Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭High bike

Well we could do with both but particularly Mike Casey we're a bit thin on the ground in the full back line.Im sure I heard JK say that Darragh would be on the bench for the Cork game but he wasn't don't know why.Hopefully he's available at some stage Sunday.

Just heard both are available

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

any update on Finn ?

I'm told he'll be available for a munster final if we get there

it’s a Munster final or we are out. I don’t think we can finish 3rd. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tipp beat Clare and Waterford beat Limerick

That would leave Waterford 1st place and Cork 2nd, with Limerick 3rd and Clare 4th on Score Difference unless winning margins hit unfathomable lengths which only then things could get weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,274 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Iecrawfc

A few decisions to make on Sunday if M Casey and O'Donovan are back...Kiely won't panic and will give those lads that had tough evenings in Cork a chance to redeem themselves, as we saw against Tipp that Cork midfield/forward line has serious pace and is full of running. Waterford will be up for it so it'll be a tough game to finish the round robin, they don't have Corks pace though so probably suit limerick more…what's the odds on a draw I wonder!

Well There's a conspiracy theorist on the Cork thread thinks the draw is arranged lol pure fantasy stuff both teams will be out to win and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I don't think anyone seriously thinks either manager will be manufacturing a draw! Not impossible though to happen though expect Limerick to win with a bit to spare with a second half surge.

• Advertisement

There is absolutely 0 chance of a draw being arranged it's just some lads loose the run of themselves,hope ur right about the result I'd be hopeful.

Cork win 2 games and they think everyone is already conspiring to get them eliminated 🤣

No in fairness its just a couple are at that sh1t,pure bs

Well Mike has to start anyway,wouldn't be sure about Darragh suppose depends how training is going and how long he'll last after a bit of a lay off.Im sure jk well make the right call.

how can a draw be arranged though ? In soccer it’s possible if both teams sit back but in hurling a point can be scored in a second. And if it’s a draw at let’s say 68 mins how could Kiely Davy meet talk and get that message to the all 30 players

Its far too easy for someone to last second stab the opposition in the back.

Talk of a fixed draw is only being said in jest or by nutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Knockdromin

Clare and Cork will probably be cheering us on this weekend because regardless of what happens in the other game a Limerick victory guarantees a Limerick v Clare Munster final with Cork on 3rd place.

If Limerick draw we are still in a Munster final but in that scenario Cork would be eliminated unless Tipperary beat Clare. For us; draw means Limerick v Clare Munster final unless Clare lose in which case it’s a Limerick v Cork final.

If Limerick lose; similar to Cork in the previous scenario we’d need a Tipperary win to secure most likely a 3rd place finish. In that scenario we’d only finish 4th if we lose by 16 more points than Clare’s losing margin. Limerick lose and Tipp don’t win we finish 4th.

Limerick, Clare and Waterford are all in the same boat; win and you’re in the Munster final. Draw and you finish top 3 and may also claim a spot in the final.

Cork need a winner in the Limerick Waterford game although a Tipp win combined with Limerick not winning gets them a Munster final spot.

Tippperary can only avoid 5th place with a combination of beating Clare, victory for Limerick and a 35 point swing in scoring difference between themselves and Waterford. Unlikely…. Also the satisfaction of knocking Clare out would need Limerick failing to defeat Waterford.

Fergal O’Connor had a few hairy moments v Cork. Limerick have dealt with injuries on most lines of the pitch but the full back line is the Achilles heel. Kilkenny successfully targeted Aaron Costello in the league semi final. O’Connor not quite ready yet and it showed.

Limerick need 3 of Finn, Morrissey, Nash, Mike Casey or Richie English fit and available for any given game; and ideally one of the other two on the bench.

Your 100% right the full back line and particularly the corner backs is where we're vulnerable .Fergal O Connor has the potential to be really good but he was thrown in at the deep end in Cork and eventhough he had a rough ride for a while I think he did well considering the pressure he was under.Don't actually know for certain what the story is with Richie,was told its not good but only heard it from one source,maybe someone else could throw light on it.

Post edited by High bike on

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Not made with hands

If it's in the dying minutes I can see the team in possession pass it across the back.

The other team will retreat and their full forwards will be operating just outside the shooting range.

Nobody would take a pot shot from way out in case he misses and the ball comes flying back and over the bar.

Nobody will arrange anything but if it's level with 50000 people whistling I can see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Montys return

Are we talking about the europa league final now?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I totally agree with that, I felt fergal o Connor got thrown into the deep end I think he has a lot to offer going forward. Let's be honest only the team knows what way m casey and o donovan are it's hardly ideal to be putting them in with so little game time.

I know Waterford failed to beat tipp and its on that sword they might fall but I do feel they are due a bit of luck I hope that luck doesn't happen Sunday. Of course unless it's a last puck of the game to draw it.

Im hoping they have already had their luck. Nobody tipped them to beat Cork or get close to Clare before the championship began.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭PIORUN

not sure. even if Clare lose, they still have the head to head over Cork so the only way Cork get Munster final is if us and Clare both lose….3 way tie on head to heads so their scoring diff gets them in and Clare gone completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭lim4ev

In all fairness they have had bad luck in the last few yrs though not making a wide In last play last Sunday was crazy they'd be through almost guaranteed if they had irrespective of the result on Sunday

But it was a 65 so it wasn't crazy or bad luck. They were not unlucky the last few years either they were crap.

Bad luck how? 2018 yes - mental injury crisis and a few suspensions on top and the “goal” in the game with Tipp. But that was 6 years ago now.

Awful luck with De Burca and hopefully he suffers no more long term injuries but have they had it any worse than Limerick in terms of injury issues in the last 4 years? No.

Rubbish in 2019. Respectable in 2020 and 2021.

Lost the plot in 2022 - win the league and there’s talk coming from the county of them being the team to beat and trilogies with Limerick in the championship (taking it for granted they would make both the Munster and All Ireland finals)

20 minutes into the game with Limerick they had a 5/6 point lead, we had just taken Lynch off with the hamstring injury and were without Flanagan, Hayes and Peter Casey; four reigning all stars. Golden opportunity to make a statement and back up all the talk. Limerick were 8 or 9 up approaching the 70th minute. Two late consolation goals flattered them.

2023 - mad keen to claim they were the better team against Limerick but never led, Nolan made three brilliant saves to keep them in it, and time and time again they bombed deliveries on top of our full back line who dealt with it every time. They were never winning that game.

Never led Clare last weekend. Giving out about an umpire making a correct decision? They can have no complaints about losing that game as they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot defensively.

A lot of their bad luck has been of their own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rjoe90

Not entirely true, in 2018 they were hampered by injuries to their team that got to the all Ireland final the year before, completely killed them. They got to an all Ireland final in 2020 so definitely were more than “respectable” that year. 2021 they got to an all Ireland semi final and put up a far better showing against Limerick than cork did in the final.
    2022 was their most disappointing year, after winning the league and were primed to kick on but that just never materialised.
    Then this year they definitely have been unlucky, good win against cork where nobody fancied them, a Last minute goal from Tipp denying them the 2 points in the second round and then a 50/50 call going against them in the Clare game. It probably was a 65 but it wasn’t taken from the correct spot. They should have been given one more play to get the equaliser. They will give Limerick plenty of it Sunday and we will need to be at our best to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Punt Road

• Advertisement

Plenty of luck used v Tipp. James Owens was worth a 7/8 point swing towards Waterford that day.

Advertisement