Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the English no craic.

Options
  • 05-01-2018 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Moved here about 3yrs ago and find it very hard to relate to any of them which I found a shock because I assumed it would be okay as its just the neighbouring country and consumed a lot of their media growing up.

Turns out only close friends have been internationals/europeans and English "friends" I have are at such a superfical level. There is one in particular that I think if she was not English I would be very close friends (or maybe if I changed etc) but we have the same level or connection you have to a quick fart.

I mannaged to get "excommunicated" from my family just in time for Christmas so spent a **** day alone over here and made me refect upon how little links to the culture or people here.

I am grand and very thakful for my interational friends here and would not change it for the world. But I just find it bizare how locked out I feel to the English groups here. Not a serious thread at all just - why cant I have the craic with these dry people? I cant be the only one having experienced this .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Maybe it's you and not them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

A lot of denial in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Some English are craictose intolerant

I can’t get some english humour like the office and morcom and wise Years ago, WTF was going on there ?

Alt Black adder etc was great

Could you find a better ground of English to hang out with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

How frequent are these quick farts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Your Face wrote: »
    I prefer here to NI but Id say mostly due to family issues and lower job prospects.
    Id say I am here by choice but I dont know it I am happy. Happier. But not happy.
    worded wrote: »

I can’t get some english humour like the office and morcom and wise Years ago, WTF was going on there ?

Alt Black adder etc was great

Could you find a better ground of English to hang out with?

Finishing a degree in a smaller town and hoping to move to a bigger city once I graduate. There is such a small circle of people here I wonder if I just dont click.
    Or if the issue is me not them.

I cant be such a tool if I have close friends from other places. I think I just cant read the social rules and cues in english friendships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Where about are ye? I found Yorkshire a tough nut to crack but made some solid mates in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Not a dig but if you're from Northern Ireland, they might find it difficult to understand what you're saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Depends how small the town is, where abouts in England OP is, type of degree they're doing (as I'm sure type of course affects cross section of society you might meet) and probably loads of other variables.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

English people don't have the craic. They have the bantz.
    Start having a bit of banter and soon you'll have more pals and mates than you can shake a stick at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Not a dig but if you're from Northern Ireland, they might find it difficult to understand what you're saying?

You'd be surprised at how well understood us Nordies can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Living in London ten years, some Home Counties middle class types can have a stick up their holes alright and can be a bit reserved in comparison to us but in the whole, such stereotypes are not all-encompassing. Take people as you find them and make friends as the situation warrants. Overthinking this sort of stuff will do you no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Forget that sh*t as well. They have as much difficulty understanding people with thick West of Ireland or Cork accents or wherever. Most of them can’t even differentiate as to whether someone’s from the north or south either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Irish and the English are 2 completely different races of people.

Strange considering how close we are too in terms of proximity on a world scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I had two stints living in England - first time was in London and it was pretty rubbish. Everything revolved around work and the after-work scene was good fun, but beyond that it was a pretty soulless existance.

Second stint was working in Leeds with occasional forays to Newcastle, York and Durham - fúcking brilliant......lots to do and see. Easier to play sport and be part of a club, easier to move around, more affordable cost of living! Had a great time. "ooop north" really is a different country compared to the southeast and much closer to the Irish outlook on life.

Got sent to Germany for 8 months during that second stint and spent the time wondering what I'd done to deserve such punishment (actually, it wasn't that bad, just different).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I worked with an American firm that had offices in Dublin and London. Several times a year we'd head to London and to be honest, they were mostly grand. Sure there was your pretentious types and those who thought they were too cool for the rest of us but by and large they were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Did you ever try talking to anyone in the U.K. Midlands? They seem to be speaking a different language.

Your Face wrote: »

AKA River in Egypt syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

You're meeting the wrong English people. I've met plenty of sound English people over the years and a few of them I'd consider among my closest friends.

Sure, there are plenty of twats, same as in any country. As for the stereotype about them being dry ****es... again, I think you're meeting the wrong English people. They can be great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Why are the English no Craic? Because they are not Irish!

How frequent are these quick farts?

+1

Also if you can’t smell them consider an operation on your nose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

worded wrote: »

Ha ha, I love this phrase, I'm going to "borrow" it. :D

I'm kind of with you OP, but it's probably your own fault - they can probably smell the disdain off you. Best to finish off that degree and get back to base ASAP. Craic awaits:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why are the English no Craic? Because they are not Irish!

Ironically 'craic' isn't even a word of Irish origin. It's a loanword from English...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

circadian wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how well understood us Nordies can be.
    don't know about that , iv'e been married to one for the last 29 years and sometimes i still can't understand her

failinis wrote: »
    There is one in particular that I think if she was not English I would be very close friends (or maybe if I changed etc) but we have the same level or connection you have to a quick fart.

The bitter irony is...you're in the home of fart humour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

London is my favourite city outside Ireland precisely because I've never lived there.

I'd like to keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Coming from Perth Western Australia. I lived in London for two years. I came away shell shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

mad muffin wrote: »
    Coming from Perth Western Australia. I lived in London for two years. I came away shell shocked.

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What happened?

I worked in retail...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The real answer here is the fact that they're living "at home" and you're not. They have friends and family that go back decades, they don't need any new ones. If they want a pint and some craic they'll go meet their mates in the local, not go out for pints with colleagues to talk shop all night.

The other immigrants are in your boat - no support network - and so are much more eager to reach out and form new friendships.

Although also, if your family told you not to come home for Xmas of all times, I suspect you may have other issues in effectively dealing with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

failinis wrote: »
    Moved here about 3yrs ago and find it very hard to relate to any of them which I found a shock because I assumed it would be okay as its just the neighbouring country and consumed a lot of their media growing up.

Turns out only close friends have been internationals/europeans and English "friends" I have are at such a superfical level. There is one in particular that I think if she was not English I would be very close friends (or maybe if I changed etc) but we have the same level or connection you have to a quick fart.

I mannaged to get "excommunicated" from my family just in time for Christmas so spent a **** day alone over here and made me refect upon how little links to the culture or people here.

I am grand and very thakful for my interational friends here and would not change it for the world. But I just find it bizare how locked out I feel to the English groups here. Not a serious thread at all just - why cant I have the craic with these dry people? I cant be the only one having experienced this .

Its not "the english". Its the fact that its always hard to break into a new group of friends.
    English people are at home and they already have their group of friends. Its hard work to spend time with new people.
    While you and the other internationals are both in a foreign country and looking to make new friends.

Advertisement