Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you like about Boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I initially joined boards as I wanted information on the college course I’m now studying. Without the site, my life would probably have taken a different direction.

I enjoy reading other people’s viewpoints and opinions. It’s fantastic and helps to prevent tunnel vision. I’ve read some fascinating snippets of people’s lives on here and it’s given real context to my own problems and life. The humour is great, debates are lengthy and detailed and it’s anonymous (to an extent, of course) which is a huge reason why people share pieces of their private lives.

Above all, boards is a goldmine of Information. Where I come from, not a huge amount of people are aware of boards and it’s given me certain advantages over others in comparable positions to me. I feel privileged to have gained the insights this site has given me and I try not to take that for granted. Valuable information is sometimes (even with the internet) not very accessible and boards helps to bridge that gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

73Cat wrote: »
    Boards is great company and a total distraction for me. It has and still is getting me through some sh1tty times. I love reading other people's views on things and has made me see some things in a whole new light, have also picked up some very useful tips/ info along the way. Young people of Boards, I love you all ! ( and the older ones)

If your life is going through a crappy time and you seek advice and solace in a certain forum, the return is awesome. I experienced that this year and it was a very very massive help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I love those mad threads where someone writes a weird OP and everyone just starts ripping the piss out of them. Doesn't happen so much anymore since AH went all serious and the trolls too agenda-ised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The variety of forums.

The insight and knowledge that's still here, within a - largely - civil environment.

Entertainment value.

The localised aspect to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

i'm fairly new here so I don't have a list of likes yet,
    but what I have noticed is that there are a lot of people here that say they have mental health issue's, suffer with terrible anxiety, or are very shy irl.

its an eye opener seeing how many talk about those things openly.

it's a bit sad to see, but I think its great that those people feel they can come on here(because of the anonymity) & chat away:)

so maybe it's not really something I 'like', but it's something I like to see

• Advertisement

I love those mad threads where someone writes a weird OP and everyone just starts ripping the piss out of them. Doesn't happen so much anymore since AH went all serious and the trolls too agenda-ised.

I miss how much fun some threads used to be. A lot of funny posters have gone, and there's less lighthearted threads started. That's a shame. That was the best bit, the distraction when you'd have a few free minutes of reading some utter genius/nonsense that could make you smile.

Yes I know I could start lighthearted threads but I'm useless at coming up with thread topics!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah its a while since I've seen a really entertaining thread. The one night stands thread was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

The farming threads are fantastic, as a dyed in the wool Dub I had no concept of farming life but these threads give me an insight into the lives of the last people connected to the real Ireland.
    A very hard life indeed for most.
    But dedicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The Late Late Show thread with the running commentary. More entertaining than the actual show itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I was 19 when I first heard about boards way back in 2000. I've known it for nearly half my life.

I view boards as Ireland on a screen. For me, Boards is up there with the smell of the old Guinness factory, garlic chips at 2 am, the clap when Aer Lingus lands, Fr Ted.

At any given moment a window on any aspect of Irish life from each corner of this great little country is just one click, press or swipe away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

There was a point where I started getting depressed reading link after link on Facebook...Trump here, royals there, I was just drowning.
    So I came back to Boards, and I had this cozy feeling, like we were amongst ourselves, talking sh!te about stuff that happens down the road, and I swear to dogs it did me a world of good.

Now there’s all sorts of talk about Boards going slowly extinct... what the feck am I supposed to do then? Go on the Read-It thingy? Urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

dusty207 wrote: »
    The farming threads are fantastic, as a dyed in the wool Dub I had no concept of farming life but these threads give me an insight into the lives of the last people connected to the real Ireland.
    A very hard life indeed for most.
    But dedicated.

I've no direct experience of farming (albeit my wife's side are farmers) but I sometimes browse that forum and it really seems to be a great example of what a much needed, very supportive internet community should be and not something you'd get in a lot of other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I like that you can use slang and nobody questions you. It's also a great source of information but whatever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Bargain Alerts is great. Got a 700 Euro camera for 300, Spotify for 2.50 a month, and flights to Kazakhstan for 190 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's a great site.

You'll get so much free useful information every single day.

You know it's good when the wife will say "can you ask someone on boards...."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Patww79 wrote: »

I forgot the prodigious waft of good vibes the forum often provides.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Cycling Forum

The Cricket Forum

The General Sports Forum

The Canoeing & Kayaking Forum

Dublin County North...

....and of course the hidden gem that is the Rugby League Forum

(bet you were getting worried there Tom;))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

1 the amount of normal helpful people

2 that little arrow button that opens the thread on the exact last post you read. Very handy

3 that "blast it with piss" was a standard answer to every single person looking for help in after hours for a solid 12 months. Cracks .me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

mfceiling wrote: »
    It's a great site.

You'll get so much free useful information every single day.

You know it's good when the wife will say "can you ask someone on boards...."

I was thinking about replacing the heating and a bathroom in my house and got an enormous amount of info about doing it from the plumbing section without ever asking a question at all. Its already there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

The weather forum is a good laugh. It has the total buzz of the natural Irish mindset where any sort of weather event is treated like a exiting blockbuster action packed supershow from mother nature. Everyone on it wants and expects action of some sort, the bigger the disaster the better. It's f**king class

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭addicted to caffeine

the amount of information and the sound people I've come to know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

That http://m.boards.ie is still working

Would be nice if the full version link still worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

dusty207 wrote: »
    Love the way you can while away the hours, wasting time as people think I'm busy.
    Anyway, this will stop for me tomorrow since I retire at precisely 2pm.
    Seriously :D
    Yabba Dabba feckin' Doo!

You collecting your winnings from the Euromillions then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

One isn't required to add 'friends' in order to engage in a discussion.

AH can be highly amusing, at times.

It's educational. Not in the sense that one is studying a topic, but about peoples character. For example in the religions forums you have a variety of atheists and believers. Reading tit for tat arguments gives one an insight into people and why they believe the things they do. There is a element of psychology there also, and I like that because it's exposed in the discourse.

Aside from that I like boards because I wonder about the real ppl behind the user names. Like Jupiterkid, AVB, Omakeral, Candie, and so on, posters that been posting for years. Just a random list of perpetual posters off the top of my head.

I think one of the ways one can learn about anything is to learn off other ppl and I think that's possible on boards.

AllForIt wrote: »
    One isn't required to add 'friends' in order to engage in a discussion.

AH can be highly amusing, at times.

It's educational. Not in the sense that one is studying a topic, but about peoples character. For example in the religions forums you have a variety of atheists and believers. Reading tit for tat arguments gives one an insight into people and why they believe the things they do. There is a element of psychology there also, and I like that because it's exposed in the discourse.

Aside from that I like boards because I wonder about the real ppl behind the user names. Like Jupiterkid, AVB, Omakeral, Candie, and so on, posters that been posting for years. Just a random list of perpetual posters off the top of my head.

I think one of the ways one can learn about anything is to learn off other ppl and I think that's possible on boards.

I wonder the most about some of the posters I rarely or never engage with, there's a few that I always notice for a variety of reasons and the way they post fascinates me. I see people who seem to have no self awareness at all pass judgment on others and I just can't understand how they don't see themselves. It's interesting to watch.

That said, if someone describes me as a perpetual poster, it's probably time to close up shop and move on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

valoren wrote: »
    The Late Late Show thread with the running commentary. More entertaining than the actual show itself.

This! The running commentary threads on different shows like Eurovision, Big Brother and The Late late Toy show have often produced some hilarious comments and just general entertainment!

Also, often when you're looking for info on Google all you get is American sites and opinions and experiences. So it's great for getting an Irish perspective on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It takes my mind away from reality and kind of situates me in a virtual world where we're all just tipping away and talking rubbish and giving little snippets of our lives. I still think there's lots of craic to be had on here. I post in a few threads where there's still a great community feel, most notably the reality tv threads- cringe- but we all know we're cringe, that's the main thing.
    There are some posters I think are awesome and I feckin adore them. But I'm not gonna name them cos that would be weird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I love the "Today I did something to my car" thread in the Motors forum, whether it's someone replacing the rear brake bulb of a 1998 Toyoto Corolla or someone taking apart the entire dashboard of a BMW 5 Series to replace the heating matrix I love posters sharing their efforts...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056991213

My other love is Bargain Alerts, I've save loads and probably if I'm honest blown loads but if you balanced it all out I'd say I'm ahead on my savings overall :D

Advertisement