certainly after Glenmalure, it's even more doable.

I'll be taking the cycling banned signs the same as MTB/ Horse Riders take them in the likes of Djouce Woods, but you'd want to be through the sections near Roundwood and Glendalough early at the moment just because of the numbers of walkers would limit the "fun". They've had to open new parking at Luggala and Glendalough because of the parking mayhem. So I can see there is a potential conflict issue, but the solution is warning signs to both cyclists and pedestrians rather than the solution of just banning bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭df

a148pro wrote: »
    I've often wondered how much of wicklow way doable on a bike? Up towards fairy castle would be hike a bike, and steep hike a bike down to the glencullen road, prince william's seat is hike a bike over the top, then more hike a bike down to that river before chrone woods. Djouce is surely hike a bike.

I appreciate there's reasonable gravely sections in between, but is it worth it?

A few years ago I did the WW in a (long) day. Was amazing. Vast majority rideable. A good MTBer (of which I am not) will be able to ride virtually all the sections you have mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

Me and my buddies up in Ballinastoe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

df wrote: »
    A few years ago I did the WW in a (long) day. Was amazing. Vast majority rideable. A good MTBer (of which I am not) will be able to ride virtually all the sections you have mentioned above.

Am planning on reccieing it bit by bit on a gravel bike. Today's lesson - there simply is no non mtb route over fairy house. Fire road down to steep path onto road before johnny foxes or singletrack in ticknock to singletrack in the gap.

To be honest, it's not an attractive section anyway. One of the disadvantages of gravel biking in ireland seems to be the amount of time you spend on some trail scoured out of a hill lined by monoculture or clear felled bomb zone.

Prince william is next, as suggested above there's a route around the hill as opposed to over it which I'm looking forward to trying.

I really have to knock off some of alek's routes he posted previously, albeit in small chunks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'll be taking the cycling banned signs the same as MTB/ Horse Riders take them in the likes of Djouce Woods, but you'd want to be through the sections near Roundwood and Glendalough early at the moment just because of the numbers of walkers would limit the "fun". They've had to open new parking at Luggala and Glendalough because of the parking mayhem. So I can see there is a potential conflict issue, but the solution is warning signs to both cyclists and pedestrians rather than the solution of just banning bikes.

Cycling isn't banned in Djouce woods, one person took it upon themselves to put some signs up a couple of months back.

nak wrote: »
    Cycling isn't banned in Djouce woods, one person took it upon themselves to put some signs up a couple of months back.
    I thought it was technically banned from all Coillte woods except the ones with trail centres? Definitely official signs on some of them (including the most local to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I thought it was technically banned from all Coillte woods except the ones with trail centres? Definitely official signs on some of them (including the most local to me).

Coillte are working with mountain bike clubs to assign permits for some areas. Permits have been granted for Slade, Leadmines in Dublin and a couple of other places I'm aware of. Mountain bikers were involved in the the discussions around felling in Djouce with an aim to preserve the more established trails. The gates that were put in there are to keep horses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

There's an online survey going on into the possibilities for outdoor recreation in the Slieve Blooms, anyone interested in more gravel loops down there should have their say now.

http://www.outdoorrecreationni.com/news/slieve-bloom/

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

For that matter more mtb and better paved rural road surfaces for climbing on the road bike aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I sometimes wonder about these surveys - they pigeon hole themselves into a particular format and because of the questions asked / answers given may lead to somewhat inaccurate information

But its good to see they're looking for ideas. Gravel routes and more cafes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

https://www.strava.com/routes/2832943276634905724

I tried out a nice route yesterday.. lots of track, gravel, boreens, cow paths and back roads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

mloc123 wrote: »
    https://www.strava.com/routes/2832943276634905724

I tried out a nice route yesterday.. lots of track, gravel, boreens, cow paths and back roads

Excellent - did you see much traffic.

I have 32 inch tyres - do you these would work on that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Excellent - did you see much traffic.

I have 32 inch tyres - do you these would work on that route?

Very little traffic, apart from the last 3-4km into kilcock (which looking at the map now, I could have avoided)

The two canals are pretty predictable in terms of surface, the section when you leave the grand canal before Robertstown is a cow path (need to climb a couple of gates) and is quite muddy but I managed on 37c.. apart from that it is all solid trail, gravel etc.. and 32c should be fine.

Had planned to cut through Donadea also, but the rear gates are locked at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I just got back from a spin on the Grand Canal southbound towards Sallins. Between Ponsonby Bridge and Henry Bridge, the canal has over flowed onto the towpath in many places making them almost impassible. There was also a JCB digging up the entire towpath, "doing survey work for the greenway".

It doesn't bode well for the summer.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Just got a gravel bike need to find some routes now. Anywhere up around dundalk that anyone knows? I'm sure there are trails around ravensdale. Just need to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Not exactly gravel, but suitable for a gravel bike....I tried to go along the embankment from the Fane to Castlebellingham thinking I could easily do it during work lunch. The fact I hadn't been on a bike in months and my fitness level was dire. I got as far as a gate, and turned back. Apparently it is doable if you lift the bike across the gate. It is used by walkers, and should meet up with the road at Seabank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Thanks Fighting Tao. I think I know that bit alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Picked up a Pinnacle arkose that comfortable takes 42mm tyres and room for maybe even 47, so beyond howth, canal and park perimeter going to have to look for some form of rough terrain to throw it around I think

I've 46/30 11-36 on it, so should be able to get up the steep stuff handily

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Giving this a bump, and a title edit so people can stop going back, back and forth and forth looking for it (someone will get that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm going to link this here too. I really think, with a minimal amount of work, this could become a great resource

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Could someone post a link to a 90-120 min gravel loop around the standard trails on Hell Fire, Cruagh, Tibradden, ThreeRock ?

Something rideable on decent enough tracks without bike carry's and a decent portion of off road ?

Thanks Paul.

I did ticknock over to GAP last autumn, and iirc, it was fireroad in ticknock over fireroad to the top of GAP. My very limited skills was able for the "harder" option blue trails down to the GAP trail head anyway. Quite enjoyed that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

How about something like this?

Alternative options :

1. enter cruagh at the hairpin after viewing point instead of at the carpark, but a bit of hikeabike there.

2. Leaving cruagh go straight over into tibradden past zippit and out the far side, down mutton lane for a shorter spin.

3. Go into gap and up 3 rock instead of going around by foxes and up past the golf course towards the blue light pub - reduces amount of road but dunno if GAP get antsy with cyclists going up the Dublin mountain way - it's supposed to be right of way for walkers only.

If you're on Farcebook check out "Irish gravel cycling" or "gravel bike - routes ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Perfect. Will try this next time. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishGravelCycling/permalink/1187976381871413/

This is a shame and a bit of a joke, given they are effectively public lands but the public can't cycle on them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm not on Facebook, can you paste the info, or explain it a little

I'm barely on it myself, my siblings and a friend from primary school are regular friend suggestions

From Dave Flanagan

"Hi All. As someone of you know I'm currently working on updating my book Cycling in Ireland. I have seen it mentioned a few times here in the context of gravel riding so I just wanted to update you all on the current situation with it.

In summary - I won't be adding any routes on Coillte land as I'm afraid there might be legal issues.

Some background. When I was working on the first edition I really wanted to add more off-road/easy MTB/gravel routes and I had multiple discussions with Coillte to see if it would be possible to do so. I was met with enthusiasm initially, but ultimately I was just left hanging. This seems to be a common occurrence when people try and interact with them. So I decided to omit the proposed routes.

This year the plan was to add 20 routes to the second edition, most of the 20 were going to be on gravel, on the basis that it would be easier to get forgiveness than permission. However, a recent post on here caused me to rethink this plan and after talking to a number of people close to the situation I have decided to omit the routes that use Coillte land.

This is disappointing on a number of levels: the routes are really great, some of the best spins of any sort I have ever done; as I had put a long of energy into them it represents a waste of my time; and most importantly we have this crazy situation where we aren't allowed cycle on these routes, yet we all do, we just can't tell anyone about it.

The fact of the matter is that there is a bye-law that prohibits cycling on Coillte land outside of designated areas. Effectively gravel cycling in Ireland is illegal.

Coillte owns about 10% of the country, well we the people do as Coillte is a state-owned company. They cite insurance problems as the reason. One aspect is that they seem to lump all forms of cycling together, for instance, we might understand the issue they have with people building massive jumps on their land, but gravel cycling can hardly be considered at the same level of risk. Other countries don't seem to have this insurance issue so it seems to me that it is just an excuse.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, I just wanted to share my thoughts and maybe get some discussion going on the situation. I have also posted this on the 'Gravel bike - routes Ireland' group.

https://www.coillte.ie/media/2018/10/Bye_laws_21.05.09.pdf

Regulation (9) 1 which effectively bans cycling on non designated routes

While we spend millions building Greenways to drive to

• Advertisement

I'd agree the "ban" is ridiculous on coillte lands, and a lot of dead ends are only a few 100m's from another dead end that could be linked (just call it a bloody greenway!).

However, my own experience which is mainly restricted to France is that the difference is a lot of what they have as "gravel" we have as tarmac. They haven't paved every boreen, so a lot of it is actually public "road".

Advertisement