Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What adverts leave you saying wha???

Options
  • 05-01-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

So what adverts confuse you, you don't get or in general make you wonder what they're on about.

For the past few weeks I've seen a Vodafone advert that ends in "Thanks Dad" with the mother looking shocked at this statement. I've yet to twig what this is all about and only ever realise it's the ad the confuses me at the end of it so without boards I'll be forever in the dark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Ads that lack cleavage.

We all know that if you want to shift something fast just put a pair of tits on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

He is his step dad. His biological dad is gone.

They bond over the course of the ad until the kid says 'Thanks Dad' as a sort of acceptance to both their delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

valoren wrote: »

They bond over the course of the ad until the kid says 'Thanks Dad' as a sort of acceptance.

Like Liam Neeson in Love Actually. He and the son go through the ignominy of being in a Richard Curtis film to 'get' each other kind of thing.

Did his dad die or did he shag off with Mary from Number 32? I'm not quite sure his mother should be validating the use of the Dad title in either case or that it would be mainstream acceptable to do so?

Yer Da's gone - here's the new fella he's your new Dad. Seems wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

They bond over the course of the ad until the kid says 'Thanks Dad' as a sort of acceptance.

Like Liam Neeson in Love Actually. He and the son go through the ignominy of being in a Richard Curtis film to 'get' each other kind of thing.

Did his dad die or did he shag off with Mary from Number 32? I'm not quite sure his mother should be validating the use of the Dad title in either case or that it would be mainstream acceptable to do so?

Yer Da's gone - here's the new fella he's your new Dad. Seems wrong.

It's keeping in tune with the trope in modern advertising that men in adverts must be lazy/stupid/cowardly (delete as appropriate.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,812 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

It's keeping in tune with the trope in modern advertising that men in adverts must be lazy/stupid/cowardly (delete as appropriate.)

Does seem a little like advertising agencies have decided that Gay and Pride everything is "old" and that it's time to move on to target the deserted wives club.

Across the nations advertising agencies scratch their heads for the next big attempt at minority inclusiveness and by association them being a "forward thinking brand" ... awaiting the Vodafone ad of two trannys bringing little johnny to his first day of school wearing a dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

They bond over the course of the ad until the kid says 'Thanks Dad' as a sort of acceptance to both their delight.

Anybody know who the Mammy is in this ad? She looks yummy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 antonolan

This Vodafone ad is great and deserves a couple of spin off adverts...

Maybe one that deleves into the "Dad's" background.. such as the wife and kids that he deserted so he could shack up with his latest squeeze and her kid...

Or maybe, an advert that follows up on the kid in c. 10-15 years time, as he shots up and overdoses in a cold wet and dark laneway in a soulless city because of the psychological damage that was done to him by his Mum and all of his "Dads"...

Finally, a Vodafone advert that shows the biological Dad of the kid chaining himself to Leinster house dressed at Batman whilst protesting about fathers' rights!

I should be working in advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The latest McDonalds Ad's cant make out what they are about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

They have shown that stupid annoying ad about the kid and his new stepdad bonding about 100.000 times now since Christmas, why the fcuk would they keep on showing it over and over again?? Its at the stage now when if I hear that soul crushing "Getting to know you....." music ill switch off straight away I cant listen to it anymore. Its beyond played out by now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Most ads, these days. I can't think of a single current ad where the "story" shown has anything at all to do with what they're trying to flog.

And special mention has to be made of perfume ads.

Maybe one that deleves into the "Dad's" background.. such as the wife and kids that he deserted so he could shack up with his latest squeeze and her kid...

Or maybe, an advert that follows up on the kid in c. 10-15 years time, as he shots up and overdoses in a cold wet and dark laneway in a soulless city because of the psychological damage that was done to him by his Mum and all of his "Dads"...

Finally, a Vodafone advert that shows the biological Dad of the kid chaining himself to Leinster house dressed at Batman whilst protesting about fathers' rights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

antonolan wrote: »

Please! Spare us. It's like most adverts today. It could be for anything. It purports to be the magic elixir for modern life yet does nothing to really show how they are any different to any other supplier.
    It's as though advert makers are enjoying themselves with their 'Creativity' but forget there's a product or service to promote and a customer to woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Guinness deserve a mention. Anything from the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The now infamous TUI adverts, everything is off about it. Poor lip syncing, another crap slowed down acoustic cover of a classic, lazy acting, poorly choreographed dancing, really bad amateur stuff.

Please! Spare us. It's like most adverts today. It could be for anything. It purports to be the magic elixir for modern life yet does nothing to really show how they are any different to any other supplier.
    It's as though advert makers are enjoying themselves with their 'Creativity' but forget there's a product or service to promote and a customer to woo.

I keeping thinking of The Simpsons for some reason....

Mr Plow Man commercial...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It’s toasted.

razorblunt wrote: »
    The now infamous TUI adverts, everything is off about it. Poor lip syncing, another crap slowed down acoustic cover of a classic, lazy acting, poorly choreographed dancing, really bad amateur stuff.

I switch channel the instant it starts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Does seem a little like advertising agencies have decided that Gay and Pride everything is "old" and that it's time to move on to target the deserted wives club.

Across the nations advertising agencies scratch their heads for the next big attempt at minority inclusiveness and by association them being a "forward-thinking brand" ... awaiting the Vodafone ad of two transvestites bringing little johnny to his first day of school wearing a dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Surely companies create ads that are annoying rather than good?

"I hate that *company* ad, it's so annoying!".

IT may be annoying but ask someone for an insurance comparison website and most people will have the same answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That fcukin Mace Face ad is woeful sh1te altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Uranium

Those ads for Joom
    Terrible voice dubbing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Could someone explain that ad where the son and Dad are running marathon, can't remember what it's for. But the son is running along not a bother on him and only catches up on his old man near the finish line who is shagged and they cross the finish line together. But no way the ould fella could have been ahead of the son. I just can't figure it out!

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Could someone explain that ad where the son and Dad are running marathon, can't remember what it's for. But the son is running along not a bother on him and only catches up on his old man near the finish line who is shagged and they cross the finish line together. But no way the ould fella could have been ahead of the son. I just can't figure it out!

Same here. It made no sense to me either. I can't remember what it was for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'd imagine the son was just keeping pace with his father, just staying slightly behind him. I get the impression from the ad that the Dad was the one who wanted to do the marathon and the son was supporting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the son was just keeping pace with his father, just staying slightly behind him. I get the impression from the ad that the Dad was the one who wanted to do the marathon and the son was supporting him.
    Hmmm maybe, but the son looked to be tipping along at a decent pace, what did he do stop off for a coffee to kill the time. And only catch up for the last few hundred meters instead of supporting him all the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Dunno what car it is, but has 'lane assist'. If you need lane assist, you shouldn't be driving a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

The advert where the mother with the pram keeps apologising to everyone in the coffee shop. It's very unrealistic , in this day and age mothers have no reason to keep apologising like that. I deliberately mute it every time it comes on.

Advertisement