Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BarneyJ

I think lim4ev's point was that it was crazy of Tadhg de Burca to try to stop the ball going wide at the end. He stopped it going over the end line and in the ensuing scrum it went out for a 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Exactly my point.

It was the correct decision to give the 65 but it was pure luck that it actually was as the umpire couldn't have seen it. Did I see the ruling that had the umpire said he couldn't say either way to the ref that it would have been a 21 yard throw in?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Knockdromin

You start out by repeating what I said about their injuries and suspensions in 2018. Skip over 2019.

2020 and 2021 - look up what the word respectable means because it doesn’t mean whatever you think it does. Believe it or not it’s saying what they did in those years is to be respected.

2022 was extremely disappointing given how bullish they were coming in to that championship; they massively under delivered and cracked when presented with a golden opportunity to defeat a Limerick team who were down four 2021 All Stars and the reigning hurler of the year.

They were incredibly lucky to draw v Tipp - James Owens absolutely rode the hell out of Tipp in the first half, awarded a soft penalty and failed to award Tipp what was a more clear cut penalty, he impeded the Tipp keeper as the penalty was being struck. Waterford’s second goal stood despite Mahony committing an offence that was yellow carded in the lead up. He was worth a 6-9 point swing in Waterford’s favour in that half so no; Tipp are the ones who get to come away from that game feeling hard done by.

And there was no “probably” about it on the 65 in the Cusack Park game. It was 100% a 65. Watch the replay, it’s clear as day. The umpire making the correct decision is not bad luck.

People complain when officials make the wrong decision but it’s ludicrous to complain and cry of bad luck when the correct decision is made. And I couldn’t care less about assumptions made in what the umpire saw; simple fact of the matter is several decisions are made each game based on what officials feel “probably” happened. That’s nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Montys return

You can definitely say a badly hit free ricocheting off a few bodies/hurleys out for a 65 after you've fought back from 4 goals is bad luck. Bad luck does not neccesarily equate to bad refereeing decisions.

Given the margins, if Waterford don't make it we'll have been unlucky. That said, if we don't get anything from the last two games when that was all we needed to guarantee progression I wouldn't have any complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Will there be 40,000 in the gaelic grounds

Hard to tell. Both terraces on sale with all the seats sold out.

Often for Limerick Vs Waterford you only have 1 terrace open so the importance of this game has clearly ramped up sales.

I would say around between 30k and 40k at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭High bike

Who's the ref on Sunday anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Montys return

Michael Kennedy of Tipp, reffed Waterford and Cork.

Yeah I remember him thought he wasn't too fussy let it go a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dannymole22

City end sold out now so numbers probably be on the higher end of that scale. Pity about the weather forecast

Only changes you’d imagine will be Casey back in at 2 and O’Donovan taking a spot on the bench.

Byrnes has been slow to get going this year. A very poor conversion rate from placed balls this year. I had mentioned Fergal O’Connor having a few difficult moments v Cork but it was harsh to single him out; that side of the defence as a whole had it’s issues and Finn going off just exacerbated things slightly.

Hannon even found himself having to cover the right wing a few times and he didn’t look comfortable whenever it happened. So I’d be questioning Byrnes (given his experience) more than O’Connor (who will be important going forward).

Main thing I’d like to see is Limerick dictating the game from the off. I know the official line is don’t panic and stick to the process even if we’re falling far behind in the first half.

On the one hand they have proven themselves capable of overhauling 9/10 point deficits in games and it’s good that they have that experience to call on. But on the other hand that won’t work every time.

They have the quality that they shouldn’t be falling more than 5 points behind in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dannymole22

No Daragh O'Donovan still.

That's a pity. At least Casey is back.

J.Gillane in at no.16 too.

And Shane O’Brien comes in for O’Reilly.

Hopefully no setbacks for O’Donovan, had heard he was going well in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭moby2101

Very disappointing not to see DOD on the bench, word out and about the was he was going to bench. Hopefully we will ser him fit and healthy in the next round

Without him we are left tinkering around with CON, Reidy and Lynch ghosting in and out of midfield.

CON is a much better asset further up the field . Reidy was anonymous the last day , as were a few of our defenders.

We need another massive performance and not just playing catch up in the third quarter.

Davy will have done his homework and have a few unusual plays, they are open at the back, Prunty is a big loss for them.

There's obviously some issue with DOD,was meant to be on the bench in Cork too,hopefully it's not too serious as he's a serious loss.He'll be needed going forward if we get over Waterford.Its unusual for JK not to be up frot about it as if a lad is out for whatever period he normally just says it I'd imagine he got some knock in training.

Post edited by High bike on

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Yea I'm surprised re o donovan too considering I'm sure i heard kiely saying he was close after the clare match? It could be similar to c lynch being out last yr he wasn't named for our final match v cork but he came on for last 5 minutes as it was touch and go . I thought o donovan would have been something similar but obviously he's further away than we thought.

I think that's a more than decent Waterford team named they'll be dangerous

Another masterclass by the umpires in Limerick tonight,the ball actually touched the net under the crossbar and no goal given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭einn32

What I took from Kiely in interviews was that he was hopeful DOD would be available for selection.

It’s funny that in the space of a week we’ve had two incidents involving umpires not clearly seeing something and they get criticised regardless of whether they get the decision right or wrong. They can’t win.

Umpire in the under 20 final may have thought that was a goal but best not to make a call unless he’s 100% certain after all the stick the criticism for an umpire making the correct call a few days prior.

Media narratives 100% creep into officiating teams. Few years back in Ennis Hegarty wrongly awarded two yellow cards and 4th official prevented our physio from tending to an injured player because the Sunday Game had theorised the previous weekend that we were using that as a means of getting messages to the player on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭shocs07

Good win in the end but how many wides.

O'NEILL was great

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think I saw a stats table with 19 in the Wides column for Limerick, but it felt like more!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,494 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lads, Limerick won’t give a rats arse about how many wides they had. Most important thing is they got about a million shots off

That’s more important

In the end of the day, sample size will even out over time. They will know themselves what they’re happy with

Quite happy to see a nice tidy and composed contribution from Fergal O’Connor; that’ll do him good.

Many felt that three or four new first team ready players would be key to our challenge this year. Shane O’Brien was excellent, English and O’Dalaigh have made positive contributions this year and O’Connor looks like he has the ability; he just needs minutes. It means we’re not as stretched now with the injury issues we’re dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭moby2101

cracking game

Great physicality from Waterford, fair dues to them. It was a 2 point game at 58 minutes. We were Soo wasteful in the first half.
    Delighted for Cathal O Neill to get MOTM , he has been outstanding through the league and Munster series.
    Roll on to Clare, whats the betting that Clare will want to play us in the Gaelic Grounds!!😛

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

con is a rolls Royce of a player and that’s it.

If our radar was better it was a 20 point beating.

It's set for Thurles under the new rules. They have no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

shouldn’t be scandal of venue for final. Didn’t they map or matrix it out going forward. I think it’s thurles.

Advertisement