Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Men between 30-50 need to strength train?

Options
  • 03-01-2018 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Folks what's going on? I'm putting out some content at the moment on strength training for older guys who've tried to get in shape before and have come up short.

I'd love to know what these guys struggle with, and then come up with a way of helping them overcome those struggles. If anyone fits that demographic then please get involved.

A few questions for older dudes:
    1. What do you struggle with when it comes to getting fit & healthy? eg. diet, motivation?
    2. What pisses you off about the gym? The culture? The people? Why?
    3. Does your current shape scare you? Are you slowly letting yourself go?
    4. What frustrates you on a daily basis? eg. out of breath going up stairs
    5. If I had a magic wand to grant you one health related wish, what would it be?

Don't have to answer all at once. Any input or opinions would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

1. What do you struggle with when it comes to getting fit & healthy? eg. diet, motivation? Time.
    Other people using stuff when I want to. They're perfectly entitled to. I just have limited time so I don't need to be faffing about. No one is in the wrong really. It's just the nature of the beast.
    3. Does your current shape scare you? Are you slowly letting yourself go? No and no.
    4. What frustrates you on a daily basis? eg. out of breath going up stairs. Other people.
    5. If I had a magic wand to grant you one health related wish, what would it be? A 200kg squat.

I must officially be an older dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

A home gym would sort out the majority of your issues Alf...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

are men in their 30's older dudes now?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    A home gym would sort out the majority of your issues Alf...

It would except I would still have limited time. It's only a 5 minute walk to the gym anyway.

But I do like the gym despite my protestations. I rarely have to hang around too long anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

1. What do you struggle with when it comes to getting fit & healthy? eg. diet, motivation?
    Time, young family

This selfie crap, some of the new "in" routines (it's good to mix things up but a good diet and correct form will beat anything)

Used to train 6 days a week for the guts of 15+ years, last 2 years i had kids, no time, missed it most days, thankfully started training again 6 weeks ago, the first 2 weeks were a b***h, i can bench just over half the weight i used too, concentrating on form though - don't intend to lift heavy again.

4. What frustrates you on a daily basis? eg. out of breath going up stairs. Nothing that much

5. If I had a magic wand to grant you one health related wish, what would it be? My family are healthy (and happy).

In essence, i sacrificed for my family (i found fatherhood quite tough/exhausting at the start), happy to have done so but getting back on track but with a view to cutting and being fit for my family. I am a late father so i want to stay agile for the kids growing up!

From another old dude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

- Doing cardio
    - Too many Cardio machines
    - possibly - due to lack of cardio
    - Knowing cardio would help me get fitter and generally be healthier but hating it
    5. If I had a magic wand to grant you one health related wish, what would it be?
    - be aerobically fit without the need for cardio

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I'm liking the feedback on this

Young family, new job, moving house and don't make the right food choices more regularly than I'd like. As mentioned earlier, i'm hoping to get back in on a more regular basis, was training over the holidays so aiming to keep at it. Just getting back into the routine I find the hardest

Very little, maybe having to change the order of lifts due to lack of benches or squat racks. Apart from that, its always grat to get in and catch up wit people, while training.

No, it could still be better. Not letting myself go, just need to get back into the routine.

Not having enough hours in the day to do a proper training session, spend time with my wife and kids, do a good days work, be able to relax with family and get a good night sleep to allow me to repeat this regularly.

To have more discipline around what I eat when the wheels start coming off.... for whatever reason they come off for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

At 34 I don't consider myself old :D but here goes:

1. What do you struggle with when it comes to getting fit & healthy? eg. diet, motivation? Work, a young family and a sweet tooth
    2. What pisses you off about the gym? The culture? The people? Why? Groups of teenagers hogging the machines, people wearing big beats by Dre type earphones on their temples, snapbacks
    3. Does your current shape scare you? Are you slowly letting yourself go? I'm more working to undo the damage done already, 11 years of working shift work and poor eating habits have me in bad shape, but it's getting better
    4. What frustrates you on a daily basis? eg. out of breath going up stairs Not being able to talk on the phone and walk at the same time got me motivated to get back in action
    5. If I had a magic wand to grant you one health related wish, what would it be? Losing the belly, its where all my weight goes

are men in their 30's older dudes now?

Yes. 30 is the new 60.

And 40 was the new 30.

So its a slap in the face when they comforted themselves upon turning 40 that they were really only 30...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Yes. 30 is the new 60.

And 40 was the new 30.

So its a slap in the face when they comforted themselves upon turning 40 that they were really only 30...

Hopefully it only applies to men!
    I always thought I wasn't into older dudes turns out I have been for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I am 32 and was recently over 16 stone, down to 14 and half just before christmas and afraid to weigh in since.

Diet and the prep needed, busy job and can sometimes struggle to to eat at suitable time. Time after work as have young family.

Time basically - 15/20 minutes to and from gym
    Price - quite expensive to have this on top of golf club membership

Yep but approaching my first goal of 14 stone but lots of ups and downs this far

Aches, pains, strains particularly hips and sometimes Achilles.

Get rid of the gut and better flexibility/mobility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

1. What do you struggle with when it comes to getting fit & healthy? Diet,but im on day 2 of 2k cals a day.
    2. What pisses you off about the gym? Nothing.
    3. Does your current shape scare you? No
    4. What frustrates you on a daily basis? Relatives telling me butter is bad for me,and oh my you eat eggs every day.
    5. If I had a magic wand to grant you one health related wish, what would it be? Stronger joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

1. What do you struggle with when it comes to getting fit & healthy? Eating the right food.

2. What pisses you off about the gym? Nothing at present, but can see Ben Dunne increase his prices in near future .

3. Does your current shape scare you? No,but scares my wife :D

4. What frustrates you on a daily basis? Trying to get rid of my little pouch and trying to get faster in pool

5. If I had a magic wand to grant you one health related wish, what would it be? Cure my lower back pain I get from time to time ( Pilates keeping it in check though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

1. What do you struggle with when it comes to getting fit & healthy? eg. diet, motivation? None of the above.

I don't go and wonder why so many do when you can do so many exercises at home that are more than enough to keep you in shape if that's all you're looking for. With minimal equipment there are a lot of exercises you can do. Everyone has a floor. If you can add a bar (not the drinking kind) and maybe some rings, weighted vest, dumbbell/kettle bell you can do everything you need to do. For cardio put some runners on and just step outside your door.

No.

Mobility/flexibility.

Better mobility and flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Diet for the most part. Working 9-5, Mon-Fri helps with the routine but at weekends I'm never in the humour to make food or I'm associating healthy food with work.

I have this feeling that if I ask someone if I could work with their rack, bench, whatever I'll be slowing them down but generally nothing. To each their own.

I've been a lot bigger and a lot skinnier (which scared me more). I'm trying to be Goldilocks in losing weight but not as drastic I guess.

Yes my cardio is terrible. I've been doing some cardio after weights but would really like to do a 5k to 10k consistently.

A heated home gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

1. What do you struggle with when it comes to getting fit & healthy? Time - Young family
    2. What pisses you off about the gym? The culture? The people? Why? - Nothing really other than the usual stuff like looking for a weight to find it left at other side of gym instead of the rack by some inconsiderate w*nker
    3. Does your current shape scare you? Are you slowly letting yourself go? No - no cardio for a couple of months (GAA off season) Be fixed from Monday :(
    4. What frustrates you on a daily basis? eg. out of breath going up stairs - Lack of sleep and other people
    5. If I had a magic wand to grant you one health related wish, what would it be? Fix my knees/ankles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just for strength training or in general?

Before I got fit (I was over 20 stone), motivation was the big thing. You have to want to get fit and healthy (same as giving up smoking), in terms of exercise and diet. Still in terms of diet - you have to be motivated to stick with the diet/ make better choices/ spend time prepping food.

Now, in terms of strength training, time is my biggest enemy, with a young family. I can generally fit in my cardio around work and family, but that doesn't leave much time for strength.

The money, and time. I don't mind waiting, but when you're time crunched it eats into that time. Now I do a S&C session with a trainer, and one or two sessions at home/ work using bands, trx and kettlebells/ dumbbells.

Lack of mobility and niggles from running. My upper body is fairly weak. I predominantly run and cycle though, but only really addressing core issues the last few months.

Lack of time to fit in everything I'd like to do, but priorities!

How far back? I'd love to not have got into the shape I did, but then I did enjoy the beer and chips years too. More realistically, I'd go back to when I first started getting fit, and instead of all the walking I did initially, swap some of that time for mobility and strength work. Much harder to address it now when you have other goals than lose weight/ get fit. But again, I could do a lot of the walking around work and family life (who were obviously even younger then).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 peewee09

1. What do you struggle with when it comes to getting fit & healthy? Injury to lower back prevents me from doing a lot of stuff id love to try.

2. What pisses you off about the gym? The culture? The people? Why? People who don't put kettlebells, dumbbells etc back when they are fininshed with them.

3. Does your current shape scare you? Are you slowly letting yourself go? Doing ok in this regard. Looking forward to these next few weeks to see what progress I can make from current situation.

4. What frustrates you on a daily basis? When lower back injury flares up, can be a few weeks without exercise.

5. If I had a magic wand to grant you one health related wish, what would it be? Fix lower back. Id give anything to have it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Yes. 30 is the new 60.

And 40 was the new 30.

So if i'm turning 40 this year does that mean i'm in the new 30? I've already done all that 30's stuff.... do I really need to do it again?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

A few questions for older dudes: Older > 70 imo.

Balancing time - family, work gym etc etc
    Also tiredness - drive a lot with work which can leave me drained when I get home.

Not much, have muyown, of course I'd like more equipment...

Nope, pretty close to what I consider my ideal for me.

See question answer 1 really.

Wish I had access to this forum and the likes 30 years ago when I was starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Morini

- The Music. I'm not a fan of 'club' dance music, or high energy/BPM music but I can understand why a Gym would want to use it. But in every Gym I've been in it is really bad. Its the main reason why I won't join a Gym, I'd rather go for a run in silence than have that drivel hammered into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

My children take every opportunity to remind me that I'm officially ancient, as I've been an "over 50" since my last birthday. Now I come on boards.ie and find that I'm not even young enough for the "older dudes" category. :(

I'm also not exactly one of the "guys who've tried to get in shape before and have come up short" but as you've asked for any input or opinions ...
    I don't. I work in an environment where being fit and healthy is necessary to be able to do the job, and undoubtedly that mentality carries over into life outside of work, so all the diet/education/motivation is already taken care of. I would imagine that it's a lot more difficult to deal cross this threshold for people who've settled into a lifestyle of driving to work and sitting at a desk all day.

Just can't see the point of sitting/standing in one place doing exercise for no particular purpose. If I want to lift, I've got a ton of wood that needs to be shifted; if I want to use my leg muscles, I'd rather take a hike around a local mountain, or spend four or five hours dancing.

No. Yes. Sort of. I don't have a six-pack, but neither do I have a beer belly. Seeing the shape my parents are in is enough to remind me of what's in store if I don't pay attention. But I'm not going to try and compete with my sons either, so these days I prioritise stamina over record-breaking, which means a certain amount of "letting go"

Having to wait for out-of-shape 30-50 year olds to catch up! For the reasons given in Q1, at the moment, my body does what I expect of if. But my 30-50 year old friends who don't work in a physically challenging environment all suffer with an overall lack of stamina. It's no one particular thing (although I've never noticed any of them having shortness of breath).

Better teeth! :D And more opportunities to learn and dance the Fandango basque :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

42 at last birthday so pretty sure I qualify for the older category. On the plus side would be in the Master group if I ever decided to do a comp :) 

Time- two young kids, full time job and a wife who works full time.

Work out at home- mainly weather, pissing raining so either work out and get wet or miss a session

No & No- am in the best shape of my life strength and body shape wise, not as 'cardio' fit as I probably should be

That I did start lifting and eating health in my 20's and early 30's.

See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Diet majorly. Not an excessive one more a diet where I'm not eating enough.
    I've always been skinny and ate sugar/crap but I've also drank a lot of coffee which could (and has) keep my appetite at bay for the entire day. i.e. I could get up and go to work and drink coffee all day until I'm home and I would only be hungry once I'm home.

I can honestly say that there's nothing that 'pisses me off' in relation to the gym. I'm lucky to go to one that doesn't have that many posers and everyone there is accommodating to each other.

No. I'm happy with my current shape but what scares me is the future when I will inevitably have less time to go to the gym.

n/a
    That I had better ankle & shoulder mobility.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Work out at home- mainly weather, pissing raining so either work out and get wet or miss a session

See above.

If you had a magic wand, you should probably put a roof over where you work out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

TRS30 wrote: »

See above.

If you had a magic wand, you should probably put a roof over where you work out...
    No need for a magic wand, just build up some browie points with the missus so she'll agree I can put up a lean to beside the shed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Folks what's going on? I'm putting out some content at the moment on strength training for older guys who've tried to get in shape before and have come up short.

I'd love to know what these guys struggle with, and then come up with a way of helping them overcome those struggles. If anyone fits that demographic then please get involved.

Don't have to answer all at once. Any input or opinions would be great!

1- information on diet,nutrition,exercises. So many different opinions
    2- induction- day one what is etiquette- show me around. Show me the machines. All the machines. Have helpful staff not guys that ask you for 40€ for an hour if u have a simple question. Have staff that will deal with idiots that leave their towel on one machine their drink on another while using a third machine.
    3- not scared but don't like the way the older I get the more weigh goes on.
    4- the scales. But I know that I am putting on muscle and losing fat. Still annoying
    5- free healthy smokes. Lol. Still a struggle off them 2 years. Or a belly fat exercise

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Socialising. If you're eating healthily and going to the gym you can be tired on a friday night and people don't want to hear your gym stories. Or you can drink which can mean the next day is a write off and motiviation goes down or you can go out for a meal and you just don't know whats going into it.

Then after a while of not socialising it seems completely pointless and you chuck the whole thing in.

Having to do exercise when I'd rather do anything else, to be honest.

No and kind of. Re letting myself go I wax and wain over the course of a given year.

The fact that healthy living is so hard and living indulgently is so easy!

To be physically 20 again I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

30 years old.

Generally injury. Can't train like I used to and won't be able to compete again. Also being honest I love the session and probably drink too much when I'm out.

Boxing gyms are fine. Commercial gyms? Selfies, selfishness, people who haven't a clue how to share a communal space, sh*t left everywhere, weights constantly left on the rack (default where I was training), groups of young men posturing (swearing and shouting etc)

A bit to be honest, injuries flared up badly leaving me out for six months. Was working a hugely stressful job and travelling and also smoking and going out every weekend. Felt unfit and definite fat gain, thankfully am back in training now after loads of physio.

At the moment not being able to box to my full potential, off balance and no timing with injury a constant worry. Fitness is still shot but hopefully will come back.

5. If I had a magic wand to grant you one health related wish, what would it be

Repair the SLAP lesion in my shoulder, fix my bulging discs, repair the tendons in my knuckles and the ligaments in my wrists and also alleviate my sore knees. That'd be a sweet deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

^^^ Some amount of injuries for a 30 year old.

Advertisement