Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid work in multi national retailer

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I think it really depends on the situation. Say you work in a small place and you do an extra bit on top of your stated hours, well I wouldn't really have an issue with that. As long as it's not taking the piss.

In some jobs people put in horrendous hours, but there is an expected payoff down the line for doing so. A solicitor being made partner, for example.

Some time back I read an article about this in a German paper and the tax authorities there actually regard this as fraud, since the worker not being paid means that the taxman does not get his cut of the income tax that would have been due. Not sure if or how they actually pursue such cases, but no doubt it would involve disgruntled ex-employees. Not sure how Revenue here looks at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Just looking through glass door and the listed salary on there is more like 25,000

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Salary/Holland-and-Barrett-Retail-Store-Manager-Salaries-E36174_D_KO27,40.htm

Assume manager salary would typically vary depending different things like size, turnover etc

But I earn 26,000 a year in my job and it has very limited responsibilities, nothing like the responsibility of running a business

Advertisement