Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublinbikes OR fold up bike?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

tringle wrote: »
    Just back from Paris and a lot of business commuters using these one wheel.electric scooter thingies, looked amazing and this was on old cobbled roads
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=electric+unicycle&rh=i:aps,k:electric+unicycle&linkCode=sl2&tag=authentech17-20&linkId=4a34e001cc85d098be72a75a77da4914

That's a recipe for false teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I have the Giant bike, it’s decent bit of kit in fairness. Bromton are brilliant but there’s a big difference in price! It is bigger than the Brompton and I am mindful of that when I’m on full trains.

I had the Giant as well, was pleased with it at first, but was disappointed at the build quality and rate things wore out in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Just back from Paris and a lot of business commuters using these one wheel.electric scooter thingies, looked amazing and this was on old cobbled roads
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=electric+unicycle&rh=i:aps,k:electric+unicycle&linkCode=sl2&tag=authentech17-20&linkId=4a34e001cc85d098be72a75a77da4914

They are no legal here. Not that I think its enforced in any meaningful way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

beauf wrote: »

Really I didn't there would be legislation covering such a new product to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

beauf wrote: »
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Really I didn't there would be legislation covering such a new product to the market.

I guess they're a mechanically propelled vehicle so would need insurance, tax etc, which they can't feasibly get? There's an exemption for eBikes, but not for these things - they'd be the same as Segways which can only be used on private land such as the Phoenix Park or in the IFSC.

It would probably want to be a pretty slow day before the guards would take any action though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

theres one that appears on the clontarf cycle track during the summer. i think an actual unicycle might be more practical, the thing is huge.

site_owner wrote: »
    theres one that appears on the clontarf cycle track during the summer. i think an actual unicycle might be more practical, the thing is huge.

you must be thinking of something different - the ones I've seen are the size of a briefcase. They're a pretty neat idea IMO - someone on a solowheel takes up no more space than a regular pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

It never occurred to me it would be considered for tax or insurance. As I say lots of business men whizzing around in Paris and their pavement surfaces are not even by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

probably, its a couple of years since i've seen it. i think it might have a had a seat

it might have been something like this

It never occurred to me it would be considered for tax or insurance. As I say lots of business men whizzing around in Paris and their pavement surfaces are not even by any means.

they may be covered by specific legislation in France (or the Gendarmes don't give a damn). Here they're not covered by anything specific, so they'd fall under the same legislation as any other "motor vehicle" but it would probably take a prosecution to confirm this.

Solowheel (similar devices are available from other manufacturers):

• Advertisement

Check out the last picture in this ad. Shows the different in size between a brompton and dahon bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Does that model have a battery/motor on it? Al the Bromptons I’ve seen very small and are nearly the same size as an old style briefcase

My bike (the Giant model) is bigger than the Brompton and to be honest the space shouldn’t be an issue on a commuter train where there is plenty of standing room. If our rail service was up to scratch additional standing room for one/two people wouldn’t be an issue. A quick look at Irish Rails twitter page shows that they acknowledge capacity shortages across their fleet.

It’s a very different issue on a severely overcrowded Intercity carriage though.

Foldup bikes and trains should be seen as a positive approach to commuting.

If seen one of those bromptons the other day, they are very neat looking.

My link seemed to have been removed.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/94zohQsDqIA/maxresdefault.jpg

Advertisement