Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid work in multi national retailer

Options
  • 03-01-2018 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

I've worked a good bit in retail(well in fact the best part of 12 years in retail)

I have always thought that part of the job included unpaid work, but a buddy just linked me to this

https://thesecretassociate.wordpress.com/2018/01/02/unpaid-work/

A blog from someone calling themselves the secret associate? They work in Holland and barrett it seems and they claim that there is a lot of unpaid work for no return.

Maybe a former emplyee unhappy, but they claim that managers will routinely work 193 hours unpaid work over the year and receive nothing in the way of bonus...

Are things that bad out there in the world of retail...

They also claim that store managers get a wage of €27,500 a year in stores turning over €1 million a year :confused:

I dunno maybe they have a good pension scheme to balance this out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

“A buddy”, it’s a brand new blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've worked a good bit in retail(well in fact the best part of 12 years in retail)

I have always thought that part of the job included unpaid work, but a buddy just linked me to this

https://thesecretassociate.wordpress.com/2018/01/02/unpaid-work/

A blog from someone calling themselves the secret associate? They work in Holland and barrett it seems and they claim that there is a lot of unpaid work for no return.

Maybe a former emplyee unhappy, but they claim that managers will routinely work 193 hours unpaid work over the year and receive nothing in the way of bonus...

Are things that bad out there in the world of retail...

They also claim that store managers get a wage of €27,500 a year in stores turning over €1 million a year :confused:

I dunno maybe they have a good pension scheme to balance this out

That's called working for a salary. Loads of jobs pay salaries and plenty of people on salaries work unpaid hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    “A buddy”, it’s a brand new blog.

Yeah a buddy who just sent it to me and 5 others knows the lad who posted the blog his trying to get it to many eyes. I do have doubts that pay is that poor or that staff work that many unpaid hours. But have you ever seen their reviews on glassdoor about Holland and Barrett :eek:

If true its shocking considering how expensive their stuff is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Most of the stuff in Holland and barrett can be bought from amazon for half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Try working for yourself. That's taking "unpaid work" to a whole new level G

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    Try working for yourself. That's taking "unpaid work" to a whole new level G

yeah i can only imagine, but if you work for yourselves you at least have some autonomy.

But a company which sold for nearly 2 billion a few months back, it just strikes me a incredible greed.

Fair enough managers, who are on salary, but hourly paid staff too...surely thats not legal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

yeah i can only imagine, but if you work for yourselves you at least have some autonomy.

But a company which sold for nearly 2 billion a few months back, it just strikes me a incredible greed.

Fair enough managers, who are on salary, but hourly paid staff too...surely thats not legal

Shareholders Paddy, and yeah, your right. self employed do have that autonomy, but it comes at a cost in other areas. Most of the time I feel like I'm working for my suppliers. That's the cost I suppose. Multi Nationals have to work for the shady world of shareholders. That's the cost that they put on you. Try to get out of it, set up your own thing.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Most of the stuff in Holland and barrett can be bought from amazon for half the price.

Most of the stuff in Holland and Barrett shouldn't be bought at all.

Fad superfoods and quack remedies, they are just corporate snake-oil salesmen.

It shouldn't be any surprise that a company whose main business is selling questionable "health" products at vastly inflated prices are also a horrible employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note:Sorry folks, I'm closing this for review. We will get back to you on this in the morning.

Buford T. Justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Reopened, sorry about the delay folks,

Buford T. Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

193 hours a year is less than 4 hours a week. I dont see a store manager putting in an extra 45 minutes a day as out of the ordinary.

Ask any manager in a company, and he/she will likely be doing at least an extra ten hours a week on top of their formal hours. It's generally the price for advancement in a company.

All jobs tend to ask for some extra unpaid work... Don't want to do it? Then don't be surprised when you don't get that promotion. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

All jobs tend to ask for some extra unpaid work... Don't want to do it? Then don't be surprised when you don't get that promotion. Simple.

And for managers its not even being "asked" most of the time, not for those individual bits and pieces. Nobody from corporate is asking you to stay an hour late catching up on paperwork, its more that **** needs doing and its on you to get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That annual figure is a mere 4 or 5 hours per week. For a salaried manager that is small fry. I often put in more than that when I worked. It was no hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

My contact says 37.5.

I work a extra 2 or 3 hours a week !!!. Bring my laptop home and some days I end up checking emails when I get home.

Do I get paid not a hope in he but sometimes you have to work the extra mile. You can't be expected to be paid for every min you work over your daily working hours it just won't happen!!!. It's basicly **** that needs to be done some times. I cross over with the us west cost they don't come on to 3pm Irish time of course I have to stay back for meetings !!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Ask any manager in a company, and he/she will likely be doing at least an extra ten hours a week on top of their formal hours. It's generally the price for advancement in a company.

There is a saying that "you get nothing for free in this life" but that doesn't seem to apply to employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

27k for being a store manager is utter dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Most people who have a modicum of responsibility or seniority work “extra hours”; but then most senior people don’t get paid by the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If it's only affecting the managers then they can just up and leave if they don't like it. Nobody is forcing them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

27k for being a store manager is utter dirt.

13.31 per hour for 39 hour week for 52 weeks.

You'd make more giving handjobs to Junkies.

Or so I've heard

• Advertisement

If it's only affecting the managers then they can just up and leave if they don't like it. Nobody is forcing them to do it.

Link in OP suggests hourly paid staff are doing unpaid work.

The figure quoted for the salary for a store manager is about correct from what a recruiter told me in relation to the company in question. It's in line with that general staff in penny's get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Most retail jobs I've worked in do this thing where you finish at say 6pm but you stay back to clean up or face off shelves so really it's 630pm but you don't get paid for the 30 mins, that's 2 and a half to three hours extra for free. Once I got promoted to assistant manager and then onto manager the extra free hours got longer and longer as I had to come in before I got paid to set up the till and stay after everyone to close off the till, ring in the end of day and then lock up.

A certain popular kids jewellery shop was the worst for it, if you worked as an assistant or 3rd key from 9am to 9pm (which I very often did) you really started at 830am or 8am if there was a conference call to be had and finished at 10pm. I regularly worked up to 80 hours a week for feck all pay when my manager quit and was never replaced. I ended up getting no days off or breaks at one stage. Thought I was going to die.

Then I got past the probation time and got salaried and my pay halved straight away - I handed in my keys that day and walked away. Same pay as a regular assistant for double the hours and quadrouple the stress! No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Workers shouldn't be working for nothing, you're simply giving up your valuable free time to make someone else rich - someone who's obviously too f*cking greedy to pay people for the work they do. This becomes even more laughable when we're talking about big companies with huge profits.

Can anyone tell me why in particular an employee should be expected to work for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Dr Brown wrote: »

You're picking the wrong amazon seller - 65%+++ lower than h&b who are horrendously priced.

They are known for their hard act on targets with managers and area managers.

Managers here get circa 30-36k, area managers 40-55k

Its salaried and "average" working week is 40 hours - remember a working week excludes lunch, so 40 hours would be 5 days of 9.30-6.30

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

193 hours a year is less than 4 hours a week. I dont see a store manager putting in an extra 45 minutes a day as out of the ordinary.

Should unpaid work ever be acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The manger could be crap at his job and has to make up the workload by doing extra hours.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Workers shouldn't be working for nothing, you're simply giving up your valuable free time to make someone else rich - someone who's obviously too f*cking greedy to pay people for the work they do. This becomes even more laughable when we're talking about big companies with huge profits.

Can anyone tell me why in particular an employee should be expected to work for free?

I must admit that I don't get this kind of logic. Every job I've ever done has had some extra work that came usually after the official working day was finished. In return, I usually received an acknowledgment in my records or a "thank you", which often translated later into bonuses or factored into promotions.

Now, I get it. If you're working at a petrol station with absolutely no desire to stay long-term, it makes sense that you wouldn't invest in the company/career. But if you're working for an international company with the idea of furthering your career, and gain promotions, it stands to reason that there will be extra requirements. Why? Because it does show a commitment to the job.

It's not a matter of working for free. It's the matter of investing time with future returns. To show that you're different from the other employees that solely do the bare minimum. Just makes sense to me.

Guess I've been indoctrinated. :D

On a side note... If you feel this way against working for free, or working extra... don't go into programming. You'll do craptons of extra hours to meet release deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

In pursuit of variable pay and salary increases / promotions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Because they get mad respect on boards.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Also I'm not referring to the odd day at work whereby there's some extra stuff to be done and people need to stay behind, that's obviously part of life and I've nothing against giving people a dig out. My bone of contention is that when it becomes a regular thing, there is absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be an overtime scheme or some sort of remuneration for work done. Likewise, many places I know who expect you to stay late a few hours a week to be 'reasonable' would lose their absolute sh*t if you decided to come in a few hours late every few weeks.

Personally I find it sad that the only justification for millions of pounds of basically stolen wages is "if I'm a good boy I might be made a boss one day."

Advertisement